From: Virgil on
In article <451d8c58(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451d6037(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> So, you have no answer. And so it's not important. I see.
> >
> > When have all the balls, whether removed or not, all been inserted?
>
> Not until noon.
>
> > That is the time at which all have also been removed, as no ball can be
> > removed before its insertion nor after all have been inserted.
>
> Repeat that to yourself 10 times, and you will see God.

Whose notion of god? TO's? Thank you, no. I prefer a god who works
within logic.

> > Except for the first 10 balls, each insertion follow a removal and with
> > no exceptions each removal follows an insertion.
>
> Which is why you have to have -9 balls at some point, so you can add 10,
> remove 1, and have an empty vase. Can you have -9 balls in your vase? Is
> it like a ball bank account that can be overdrawn? Are you sure it's not
> Cantor's ashes in there?

TO deludes himself with the notion that what does not contain an ending
must contain an ending. For him all intervals are closed intervals.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d8e56(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> There is no equivalence between oo and 0 (though I have heard people
> claim otherwise). Between oo and -oo there can sometimes be.
>

> > The fact that this bothers you does not constitute my "getting
> > into trouble".
> >
> > - Randy
> >

> Oh, you're in trouble, Buster.

Not nearly as deep as the s*** TO is burying himself further and further
into.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d8f8d(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Randy Poe wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> "[R]andy does not deny that the vase becomes empty". That sounds like it
> >> occurs.

> >> Does the vase become empty?
> >
> > Virgil and I differ on terminology here. As I have already said,
> > you are trying to pin down an identifiable pair of contiguous
> > moments where the vase is non-empty in one, and empty
> > in the next. As I have already said, a verb like "emptying"
> > conveys to me the existence of a PAIR of moments with
> > that property, of an identifiable "change moment". I would
> > not use the word "become" for the same reason.
> >
> > So I will continue to say what I have said. The vase is empty
> > at noon, because before noon every ball put in was taken
> > out.
> >
> > There is no moment when the vase "becomes empty". The
> > first time when the vase IS empty is noon.
> >
> > - Randy
> >

> Sorry, Randy, that's just daft. It's not, then it is, but it didn't
> become, because that would mean you'd have to think about that moment of
> becoming, and face the fact that you would need to have -9 balls two
> iterations beforehand to get an empty vase. Can you say "avoidance"?

What Randy is avoiding is TO's fallacious insistence that there must be
a last ball removed if one is ever to achieve a state where the balls
are all removed.

In a physical world that might be the case, but in an ideological one it
need not be.

When one plays out a thought experiment. one must play it out by the
rules given in that experiment.

To tries to change, or break, those rules, which is a form of cheating.
From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451d6602(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't put it that way. ...1111 can be interpreted as the largest
>> binary natural, if you claim all bit positions are finite.
>
> Calling all bit positions finite does not require that there only be a
> finitely many bit positions, and the binary string representation of
> every finite natural n requires <= ln(n+1)/ln(2) bit positions.

If all bit positions are finite, and the string up to any finite bit
position can only have a finite value, then there is no position in the
string where it achieves anything but a finite value.

Are you saying that aleph_0 naturals only require ln(aleph_0+1)/ln(2)
bit positions? You're not allowed to use aleph_0 like that, now, are you?

>>> and that
>>> ..11111111 + 1 = 0
>> ...11111 can be interpreted indeed as -1, as is done every millions of
>> times per microsecond all over the world in computers.
>
> Which of the worlds computers can work with an infinitely long string of
> binary digits?

The fact works for an arbitrary number of bits, including in the 2-adics.

Besides, any Turing machine can process an infinite string given
infinite time.
From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451d66c0(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>>> Yes it is a nonsense question, in the sense
>>> that it is non-physical. You cannot actually perform
>>> the "experiment". Just as choosing a number uniformly
>>> from the set of all naturals is a non-physical nonsense
>>> question. You cannot perform that experiment either.
>>>
>>> Stephen
>> Yes, they both sound equally invalid, and it all goes back to omega, but
>> Han has a point about the density of the set in the naturals throughout
>> its range, and the overall statistical probability of selecting one of
>> that subset from the naturals, even if having probabilities of 1/omega
>> for each natural presents problems.
>>
>> Tony
>
> Do statistical probabilities have to satisfy the condition that their
> sum over all indivisible outcomes must equal 1?

Yes, and that requires, for a uniform distribution, that we have a
precise count. If aleph_0 is some kind of precise number, then we can
say that a uniform probability distribution over a set of this size
yields a probability of 1/aleph_0, and if aleph_0 is infinite, this
individual probability is infinitesimal.

Then you can add them all up and get the unit of universal inevitability. :)