From: Tony Orlow on
Randy Poe wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:
>> At this point I can hardly remember what we were talking about, but of
>> course that's partly because you snipped the entire context when you
>> began this diversion. Randy and I were haggling over whether the vase
>> empties, and if so, at what exact time?
>
> No we weren't. I was making precise statements about
> the condition of the vase at different times, and you
> are trying to get me to make vague and incorrect
> restatements of those precise statements.
>
> The vase *is* empty at noon. It *is not* empty at
> any time before noon. I am refusing to use the
> verb "empties" because that implies a transition
> which does not occur.
>
> - Randy

If at all times before noon the vase is not empty, but it is empty at
noon, then that is when this event occurs. You say there is no
transition? Great, the vase does not become empty at noon.

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
Randy Poe wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> Randy Poe wrote:

>>> Why does the existence of noon imply there is a time
>>> which is the last time before noon?
>>>
>>> It doesn't.
>>>
>>> - Randy
>>>
>> I never said it did. When did I say that?
>
> I was responding to Han, who said that "If noon exists, that's when
> the vase empties".
>
> Noon exists.
>
> But in order for the vase to transition from not-empty
> to empty, there would have to be a last non-empty
> moment. That would be the last time before noon.

Yes, and at that last moment the last ball would have to be removed, and
yet, at the moment before 10 balls would have to have been added. Can
the vase contain -9 balls? :)

>> I will offer this simple
>> logical argument. If the vase ever became empty, it would be because one
>> ball was removed,
>
> Hence my continued statement that the vase does not
> "become empty". It is non-empty at certain times and
> empty at others.

How do you reconcile....

There is no transitional moment.

....with...

> Noon is the first moment at which the vase is empty.

Does the vase not go from non-empty to empty at noon? You're making no
sense. If you can't answer that simple question without getting into
trouble, that should be an indication that you're on shaky ground.

> But noon is not the transitional moment. There's no
> time just before noon where the transition happened.
>
> - Randy

So, it was non-empty at every time before noon and empty at noon, but
there was no transition between those two states? Then it must still be
non-empty at noon. This is ridiculous.

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <8cabe$451ccd62$82a1e228$12622(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>> Virgil wrote:

>>> They are a part of the applications of mathematics to things other than
>>> mathematics, so they are marginal.
>> That sounds like a smart answer, but I don't buy it.
>> Again: are those "approximation methods" part of mathematics? Yes or No.
>>

> They are attempts to bend the mathematics to accommodate the needs of
> the sciences, so one would have to say "Yes and No".

Would you like syrup with your waffle?
From: Randy Poe on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> Randy Poe wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> I never said it did. When did I say that?
> >
> > I was responding to Han, who said that "If noon exists, that's when
> > the vase empties".
> >
> > Noon exists.
> >
> > But in order for the vase to transition from not-empty
> > to empty, there would have to be a last non-empty
> > moment. That would be the last time before noon.

But there is no "last moment before noon".

> Yes, and at that last moment the last ball would have to be removed,

There is no "last moment" and no "last ball"

> and
> yet, at the moment before 10 balls would have to have been added. Can
> the vase contain -9 balls? :)

There is no "moment before the last moment".

Have you not yet figured out yet that given any two different
times, there are times in between them? That there's no
such thing as the "next moment"?

> >> I will offer this simple
> >> logical argument. If the vase ever became empty, it would be because one
> >> ball was removed,
> >
> > Hence my continued statement that the vase does not
> > "become empty". It is non-empty at certain times and
> > empty at others.
>
> How do you reconcile....
>
> There is no transitional moment.
> >

> ...with...
>
> > Noon is the first moment at which the vase is empty.
>
> Does the vase not go from non-empty to empty at noon?

No.

> You're making no
> sense. If you can't answer that simple question

I answered it. The answer is "no".

Somebody is asking you to think about infinitely high strips,
and the situation is analogous.

Think about the graph of tan(x), which you may or may not know
grows without bound as x approaches 90 degrees. For values of
x just above 90 degrees, tan(x) is large negative.

Here's the graph:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Tangent.html

If you increase x from 0 to a point just above 90 degrees,
the following things are true:
(a) For every value of x below 90 degrees, y = tan(x) is positive.
(b) For every value of x above 90 degrees, y = tan(x) is negative.
(c) There is no point where y transitioned from positive to
negative.

If you plot the number of balls in the vase vs. time, it behaves much
like one of those curves. You have a curve rising asymptotically
toward t = noon, and a flat line at t >= noon. But there is no
"transition" from the rising curve to the flat line, any more than
there is a "transition" from the curve of tan(x), x<90 deg to
tan(x), x>90 deg.

The fact that this bothers you does not constitute my "getting
into trouble".

- Randy

From: Tony Orlow on
stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>>> How is it a bastardization of the concept? You claim that
>>> 1+1+1+1+ ... = ..11111111
>
>> I wouldn't put it that way. ...1111 can be interpreted as the largest
>> binary natural, if you claim all bit positions are finite.
>
> I do claim that all bit positions are finite, but there is no
> largest binary natural. That is something you have invented.

That is what that binary string would represent, but of course it's not
any exact number, being a boundless string.

> So this "largest binary natural" of yours is not equal to 1+1+1+...
> for some number of 1's? In other words, it is not in the
> chain of successors? In what sense then is it a "natural number"?

You can think of it that way if you want, but since this number doesn't
exist as any specific quantity, I wouldn't try to do any math with it.
That's why the concept of omega leads to so much hocus pocus.

>>> and that
>>> ..11111111 + 1 = 0
>
>> ...11111 can be interpreted indeed as -1, as is done every millions of
>> times per microsecond all over the world in computers.
>
> I know of now computer that can hold ...111111 let alone
> intreprets it as -1. Remember, ...111111 is an unending
> string of 1's.

If you fill the 2's complement register with 1 bits, it's equal to -1.
This is true for any size register, and can be assumed true for an
infinite register in that context.

>> Those are two different interpretations of -1. They aren't really
>> compatible, as far as I can see, although Ross used to like to point out
>> that temperatures below 0 Kelvin were somehow hotter than any positive
>> temperature. There could be a connection.
>
> The moment you mention physics or Ross it is clear you are
> just rambling.

If you read what I wrote, it's on-topic.

>>> Why does that not apply to balls in the vase? Each ball
>>> is a 1. If a add balls, I add 1's. Do I not eventually get 0?
>>> If it does not apply to balls, what does it apply to,
>>> and how do you determine when it applies?
>>>

>> They are two different interpretations of the string. Do you honestly
>> think that I think sum(x=1->oo: 1)=0? For god's sake, how long have I
>> been saying it's infinite, and that's why any infinite set of naturals
>> would have to include infinite naturals? Oy. Like I said, you're
>> combining concepts that are mutually contradictory, from two different
>> number systems. And, people complaint hat I try to use normal operations
>> normally on infinite numbers....
>
> You are the one who is combining things. In "my" system ...111111 does
> not exist. Yet it does in your system, and it apparently is
> a natural number, and it apparently equals 1+1+1+.... (does it
> not need to be a successor of a successor of a successor and
> so on of 1), and it apparently sometimes equals -1. Can you clearly
> and concisely state the rules that govern ...11111111? If not,
> please never mention it again.

....1111 in binary means a 1 in every bit position, the value being
sum(x=0->n: 2^x). The question is, for which n does the value become
infinite? It is finite for all finite bit positions. Unless n becomes
infinite, the sum is finite. So, if you insist that all bit positions
are finite and the string countable, then the value is countable too,
and finite. It's not a specific value, really, because there is no
specific n when the bit positions are defined as all the "finite" positions.