From: Virgil on
In article <451baaa0$1(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451b3296(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> You must have been a strange 10 year old, like that kid
> >> down the block that used to pull the legs off of roaches.
> >
> > Only those that looked like TO.

> > One can easily say that it is empty at any time at which every ball
> > that was put in has been taken out again.
> >
> > Does TO suggest that at any time after noon there is any ball that was
> > put in that was not also taken out?
>
> Yes, at any given time 9/10 of the balls inserted remain.

TO's "yes" is a claim that some ball does not get removed.
Name one ball, by number, which does not get removed, TO.

> >> If you say it empties, then you would agree that it either fills or it
> >> empties. When does it empty? You say, not before noon. You also say
> >> this does not occur at noon, but after noon there are no balls left. So
> >> when does this occur?
> >
> > When every ball that was put in has also been taken out again.
>
> At noon or before noon? You're skirting the issue.

To is the one skirting the issue by claiming that some balls remain but
being unable to name any of them.
From: Virgil on
In article <451babf8(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> It's possible because no distinction is currently made between countable
> infinities, even to the point where a set dense in the reals like the
> rationals is considered equal to a set sparse in the reals like the
> naturals.

TO would require that changing the order relation on a set changes its
size as if reordering the naturals into a dense set, like the rationals,
would somehow make more of them
From: Virgil on
In article <451bac34(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> If the vase is empty at noon, but not before, how can that not be the
> >> moment that it becomes empty?
> >
> > Saying that it is empty is quite different from saying anything about a
> > "last ball". andy does not deny that the vase becomes empty, he just
> > does not say anything about any "last ball out".
>
> Does that answer the question of **when** this occurs? Of course not.

It does answer the question of "whether" it occurs. "When" is of lesser
importance.
From: Virgil on
In article <451baf65(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > Randy Poe wrote:
> >
> >> What I would say about emptying is that the vase is empty
> >> at noon, but there is no identifiable time before noon at which
> >> we can say "the last ball was taken out then".
> >>
> >> At any time before noon, there are balls in the vase. There
> >> is no time we can say "there goes the last ball out" since there
> >> is no last ball in.
> >
> > What I would say about emptying is that the balls must have been filled
> > with liquor. And that you must have swallowed them all before you wrote
> > this post.
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
> >

> That's why Randy has that vase-like physique. It's from the distended liver!

Whereas TO is just naturally pear-shaped.
From: Virgil on
In article <451bafc9(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > Virgil wrote:

> >> Does Han claim that there is any ball put in that is not taken out?
> >
> > Nonsense question. Noon doesn't exist in this problem.
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
> >

> That's the question I am trying to pin down. If noon exists, that's when
> the vase supposedly empties, since it doesn't do before then. If the
> limit doesn't "actually occur", then vase never empties (not that it
> would anyway).

If the vase were not empty after noon, someone ought to be able to say
which balls were in it. Since no one will say, I will continue to
maintain that after noon the vase is empty.