From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <b1fd9$451b85a3$82a1e228$11085(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>Virgil wrote:

>>>Does Han claim that there is any ball put in that is not taken out?
>>
>>Nonsense question. Noon doesn't exist in this problem.
>
> What has noon to do with my question?
>
> According to my recollection of the problem, there was a specific time
> (prior to noon) at which any ball which had been put into the vase was
> taken out.
>
> Does Han dispute my recollection?

Maybe we're not talking about the same version of the SuperTask.
So: where can I find this recollection of yours?

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <1159437062.473100.294820(a)k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>
>>Virgil schrieb:
>>
>>>Several sets may all have the common property of being pairwise
>>>bijectable, but if any of their members are distinguishable from those
>>>of another set then the sets are equally distinguishable.
>>
>>Each one of the sets expresses, represents, and *is* the same
>>(cardinal) number.
>
> Then one apple and one orange are the same because they have the same
> cardinality.

In _that_ respect, with respect to counting: definitely, yes!

Han de Bruijn

From: stephen on
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)dto.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>> In TO-matics, it is also possible to end up with
>> an empty vase by simply adding balls. According to TO-matics
>>
>> ..1111111111 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + ...
>>
>> and
>> ..1111111111 + 1 = 0
>>
>> So if you just keep on adding balls one at a time,
>> at some point, the number of balls becomes zero.
>> You have to add just the right number of balls. It is not
>> clear what that number is, but it is clear that it
>> exists in TO-matics.

> Commonly known with digital computers as "overflow" ?
> If TO-matics is an idealization of overflow, then it _is_ consistent
> anyway. Sad for you :-(

> Han de Bruijn

Why sad for me? Tony is the one who seems to deny
that you can ever end up with 0 balls, yet at the same time
seems to think overflow is possible. How is that
consistent?

Stephen
From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <1159437157.109258.97400(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>
>>Virgil schrieb:

>>>Def: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 1/3^n
>>
>>Definitions (even correct definitions unlike this one) don't guarantee
>>existence (I used above "to be properly defined" but I meant "to
>>exist"). Example: The set of all sets is defined but is not existing.
>
> Def, corected: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 3/10^k
>
> And it exists because there is a real number (actually a ratonal number)
> L = 1/3 such that for every epsilon greater than 0, there is a largest
> n such that | L - sum_{k+1..n}| >= epsilon.

Shouldn't that be "such that | L - sum_{k = 1..n}| <= epsilon" ? And why
that "largest n" instead of just "n" ?

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <76b59$451ba0bd$82a1e228$18077(a)news2.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

>>>How far would those who cannot count be able to find "the next"?
>>
>>And how do you distinguish "the next" from something previous?
>
> By pointing at them separately.
>
>>This is
>>not a joke. Many young children don't find it trivial that you shouldn't
>>count a thing twice.
>
> But they are much less prone to mistaking who has more marbles, or
> whatever, which argues that injection, surjection and bijection are more
> basic than counting.

Have two bags with say a hundred marbles in it and _make_ the bijection.
I wish you good luck. And, BTW, I would like to have a computer program
which does the job, properly. Video circuit attached.

Han de Bruijn