From: Han de Bruijn on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

>>>The successor function *is* counting (+1).
>>
>>Not to those who can't count. Successorship does not require numbers, it
>>only requires "next".
>
> How far would those who cannot count be able to find "the next"?

And how do you distinguish "the next" from something previous? This is
not a joke. Many young children don't find it trivial that you shouldn't
count a thing twice. Or they have forgotten that a thing has been count
already and do it for a second time. But, are you really so much smarter
than a child? Have _you_ ever tried to count e.g. a hundred marbles in a
bag, without having the opportunity to take them out, one by one please?

http://hdebruijn.soo.dto.tudelft.nl/fototjes/appels.htm

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Virgil schrieb:
>
>>In article <1159186907.615747.304410(a)h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>>
>>>1/3 is a number, properly defined, for instance, by the pair of numbers
>>>1,3 or 2,6 or 3,9 etc. But 0.333... is not properly defined because you
>>>cannot index all positions, you cannot distinguish the positions of
>>>this number from those with finite sequences (and you cannot
>>>distinguish them from other infinte sequences which could exist, if one
>>>could exist).
>>
>>Def: 0.333... = lim_{n -> oo} Sum_{k = 1..n} 1/3^n
>
> Definitions (even correct definitions unlike this one) don't guarantee
> existence (I used above "to be properly defined" but I meant "to
> exist"). Example: The set of all sets is defined but is not existing.

OK. Virgil corrected this error. But even then. The correct thing would
IMHO be a theorem and not a definition.

Theorem: 0.33333 .. = 1/3

Proof: 3 ( 1/10 + (1/10)^2 + (1/10)^3 + ... ) = 3 (1/(1 - 1/10) - 1)
= 1/3 : sum of geometric series

Han de Bruijn

From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451b3097(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> Virgil wrote:

>>> 0^0 is, in any particular context, what it is defined to be.
>>> There are contexts in which it is more useful to have it mean 1 and
>>> others where it is more useful to have it mean 0.
>>>

>> But...but...but how can you reconcile those two answers??? :o
>
> As they apply in different contexts, no need to reconcile them.
>> In which contexts do you find it more convenient for it to be 0?
>
> When one wants f(x) = 0^x to be a continuous function for x >=0.

And, in which contexts would that be desirable?

>>> I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.
>> Infinite scale changes can.
>
> Not in my book.

You might want to expand your reading.

>>> There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
>>> are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
>>> but they are always just approximations.
>> Sure, but how negligible are those products?
>
> Negligible is like pregnant in that respect.

How mathematical of you.
From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451b3296(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> Randy Poe wrote:
>>> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> You must have been a strange 10 year old, like that kid
>> down the block that used to pull the legs off of roaches.
>
> Only those that looked like TO.

> One can easily say that it is empty at any time at which every ball
> that was put in has been taken out again.
>
> Does TO suggest that at any time after noon there is any ball that was
> put in that was not also taken out?

Yes, at any given time 9/10 of the balls inserted remain.

>>> So your conclusion from my statement that I would never
>>> say it's full is that sometimes I would say it's full?
>> Uh, you would say it contains an infinite number of balls in some
>> circumstances, as I understand it.
>
> Then you misunderstand it.

No, your labels misconstrue the problem with your silly fixation on
omega. Do I "misunderstand" that if you remove balls 1, then 11, then
21, etc, that the vase will NOT be empty?

>> If you say it empties, then you would agree that it either fills or it
>> empties. When does it empty? You say, not before noon. You also say
>> this does not occur at noon, but after noon there are no balls left. So
>> when does this occur?
>
> When every ball that was put in has also been taken out again.

At noon or before noon? You're skirting the issue.
From: Tony Orlow on
cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> Virgil wrote:

>>> Only by agreeing to disagree.
>> Or, by noting the many similarities and few differences between them.
>> There's not much difference between a good christian and a good muslim.

>>> 0^0 is, in any particular context, what it is defined to be.
>>> There are contexts in which it is more useful to have it mean 1 and
>>> others where it is more useful to have it mean 0.
>>>

>> But...but...but how can you reconcile those two answers??? :o
>>
>> In which contexts do you find it more convenient for it to be 0?

>>> I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.
>> Infinite scale changes can.
>>
>>> There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
>>> are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
>>> but they are always just approximations.
>> Sure, but how negligible are those products? Like I said, there were
>> terms in my infinitesimal sections of moving staircase which differed by
>> a sub-infinitesimal from those in the original staircase. So, they could
>> be considered to be two infinitesimally different objects in the limit.
>
> Here's a thing that confuses me about your use of the term "limit".
>
> In the usual sense of the term, every subsequence of a sequence that
> has as its limit say, X, /also/ has a limit of X.
>
> For example, the sequence (1, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3, ..., 1/n, ...) usually is
> considered to have a limit of 0. And the subsequence (1/2, 1/4, 1/6,
> ..., 1/(2*n), ...) which is a subsequence of the former sequence has
> the same limit, 0.
>
> But the way you seem to evaluate a limit, the sequence of staircases
> with step lengths (1, 1/2, 1/3, ..., 1/n, ...) is a staircase with
> steps size 1/B, where B is unit infinity; but the sequence of
> staircases with step lengths (1/2, 1/4, 1/6, ..., 1/(2*n), ...), which
> is a subsequence of the first sequence, would seem to have as its limit
> a staircase with steps of size 1/(2*B).
>
> Unless steps of size 1/B are the same as steps of size 1/(2*B), I don't
> see how that can be possible.
>
> Cheers - Chas

It's possible because no distinction is currently made between countable
infinities, even to the point where a set dense in the reals like the
rationals is considered equal to a set sparse in the reals like the
naturals. Where there is no parametric understanding of infinity,
infinity is just infinity, and 0 is just 0. Where there is a formulaic
comparison of infinite sets as n->oo, the distinction can be made. The
fact that you have steps of size 1/n as opposed to steps of size 1/(2*n)
is a reflection of the fact that the first set has twice the density on
the real line as the first. As a proper superset, it SHOULD be larger.
So, it's quite possible to make sense of my position, with a modicum of
effort.

Tony