From: Virgil on
In article <b1fd9$451b85a3$82a1e228$11085(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>
> > In article <d12a9$451b74ad$82a1e228$6053(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> > Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> >>And _that_ individual calls himself a physicist?
> >
> > Does Han claim that there is any ball put in that is not taken out?
>
> Nonsense question. Noon doesn't exist in this problem.

What has noon to do with my question?

According to my recollection of the problem, there was a specific time
(prior to noon) at which any ball which had been put into the vase was
taken out.

Does Han dispute my recollection?
From: Virgil on
In article <1159437062.473100.294820(a)k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>

> > Several sets may all have the common property of being pairwise
> > bijectable, but if any of their members are distinguishable from those
> > of another set then the sets are equally distinguishable.
>
> Each one of the sets expresses, represents, and *is* the same
> (cardinal) number.

Then one apple and one orange are the same because they have the same
cardinality.

> This is but *one* possible method, or better "schema
> of methods", to realize 3.

And it is a typically bad one, as aer many of "Mueckenh"'s schemes.

> > > The successor function *is* counting (+1).
> >
> > Not to those who can't count. Successorship does not require numbers, it
> > only requires "next".
>
> How far would those who cannot count be able to find "the next"?

Til they run out of markers. Possibly fingers or toes or pebbles or
whatever.
From: Virgil on
In article <1159437157.109258.97400(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>
> > In article <1159186907.615747.304410(a)h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> >
> > > 1/3 is a number, properly defined, for instance, by the pair of numbers
> > > 1,3 or 2,6 or 3,9 etc. But 0.333... is not properly defined because you
> > > cannot index all positions, you cannot distinguish the positions of
> > > this number from those with finite sequences (and you cannot
> > > distinguish them from other infinte sequences which could exist, if one
> > > could exist).
> >
> > Def: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 1/3^n
>
> Definitions (even correct definitions unlike this one) don't guarantee
> existence (I used above "to be properly defined" but I meant "to
> exist"). Example: The set of all sets is defined but is not existing.
>
> Regards, WM

Def, corected: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 3/10^k

And it exists because there is a real number (actually a ratonal number)
L = 1/3 such that for every epsilon greater than 0, there is a largest
n such that | L - sum_{k+1..n}| >= epsilon.
From: imaginatorium on
Tony Orlow wrote:
> imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> I'd have to agree that it would fill the strip only. Proceed, but it
> >> would be nice to know the context of the question.
> >
> > Ok, well just as a diversion: suppose you were on
> > sci.comp.graphics.crank, and one of the residents produced a long,
> > rambling argument, including mention of Planck's constant, twin-slit
> > experiments and more, at the end of which was a claim that outside the
> > strip would also be a very pale (ok "infinitesimally pale"!?) blue. How
> > would you try to justify your claim that the blue fills the vertically
> > unbounded strip only?
>
> I'd have to see their fill algorithm to see what their malfunction is.

Remember this is not a practical example. It can't be, because no
actual physical computer can simulate a boundless x-y plane.

> > Note that when discussing the behaviour of a real-world graphics
> > program, within a bounded window, it's possible to discuss the
> > paint-filling as a terminating procedure. With an unbounded strip, it
> > obviously isn't. So I would say something like the following: for the
> > paint to spill outside the vertical lines bounding the strip, there
> > must be a path from a point inside to a point outside. But since the
> > x-coordinate of the points on the path must go from (say) 4 to 6, at
> > some point it must be 5; and that point must be a point on the
> > boundary, so it would have crossed the boundary, and it's not allowed
> > to cross the boundary, so this can't have happened.
>
> Any general fill algorithm would probably leave some section of that
> infinite strip un-blued.

