From: Virgil on
In article <2e658$451b78ef$82a1e228$7519(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Tony Orlow wrote:
>
> > MoeBlee wrote:

> >> I don't know what your definition of 'axiomatism' is, but there are
> >> axiomatic systems for constructive mathematics.
> >
> > I dunno. I was responding to Han's comment. I think he means
> > constructive concepts vs. axiomatic declarations.
>
> It's a priorities issue. Do axioms have to dictate what constructivism
> should be like? Should constructivism be tailored to the objectives of
> axiomatics? I think not.
>
> Han de Bruijn

But if you cannot clearly state what you are assuming/accepting as true,
all you have is a morass of ambiguity.
From: Virgil on
In article <cddac$451b7c18$82a1e228$8598(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <c43c$451a2703$82a1e228$4034(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> > Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> >>Science is not a subset of mathematics. Neither is mathematics a subset
> >>of science nowadays. If 1 = yes and 0 = no :
> >>
> >>mathematics | science | result
> >>------------------------------
> >> 0 0 having a chat
> >> 0 1 soft sciences
> >> 1 0 nonsense maths
> >> 1 1 exact sciences
> >
> > Correction:
> > mathematics | science | result
> > 0 0 having a chat
> > 0 1 nonsense sciences
> > 1 0 not yet applied maths
> > 1 1 exact sciences
>
> OK. We are getting somewhere. So you believe that science without maths
> is nonsense ?

I am merely countering your nonsense that math without science is
nonsense.

According to history, and what can be deduced of prehistory, there was a
good deal of math, at least arithmetic, around long before there was any
science at all.
From: Virgil on
In article <9fd0$451b7e7b$82a1e228$8977(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <451a8f41(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
> >>For purposes of measure on the finite scale, infinitesimals can be
> >>considered nilpotent. That's all. Do you disagree?
> >
> > I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.
> >
> > There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
> > are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
> > but they are always just approximations.
>
> Crucial question: are those "approximation methods" part of mathematics?
> I'll take Yes or No as a sufficient answer.

They are a part of the applications of mathematics to things other than
mathematics, so they are marginal.
From: Virgil on
In article <af46f$451b7f3e$82a1e228$9075(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Tony Orlow wrote:
>
> > Psychology (and I've studied it a bit) is only a science to the extent
> > that it employs analysis. Most cognitive science uses at least
> > statistics in order to establish any kind of certainty in its findings.
> > I don't consider Freudian Analysis to be science. Do you?
>
> Why not? Does Freudian Analysis lead to a technology in a medical sense:
> does it help to cure people from a mental disease? If the answer is yes,
> then IMHO Freudian Analysis may be considered as a science.
>
> Han de Bruijn

I find myself argeeing with Han on the issue as a whole, though I am
somewhat doubtful of the efficacy of Freudian analysis.
From: Virgil on
In article <2338c$451b828d$82a1e228$10092(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <451ad7e9(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Psychology (and I've studied it a bit) is only a science to the extent
> >>that it employs analysis.
> >
> > That depends on your definition of 'a science'. There is nothing in my
> > definition of 'a science' that requires mathematics (or that bars it
> > either).
>
> How is this consistent with the second row in the following table,
> which is from one of your previous posts in the same thread:
>
> > mathematics | science | result
> > 0 0 having a chat
> > 0 1 nonsense sciences ( !! )
> > 1 0 not yet applied maths
> > 1 1 exact sciences
>
> Han de Bruijn

It was merely a parody of your own parody. I am quite wiling to accept
that there are sciences to which the need for mathematics is largely, if
not completely, incidental.