From: Tony Orlow on
cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
>>> Tony Orlow wrote:
> <snip>

>>> Here's a thing that confuses me about your use of the term "limit".
>>>
>>> In the usual sense of the term, every subsequence of a sequence that
>>> has as its limit say, X, /also/ has a limit of X.
>>>
>>> For example, the sequence (1, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, ..., 1/n, ...) usually is
>>> considered to have a limit of 0. And the subsequence (1/2, 1/4, 1/6,
>>> ..., 1/(2*n), ...) which is a subsequence of the former sequence has
>>> the same limit, 0.
>>>
>>> But the way you seem to evaluate a limit, the sequence of staircases
>>> with step lengths (1, 1/2, 1/3, ..., 1/n, ...) is a staircase with
>>> steps size 1/B, where B is unit infinity; but the sequence of
>>> staircases with step lengths (1/2, 1/4, 1/6, ..., 1/(2*n), ...), which
>>> is a subsequence of the first sequence, would seem to have as its limit
>>> a staircase with steps of size 1/(2*B).
>>>
>>> Unless steps of size 1/B are the same as steps of size 1/(2*B), I don't
>>> see how that can be possible.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Chas
>>>
>> It's possible because no distinction is currently made between countable
>> infinities, even to the point where a set dense in the reals like the
>> rationals is considered equal to a set sparse in the reals like the
>> naturals. Where there is no parametric understanding of infinity,
>> infinity is just infinity, and 0 is just 0.
>
> Uh, OK. I assume that you somehow resolve this lack of "parametric
> understanding" in /your/ interpretation of T-numbers.

Well, yes. That's the whole point, but I'm not sure which particular
numbers you mean. Maybe the T-riffics, which are center-indefinite
digital numbers?

>> Where there is a formulaic
>> comparison of infinite sets as n->oo, the distinction can be made. The
>> fact that you have steps of size 1/n as opposed to steps of size 1/(2*n)
>> is a reflection of the fact that the first set has twice the density on
>> the real line as the first. As a proper superset, it SHOULD be larger.
>> So, it's quite possible to make sense of my position, with a modicum of
>> effort.
>
> Well, let me ask you this:
>
> Suppose we have the original sequence of staircases, with step lengths
> (1, 1/2, 1/3, ..., 1/n, ...). Let S be the T-limit staircase; you claim
> that it has step sizes 1/B, where B is unit infinity.

Well, where B is some infinite number of iterations for both staircase
and diagonal. We can call it the unit infinity if you want, especially
since it covers a space of 1 unit. :)

> Now, suppose we just forget about the very first staircase, but
> otherwise continue normally. Now we have step lengths (1/2, 1/3, 1/4,
> ..., 1/(n+1), ...). Do you claim that the T-limit staircase has step
> size 1/(B+1)? Do you propose that 1/B is or is not equal to 1/(B+1)?

Oh, I see where this is going. I'm not saying that every problem breaks
down into B steps. Smaller and larger infinities can be expressed with B
formulaically. I am simply saying that, for infinite n, as for finite n,
the ratio between 1/n and 1/n remains 1 (slope of the diagonal). The
ratio between 0 and 1/n is 0 or infinite, if 1/n>0, and these are the
slopes of the segments comprising the staircase. You might conclude
that, in the limit, 1/n=0, and the staircase breaks down to segments of
(0,0). In that case, your measure is lost.

What I would say is that the sequence starting at n=2 has 1 less element
than that starting at n=1, if they have the same upper limit.

> I mean, suppose you actually started constructing staircases, starting
> with side length 1; I then enter the room when you start to construct
> the second staircase with length 1/2. I copy everything that you do
> from thereon, just as you do it: you make a staircase of length 1/2,
> and at the same time, so do I. You make a staircase with side length
> 1/3, and at the same time, so do I. And so on.
>
> But somehow, we end up with different results "in the infinite case"?
>
> Cheers - Chas

No, that grows out of an assumption that I think Big'un is some limit to
how many iterations one could possibly have, or something. When I read
what you wrote I went, "huh?? no." It seemed to be a mixture of standard
transfinite thinking and what I was saying, kind of like a cross between
a platypus and a tiger. In any case n, whether finite or infinite, the
staircase has length 2, as the sum of the lengths of the segments. In
the moving staircase, removing terms of order n^2, we have the same
limit curve as well. I liked it, anyway.

