From: Virgil on
In article <451d6de7(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:
> >
> >> Your axiom system is a farse.
> >
> > I'd rather think it is a farce.
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
> >

> Ooops, yes, but it might as well be in Farsi.
>
> Tony

Its all Greek to TO.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d83c4(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <8cabe$451ccd62$82a1e228$12622(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> > Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> >> That sounds like a smart answer, but I don't buy it.
> >> Again: are those "approximation methods" part of mathematics? Yes or No.
> >>

> > They are attempts to bend the mathematics to accommodate the needs of
> > the sciences, so one would have to say "Yes and No".
>
> Would you like syrup with your waffle?

So what balls remain in the vase at noon, oh waffler extraordinary?
From: Virgil on
In article <451d88ad(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Randy Poe wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> So, you have no answer.
> >
> > If something doesn't occur, the question "when does it occur"
> > does not have an answer.
>
> "[R]andy does not deny that the vase becomes empty". That sounds like it
> occurs.
>

> > If I ask you what date you took a trip to Mars last year,
> > would you have an answer?
>
> Does the vase become empty?
>

> >> And so it's not important. I see.
> >
> > I think you would consider a trip to Mars very important,
> > but nevertheless you would not be able to tell me when this
> > trip occurred.
> >
> > - Randy
> >

> I hear it's kind of boring up there anyway. Buncha rocks and dust.

Fit's TO's mathematics quite well!
From: Virgil on
In article <451d8a3b(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451d5d29$1(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> I believe Wolfgang is saying that, once you run out of the starting
> >> known successive symbols of your language, your alphabet, you then have
> >> to employ an actual number system, using those elements recursively.
> >> Since alphabets are generally finite, you can never represent "infinite"
> >> quantities, in terms of string length.
> >
> > One does not need to, as every finite natural is representable by a
> > finite string.
>
> But not every finite real, such as pi. That's why WM says pi doesn't
> really exist as a number.

Not as a natural and not as a rational.
But that is the case with "most" numbers.

> Personally, I think it exists as a point on
> the real line.

What TO thinks is not evidence.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d8b01(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451d5e15(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> I never said it did. When did I say that? I will offer this simple
> >> logical argument. If the vase ever became empty, it would be because one
> >> ball was removed, as per the gedanken, but 10 balls would have been
> >> inserted immediately beforehand. The vase would therefore have had to
> >> contain -9 balls, which I'm afraid is simply impossible. Don't you? It's
> >> a ridiculous set-theoretical result.
> > So is TO's conclusion that there ought to be infinitely many naturally
> > numbered balls in the vase for which he can not find the number of any
> > one of them.
>
> If you stuck aleph_0 consecutive balls in there, you have aleph_0/10+1
> through aleph_0 left in the vase.

Which, not being numbered by allowable numbers, do not exist. in the
original problem.

So TO is cheating by bringing in wetbacks.

> > Let us consider a slightly modified experiment in which as each ball is
> > removed from the vase, it is put into an initially empty urn.
>
> That was my idea a year ago.
>

> > Now at or after noon, ball 1 is in the urn (and not in the vase).
> > Furthermore for every n-marked ball in the urn, ball n+1 is also in the
> > urn.
> >
> > Thus, by induction, EVERY naturally numbered ball is in the urn (and
> > not in the vase).
> >
> > So which balls are still in the vase and not in the urn, TO?
>
> What's amazing about that situation is that you are adding 10 balls to
> the vase for every one you remove and put in the urn, but the urn ends
> up with all the balls and vase becomes empty. When's your birthday? I'll
> get you a label maker.

That is what the rules of the game require as an end result. Don't blame
the game for your own problems in understanding it.