Really? We are talking about the (non-practical, not actually
implementable, [what mathematicians call 'infinite']) notional plane,
and a strip of width 3 that extends indefinitely up and down. An
algorithm by definition terminates, and this strip doesn't, so
obviously no algorithm could fill it. But there doesn't seem to be
anything difficult in painting a strip that goes on forever, other than
that the job can't be completed. Are you suggesting that somehow an
algorithm that purported to paint the whole strip would just stop at
some point? When the strip was a certain height? Even though it painted
without end, it would reach the end? (Oh dear, this all seems rather
familiar...)

> > ---- back to the point ----
> >
> > Now consider some other graphs:
> >
> > y=1/x, fill from the point (0, 0) - get blue lower left and upper right
> > quadrants, plus filling out to the white lobes that almost fill the
> > upper left and lower right quadrants. OK? (Graph is a hyperbola)
> >
> > Now consider the following two hyperbola-halves:
> >
> > y1 = -1/x (for negative x)
> > y2 = -2/x (for negative x)
> >
> > Each of these is a lobe in the upper left quadrant, OK?
> >
> > Clicking on (-23, 34) would fill just the lobe formed by y2=-2/x (since
> > this curve is always above and to the left of the other one); clicking
> > in the lower right quadrant would fill three quadrants, and the area up
> > to the y1 curve, leaving a (slightly larger) upper left white lobe. (I
> > hope all this terminology is clear.)
> >
> > Would you agree that clicking on (-1, 1.5) fills the sliver between the
> > two hyperbola lobes?
> > (I say "sliver", though the area is infinite, since sum(1/n) doesn't
> > converge - plus a bit of hand-waving.)

Do you agree, first of all, that there is an area between the two
hyperbola lobes? I'm using this "paint-fill" thing in the hope that it
clarifies what I'm getting at, but it isn't really relevant. Do you
agree that an unbounded line (like the lobe of one hyperbola) divides
this unbounded plane into two areas. Every point (p, q) is either _on_
the line, or in the upper-left lobe, or in the remaing three
quadrants-plus-the-rounded-bit?

Please say you see what I mean, or not. If necessary I can produce some
graphics, but ASCII is a lot easier.

> > Do you see a connection to the original problem?
>
> No. Would you care to be a little more explicit?

OK, suppose you agree that between these two hyperbola we have painted
an unbounded blue sliver, that goes on forever to the left, getting
narrower and narrower, but never having zero width, and also goes on
forever upward, getting narrower and narrower, but never having zero
width.

Suppose we replace the "Solid colour" paint, with paint that just draws
horizontal lines at integral values of y. In other words, horizontal
hatching. Where do you think the bits of horizontal hatching between
the two hyperbol[damn, I was hoping to avoid the plural]ae are? Each
hyperbola is always at a strictly positive y value, so the x axis can't
be included in the hatching anywhere. Here are the relations again:

y1 = -1/x (for negative x)
y2 = -2/x (for negative x)

So the lower hyperbola (can I just say "loop") goes through (-1, 1),
and the upper one goes through (-2, 1). Therefore, I think the first
bit of line goes between those two points - y=1, for -2<=x<=-1. OK? The
second segment of horizontal hatching goes from (-1, 2) to (-0.5, 2)
unless I'm much mista
From: Virgil on
In article <1159437976.649538.246020(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com schrieb:
>
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> > > I agree. If x is infinite, and that means greater than any finite, and
> > > trichotomy holds, then 1/x is in [0,1], and is real, though
> > > infinitesimal, of course. But, I am getting the feeling that set
> > > theorists now don't want to claim that infinite is greater than finite.
> >
> > I think it would be more correct to say that set theorists don't now
> > want, and have never wanted, to claim that some mathematical object is
> > greater than another mathematical object without an /explicit
> > definition/ of what is meant by "greater than" in the context of the
> > discussion.
>
> There is only one common meaning of "greater than" in arithmetic: If
> you subtract a from b, and the remaining is positive, then b > a.

In certain arithmetics, that is not so.

In the Peano arithmetic of positive naturals it was not always possible
to subtract a from b.

In the arithmetic of ordinal numbers a < b if and only if a is a proper
subset of b, and subtraction in general is not defined.

In