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
Han de Bruijn wrote:
> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
>
>> In TO-matics, it is also possible to end up with
>> an empty vase by simply adding balls. According to TO-matics
>>
>> ..1111111111 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + ...
>>
>> and ..1111111111 + 1 = 0
>>
>> So if you just keep on adding balls one at a time,
>> at some point, the number of balls becomes zero.
>> You have to add just the right number of balls. It is not
>> clear what that number is, but it is clear that it
>> exists in TO-matics.
>
> Commonly known with digital computers as "overflow" ?
> If TO-matics is an idealization of overflow, then it _is_ consistent
> anyway. Sad for you :-(
>
> Han de Bruijn

Haha. True. It is a matter of overflow, for positive registers. That's
why it's wrong here - an error. For signed 2's complement, it's not
considered overflow, but interestingly, 0 isn't the only number which is
its own additive inverse. In addition to 000...000, it is also true of
100...000. That's supposedly the largest negative, but it is its own
negative. Hmmm... 100...000 is really the representation of +/- oo in
signed binary.

Have a nice day!

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
Han de Bruijn wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>
>> Your axiom system is a farse.
>
> I'd rather think it is a farce.
>
> Han de Bruijn

Ooops, yes, but it might as well be in Farsi.

Tony
From: Virgil on
In article <ce018$451cd047$82a1e228$14108(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <b1fd9$451b85a3$82a1e228$11085(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> > Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> >>Nonsense question. Noon doesn't exist in this problem.
> >
> > What has noon to do with my question?
> >
> > According to my recollection of the problem, there was a specific time
> > (prior to noon) at which any ball which had been put into the vase was
> > taken out.
> >
> > Does Han dispute my recollection?
>
> Maybe we're not talking about the same version of the SuperTask.
> So: where can I find this recollection of yours?
>
> Han de Bruijn

The problem as I recall it was this:

Given an infinite set of balls numbered with the infinite set of
naturals and an "infinitely large" initially empty vase, and a positive
time interval in seconds, t, and a small positive time interval in
seconds, epsilon ( much smaller than t/2).
(1) At time t before noon balls 1 through 10 are put into the vase and
at time t - epsilon before noon ball 1 is removed.
(2) At time t/2 before noon balls 11 through 20 are put into the vase
and at time (t - epsilon)/2 before noon ball 2 is removed.
(n) At time t/2^(n-1) before noon balls 10*(n-1)+1 through 10*n are put
in the vase and at time (t-epsilon)/2^(n-1) before noon, ball n is
removed.

The question is what will be the contents of the vase at or after noon.

Of course, there can be no physical analog of this thought experiment,
but in mathematics the question has a clear answer.
From: Virgil on
In article <97d49$451cd1e0$82a1e228$15818(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <1159437157.109258.97400(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> >>Definitions (even correct definitions unlike this one) don't guarantee
> >>existence (I used above "to be properly defined" but I meant "to
> >>exist"). Example: The set of all sets is defined but is not existing.
> >
> > Def, corected: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 3/10^k
> >
> > And it exists because there is a real number (actually a ratonal number)
> > L = 1/3 such that for every epsilon greater than 0, there is a largest
> > n such that | L - sum_{k+1..n}| >= epsilon.
>
> Shouldn't that be "such that | L - sum_{k = 1..n}| <= epsilon" ? And why
> that "largest n" instead of just "n" ?

There are a number of equivalent variations on the definition of the
limit of a series. This is

Note that if there is a largest n , say n_0, for which
| L - sum_{k+1..n_0}| >= epsilon
then for n > n_0, | L - sum_{k+1..n}| < epsilon
so the result is the same as for the other definition.