From: Virgil on
In article <451d5f77(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451baaa0$1(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, at any given time 9/10 of the balls inserted remain.
> >
> > TO's "yes" is a claim that some ball does not get removed.
> > Name one ball, by number, which does not get removed, TO.

> >> At noon or before noon? You're skirting the issue.
> >
> > To is the one skirting the issue by claiming that some balls remain but
> > being unable to name any of them.
>
> Your labels are a bunch of hooey. Not being able to name which molecules
> of water remain in an ocean being filled at 10 liter/min and emptied at
> 1 liter/min has nothing to do with whether it ever empties. You're
> playing voodoo.

The game started with labeled balls. If TO wants to play it with
different rules, say with unlabeled balls, then one has a different game
that may end differently, but playing by the original rules of the
original game, the vase ends empty.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d5ff7$1(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451babf8(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It's possible because no distinction is currently made between countable
> >> infinities, even to the point where a set dense in the reals like the
> >> rationals is considered equal to a set sparse in the reals like the
> >> naturals.
> >
> > TO would require that changing the order relation on a set changes its
> > size as if reordering the naturals into a dense set, like the rationals,
> > would somehow make more of them
>
> The order of everything on the real line is quantity.

The order is an order relation only, nothing more.

> Virgil would require that the real line have a different length for
> every different infinite set he embedded on the line, so that they could
> all be the same size sets.

If one reorders the real line or any other ordered set, then the
"distance" between members of that newly ordered set depends of the new
ordering.

It's like wearing uniforms in school.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d6037(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:

> >> Does that answer the question of **when** this occurs? Of course not.
> >
> > It does answer the question of "whether" it occurs. "When" is of lesser
> > importance.
>
> So, you have no answer. And so it's not important. I see.

When have all the balls, whether removed or not, all been inserted?
That is the time at which all have also been removed, as no ball can be
removed before its insertion nor after all have been inserted.

Except for the first 10 balls, each insertion follow a removal and with
no exceptions each removal follows an insertion.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d62fc(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451bafc9(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> That's the question I am trying to pin down. If noon exists, that's when
> >> the vase supposedly empties, since it doesn't do before then. If the
> >> limit doesn't "actually occur", then vase never empties (not that it
> >> would anyway).
> >
> > If the vase were not empty after noon, someone ought to be able to say
> > which balls were in it. Since no one will say, I will continue to
> > maintain that after noon the vase is empty.
>
> Since it is impossible to say how many iterations are performed by noon,
> it's impossible to number the balls. If balls 1 through n are
> inserted, balls n/10+1 through n will remain.

Except that they don't.
From: Virgil on
In article <451d6324(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:

> >> There is no such number, since for each ball n removed, balls n+1
> >> through balls n*10 remain. I have maintained throughout that, despite
> >> your "labeling schemes", 9/10 of the balls remain, if you add 10 and
> >> remove 1 repeatedly. It is precisely like adding 10 gallons and removing
> >> 1 per minute. The ocean will never empty. Think measure.
> >
> > So which balls are left after noon, TO?
>
> If n balls are inserted, balls n/10+1 through n remain.

Supose we put the balls removed from the vase into an initially empty
urn.

Is ball 1 put into the urn by noon? Yes!

If ball n is put into the urn by noon, is ball n+1 also put into the urn
by noon? Yes!

Conclusion: By induction all the numbered balls are put into the urn
before noon.

Sop TO must be out somewhere making unnumbered balls and sneaking them
into the vase when no one is looking, at least if there are to be any
balls left in the vase and not moved to the urn.