From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Tony Orlow wrote:
> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
> > Randy Poe <poespam-trap(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I think that when Tony and Han say "noon doesn't exist" they
> >> really mean "there is no noon on the clock in that experiment",
> >> as a way of saying "I have no idea how to answer questions about
> >> noon in that experiment, so I'll say that there is no noon and that
> >> way I don't have to answer any such questions."
>
> Or, we say that introducing noon into the situation as the time of an
> event creates a contradiction, since 1/n cannot be zero for any natural
> n. Since the vase can only become empty (correct me if I'm wrong) if
> balls are removed, and no balls are removed at noon, it cannot become
> empty at noon. On the other hand, at every finite time -t before noon=0,
> there are a finite but exponentially growing number of balls in the
> vase, with respect to t. That is of course because n, the count of
> iterations of adding 10 and removing 1, has an exponential relationship
> with respect to t (well, using 1/2^n anyway), and a linear relationship
> to the "size of the set". With each new iteration n, 9 balls are added.
> Now, I understand you may not agree with the idea that the size of a set
> might "change", but if you are talking about sequences, either over t or
> over n, then you are not talking about static sets, but about
> progressions. You are getting into measure, but cardinality affords no
> measure except in the finite case, where it's unavoidable. Basically,
> the n and the t are buried in the noon.
>
> > That sounds about right. It is also interesting that for some
> > reason "noon" is not a necessary part of the problem, but "rates"
> > and "iterations" are. Any formulation that ignores rates is
> > incorrect, but it is okay to ignore "noon", despite the fact
> > the actual question is about "noon".
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> It's about the pertinent variables not being lost.
>
> Tony

Hi Tony, Stephen, y'all,

At the time each is removed ten were just added since the last was
removed.

The supertask, infinitely many discrete events in a finite amount of
time, here this ball and vase scenario aka the Ross-Littlewood paradox,
is interesting to some extent when compared against the general
predilection here against the notion of dense discrete events in their
normal ordering.

There isn't a point at this case where the events are dense, instead
the standard would not have the time actually reach noon/zero/one but
merely approach it with the inductive guarantee that for however close
you get you can get closer, but not actually reach: look but don't
touch as it were. The points are dense to the left of noon, in that
between any select and noon there are infinitely many others, else the
process doesn't complete.

Time is presupposed to proceed at a constant rate, where various
excursions into physical theories ascribe to time various conditional
rates. Since Zeno is known the dichotomy of the supertask and constant
time.

Some people assuage their mathematical guilt that that limit is not the
sum by considering these notions of for example the hyperintegers, with
some expectation of completion in those infinite terms. While that is
so, there is only successor on these finite naturals, so the
hyperintegers could only be reached by somehow becoming infinite from
finite with the only supplied operation: unit increment. So, that's
denial.

I wonder what the reaction is to a statement along the lines of that
the points are dense in their normal ordering in the reals, in their
normal ordering of the reals. I believe it would be similar here the
reaction of the consideration that there is basically infinity that is
the compactification of the naturals: the covering of eyes, ears, and
mouth.

Those monkeys are blind, deaf, and dumb.

Now I'm certainly not calling anyone here except Virgil a monkey.

Yet, in the example of the counterexamples book which MoeBlee, who is
reasonable, polite, and effusive, has had access to read and who
claimed to be examining said source, nothing has been heard back of the
matter. You can get that for free from the library.

Nature is basically assumed continuous. Now, I'm aware with some
layman concepts of gauge invariance and the Planck length and so on,
quantized charge and etc., yet the atom used to be atomic, indivisible,
and it has been said the superconductor is one big atom. Some aspects
of the particle/wave duality in nature, physics, are seen with the
reals, comprised as they are of points on a, or in the, line, as has
been discussed here with regards to points on a line. The more closely
(sub-) atomic particles are examined, the smaller they appear to be,
similarly the universe' size always increases upon knowledge of it.
Does that not in simile match examining a lesser positive real?

Is there a universe ( of sets, or in reality)? The platonist has that
they exist. Are functions between physical objects, eg fields,
physical objects? Then the universe is infinite and as example its own
powerset.

Ross

From: David Marcus on
Tony Orlow wrote:

> Or, we say that introducing noon into the situation as the time of
> an event creates a contradiction, since 1/n cannot be zero for any
> natural n.

As far as I know, you are the only one trying to introduce a ball
insertion or removal at noon. The rest of us just want to know how
many balls are in the vase at noon, since that is the question the
problem asked.

> Since the vase can only become empty (correct me if I'm wrong) if
> balls are removed, and no balls are removed at noon, it cannot
> become empty at noon. On the other hand, at every finite time -t
> before noon=0, there are a finite but exponentially growing number
> of balls in the vase, with respect to t.

