From: Virgil on
In article <1159438112.240001.268540(a)m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Dik T. Winter schrieb:
>
> > > The successor function *is* counting (+1).
> >
> > Wrong.
>
> After a while you will have run out of the predefined successor,
> unavoidably.

If that were ever to happen, one would have discovered a largest
possible number. But it does not ever happen, because for every set x
there is a set UNION(x,{x}) which is its successor.

> Then you have no other choice but to add 1 each time you
> proceed. That is counting.

That is nonsense.

> > > The successors are defined
> > > without counting only over a very restricted domain.

The domain (but not the set) of all ordinals, which is a very large
domain.
From: Randy Poe on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > Virgil wrote:

> >> Does Han claim that there is any ball put in that is not taken out?
> >
> > Nonsense question. Noon doesn't exist in this problem.
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
> >

> That's the question I am trying to pin down. If noon exists, that's when
> the vase supposedly empties,

Why does the existence of noon imply there is a time
which is the last time before noon?

It doesn't.

- Randy

From: Virgil on
In article <76b59$451ba0bd$82a1e228$18077(a)news2.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> >>Not to those who can't count. Successorship does not require numbers, it
> >>only requires "next".
> >
> > How far would those who cannot count be able to find "the next"?
>
> And how do you distinguish "the next" from something previous?
By pointing at them separately.

>This is
> not a joke. Many young children don't find it trivial that you shouldn't
> count a thing twice.

But they are much less prone to mistaking who has more marbles, or
whatever, which argues that injection, surjection and bijection are more
basic than counting.
From: Virgil on
In article <7b55f$451ba2f8$82a1e228$18740(a)news2.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Theorem: 0.33333 .. = 1/3
>
> Proof: 3 ( 1/10 + (1/10)^2 + (1/10)^3 + ... ) = 3 (1/(1 - 1/10) - 1)
> = 1/3 : sum of geometric series
>
> Han de Bruijn

That does not constitute a proof without an additional proof about the
sum of geometric series withe ratio less than one in absolute value.

A direct proof would appeal directly to the definition of the limit of
an infinite series.
From: Virgil on
In article <451ba9ed(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451b3097(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> But...but...but how can you reconcile those two answers??? :o
> >
> > As they apply in different contexts, no need to reconcile them.
> >> In which contexts do you find it more convenient for it to be 0?
> >
> > When one wants f(x) = 0^x to be a continuous function for x >=0.
>
> And, in which contexts would that be desirable?

When one is dealing with the collection of functions f(x) = a^x, a >= 0
instead of the collection of functions g(x) = x^a, a >= 0. The former
are related to exponential functions h(x) = exp(k*x), while linear
combinations of the latter, with whole number values for a, form the
polynomial functions.