From: Randy Poe on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> Randy Poe wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> But, you do say it fills,
> >
> > Probably not. I wouldn't know how to describe "full"
> > for an infinite vase.
> >
> >> or empties, right?
> >
> > It definitely empties, since every ball you put in is
> > later taken out.
>
> So, it definitely empties......

Yes.

> >> And, at the same time you
> >> say it does not do so at noon, nor does it do so before noon. When does
> >> this occur?
> >
> > It doesn't.
>
> ...but it doesn't!
>
> Wow, that's deep. Math is cool.

Cool? Yes.

Deep? I dunno. As I said, this is reasoning that I didn't
have a major struggle with at the age of about 10.

> > There is no last ball, so I wouldn't say there's
> > a point where the nonexistent last ball goes in, nor
> > would I say there's a full state corresponding to the
> > nonexistent last ball.
>
> Oh definitely not. I mean, definitely. Or not.
>

> > So the reason I don't say it's full "an infinitesimal time
> > before noon" or "some other time before noon" is that
> > I don't say it's full.
>
> But, you do say it's full or empty, right? :|

So your conclusion from my statement that I would never
say it's full is that sometimes I would say it's full?

Is this like when I say there's no last element of N, you
agree, and then you say, "so at the last element of N..."?

Let me try to make it more clear. I don't say it's full.
Never, never, never.

- Randy

From: Virgil on
In article <451ad7e9(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <451a891f(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> There is no science without mathematics, if that's what you mean.
> >
> > There are certainly areas of study which call themselves sciences which
> > are at most peripherally mathematical, such as much of psychology.
>
> Psychology (and I've studied it a bit) is only a science to the extent
> that it employs analysis.

That depends on your definition of 'a science'. There is nothing in my
definition of 'a science' that requires mathematics (or that bars it
either).

From: Randy Poe on

On rereading this, I think there was some confusion. Whether
through Tony deliberately misquoting, or a misunderstanding
on my part or Tony's, I'm not sure which. But Tony seems to
have conflated a statement I made about emptying with one
about filling.

Tony Orlow wrote:

This was about emptying:

This was about "filling" when I said it:

> > It doesn't.
>
> ...but it doesn't!

What I would say about emptying is that the vase is empty
at noon, but there is no identifiable time before noon at which
we can say "the last ball was taken out then".

At any time before noon, there are balls in the vase. There
is no time we can say "there goes the last ball out" since there
is no last ball in.

- Randy

From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451a8f41(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> Virgil wrote:

>>> It is close to hopeless to expect those who reject the law of the
>>> excluded middle (constructionists) and those who insist on it
>>> (formalists) to agree.
>>>
>> If neither can appreciate the other's point, perhaps. Some christians
>> get along quite well with some muslims.
>
> Only by agreeing to disagree.

Or, by noting the many similarities and few differences between them.
There's not much difference between a good christian and a good muslim.

>> The question boils down to whether 0^0 is 1.
>
> 0^0 is, in any particular context, what it is defined to be.
> There are contexts in which it is more useful to have it mean 1 and
> others where it is more useful to have it mean 0.

But...but...but how can you reconcile those two answers??? :o

In which contexts do you find it more convenient for it to be 0?

>>> Until TO can come up with an axiom system which simultaneously allows
>>> his infinitesimals to be both nilpotent and not, he is in trouble.
>>>
>> For purposes of measure on the finite scale, infinitesimals can be
>> considered nilpotent. That's all. Do you disagree?
>
> I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.

Infinite scale changes can.

> There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
> are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
> but they are always just approximations.

Sure, but how negligible are those products? Like I said, there were
terms in my infinitesimal sections of moving staircase which differed by
a sub-infinitesimal from those in the original staircase. So, they could
be considered to be two infinitesimally different objects in the limit.
But, dropping just those terms, the two were identical. So, sure, they
were "approximately" equal in the limit. By the same token, I think
0.999... is just an approximation of 1 as well.

:)

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
Randy Poe wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> Randy Poe wrote:

>>> Probably not. I wouldn't know how to describe "full"
>>> for an infinite vase.

>>> It definitely empties, since every ball you put in is
>>> later taken out.
>> So, it definitely empties......
>
> Yes.

>>> It doesn't.
>> ...but it doesn't!
>>
>> Wow, that's deep. Math is cool.
>
> Cool? Yes.
>
> Deep? I dunno. As I said, this is reasoning that I didn't
> have a major struggle with at the age of about 10.

Are you paying attention? You said it definitely empties, but it
doesn't. If it does, it doesn't do it before noon, nor after noon, nor
does it do it at noon. So, it doesn't empty? Do you even know what
you're saying? You must have been a strange 10 year old, like that kid
down the block that used to pull the legs off of roaches.

>>> There is no last ball, so I wouldn't say there's
>>> a point where the nonexistent last ball goes in, nor
>>> would I say there's a full state corresponding to the
>>> nonexistent last ball.
>> Oh definitely not. I mean, definitely. Or not.
>>
>>> So the reason I don't say it's full "an infinitesimal time
>>> before noon" or "some other time before noon" is that
>>> I don't say it's full.
>> But, you do say it's full or empty, right? :|
>
> So your conclusion from my statement that I would never
> say it's full is that sometimes I would say it's full?

Uh, you would say it contains an infinite number of balls in some
circumstances, as I understand it.

If you say it empties, then you would agree that it either fills or it
empties. When does it empty? You say, not before noon. You also say
this does not occur at noon, but after noon there are no balls left. So
when does this occur?

> Is this like when I say there's no last element of N, you
> agree, and then you say, "so at the last element of N..."?
>
> Let me try to make it more clear. I don't say it's full.
> Never, never, never.
>
> - Randy

Fine. When does it empty. At noon? Does the limit exist or not?