Since you said, "correct me if I'm wrong", let's examine your logic.
You say the following are true.

1) The vase is non-empty at every time between 11:59 and noon.
2) No ball removals occur at noon.
3) The vase can only become empty, after having contained balls, if
balls are removed.

You say these imply the following.

4) The vase is non-empty at noon.

Let's try the same logic on Stephen's example. You say the following
are true.

1a) The vase contains a finite number of balls at every time
between 11:59 and noon.
2a) No ball insertions occur at noon.
3a) The number of balls in the vase can only become infinite, after
having been finite, through the insertion of balls.

Therefore (using your logic), these should imply the following.

4a) The number of balls in the vase at noon is finite.

But, you say the number of balls in the vase at noon is infinite.

Or, consider the following translation of what you said into
mathematics. First some definitions:

For j = 1,2,..., let

a_j = -1/floor((j+9)/10),
b_j = -1/j.

For j = 1,2,..., define a function f_j: R -> R by

f_j(x) = 1 if a_j <= x < b_j,
0 if x < a_j or x >= b_j.

Let g(x) = sum_j f_j(x).

Then the following are true.

1b) g(x) > 0 for -1 <= x < 0.
2b) For all j, b_j <> 0.
3b) If t1 < t2, g(t1) > 0, and g(t2) = 0, then there is a j such
that t1 < b_j <= t2.

Therefore (using your logic), these should imply the following.

4b) g(0) > 0.

However, this is false. In fact, g(0) = 0.

Or, let's try the same logic on the modified problem where all the
balls are inserted at one minute before noon. You say the following
are true.

1c) The vase is non-empty at every time between 11:59 and noon.
2c) No ball removals occur at noon.
3c) The vase can only become empty, after having contained balls,
though the removal of balls.

Therefore (using your logic), these should imply the following.

4c) The vase is non-empty at noon.

However, you've said that this vase is empty at noon.

These examples show that the logic that you are using is not logical.

--
David Marcus
From: David Marcus on
Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> [...]
> layman concepts of gauge invariance and the Planck length and so on,
> quantized charge and etc., yet the atom used to be atomic, indivisible,
> and it has been said the superconductor is one big atom. Some aspects
> of the particle/wave duality in nature, physics, are seen with the
> reals, comprised as they are of points on a, or in the, line, as has
> been discussed here with regards to points on a line. The more closely
> (sub-) atomic particles are examined, the smaller they appear to be,
> similarly the universe' size always increases upon knowledge of it.
> Does that not in simile match examining a lesser positive real?
>
> Is there a universe ( of sets, or in reality)? The platonist has that
> they exist. Are functions between physical objects, eg fields,
> physical objects? Then the universe is infinite and as example its own

Not your best poetry. Doesn't even rhyme. Want to try again?

--
David Marcus
From: Virgil on
In article <454ab927(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
> > Randy Poe <poespam-trap(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I think that when Tony and Han say "noon doesn't exist" they
> >> really mean "there is no noon on the clock in that experiment",
> >> as a way of saying "I have no idea how to answer questions about
> >> noon in that experiment, so I'll say that there is no noon and that
> >> way I don't have to answer any such questions."
>
> Or, we say that introducing noon into the situation as the time of an
> event creates a contradiction, since 1/n cannot be zero for any natural
> n. Since the vase can only become empty (correct me if I'm wrong) if
> balls are removed, and no balls are removed at noon, it cannot become
> empty at noon.

How can the vase be non-empty when every ball has been removed?
Every ball is removed from the vase before noon, but TO claims that some
of them must somehow sneak back into the vase when no one is looking to
make the vase not empty after all balls have been removed..

> On the other hand, at every finite time -t before noon=0,
> there are a finite but exponentially growing number of balls in the
> vase, with respect to t.

On the contrary, at most times nothing at all is happening. There are
only countably many instants in an interval of uncountably many, at
which any changes occur.

TO cannot overcome the fact that every ball inserted before noon is
removed before noon.

> It's about the pertinent variables not being lost.

It is pertinent that every ball inserted before noon is removed before
noon. But TO tries to bury that fact.
From: David Marcus on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <454ab927(a)news2.lightlink.com>, Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> > Or, we say that introducing noon into the situation as the time of an
> > event creates a contradiction, since 1/n cannot be zero for any natural
> > n. Since the vase can only become empty (correct me if I'm wrong) if
> > balls are removed, and no balls are removed at noon, it cannot become
> > empty at noon.
>
> How can the vase be non-empty when every ball has been removed?
> Every ball is removed from the vase before noon, but TO claims that some
> of them must somehow sneak back into the vase when no one is looking to
> make the vase not empty after all balls have been removed..

Oh, I know that one: Tony shows the vase is not empty and you show it
is. Therefore ZFC is inconsistent!

--
David Marcus