From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <2e658$451b78ef$82a1e228$7519(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>Tony Orlow wrote:

>>>I dunno. I was responding to Han's comment. I think he means
>>>constructive concepts vs. axiomatic declarations.
>>
>>It's a priorities issue. Do axioms have to dictate what constructivism
>>should be like? Should constructivism be tailored to the objectives of
>>axiomatics? I think not.
>
> But if you cannot clearly state what you are assuming/accepting as true,
> all you have is a morass of ambiguity.

Ambiguity does not necessarily comprise a morass.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <cddac$451b7c18$82a1e228$8598(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>Virgil wrote:

>>>Correction:
>>>mathematics | science | result
>>>----------------------------------------------
>>> 0 0 having a chat
>>> 0 1 nonsense sciences
>>> 1 0 not yet applied maths
>>> 1 1 exact sciences
>>
>>OK. We are getting somewhere. So you believe that science without maths
>>is nonsense ?
>
> I am merely countering your nonsense that math without science is
> nonsense.

That's what I'm saying all the time. You are contradicting yourself.

> According to history, and what can be deduced of prehistory, there was a
> good deal of math, at least arithmetic, around long before there was any
> science at all.

No. Because that "good deal of math" must be considered as scientific.
Unlike aleph_0, it helped people to count their cattle and survive.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <9fd0$451b7e7b$82a1e228$8977(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>Virgil wrote:

>>>I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.
>>>
>>>There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
>>>are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
>>>but they are always just approximations.
>>
>>Crucial question: are those "approximation methods" part of mathematics?
>>I'll take Yes or No as a sufficient answer.
>
> They are a part of the applications of mathematics to things other than
> mathematics, so they are marginal.

That sounds like a smart answer, but I don't buy it.
Again: are those "approximation methods" part of mathematics? Yes or No.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Virgil wrote:

> In article <af46f$451b7f3e$82a1e228$9075(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
>>Tony Orlow wrote:
>>
>>>Psychology (and I've studied it a bit) is only a science to the extent
>>>that it employs analysis. Most cognitive science uses at least
>>>statistics in order to establish any kind of certainty in its findings.
>>>I don't consider Freudian Analysis to be science. Do you?
>>
>>Why not? Does Freudian Analysis lead to a technology in a medical sense:
>>does it help to cure people from a mental disease? If the answer is yes,
>>then IMHO Freudian Analysis may be considered as a science.
>
> I find myself argeeing with Han on the issue as a whole, though I am
> somewhat doubtful of the efficacy of Freudian analysis.

So am I.

Han de Bruijn

From: stephen on
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)dto.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>> So why is it okay to end up with zero balls, when you never remove
>> any at all, but it is not okay to end up with zero balls when
>> each ball is clearly removed at a definite time?

> Why is it not okay to approach the infinite otherwise than via the limit
> concept? Applied to a _finite_ sequence of events?

> Han de Bruijn

Your first sentence has a double negative in it, so I am
not sure what you intended to say. It is okay to approach
the infinite via the limit concept. Who has ever said otherwise?

Stephen