From: Tony Orlow on

From: Tony Orlow on
Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <1162432710.713593.264080(a)h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
> ,
> cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
>
>> I went round and round and round and round with Tony regarding the
>> "staircase" problem, in which, to make the point that the lim f(g(n))
>> is not always the same as f(lim g(n)), I gave an absurd "proof" that
>> the length of the diagonal of a unit square is 2. (A google of "chas
>> diagonal" in sci.math brings you to a random but representative section
>> of the discussion under the thread "Calculus XOR Probability", if
>> you're feeling interested or even just excessively bored).
>>
>> Part of the argument was an (increasingly painstakingly detailed)
>> definition of "the limit of a sequence of curves", which gave the limit
>> of a sequence of progressively finer staircases in R^2 traversing
>> opposing corners of the unit square as being the diagonal of the unit
>> square. Each staircase has length 2; but of course (I said, spreading
>> my arms and smiling encouragingly) the length of the diagonal of the
>> unit square obviously /cannot/ be 2, so therefore...
>
> I cannot resolve this problem, and have not located the
> thread you cite. If we define a curve in R^2 as a
> continuous map from [0,1] to R^2, how do we exclude the
> staircase sequence as a converging to the curve?
> Possibly by saying that a piecewise linear
> approximation must have the terminal points of the line
> segments on the curve. But how do we know that other
> pathologies do not lurk? What exactly is necessary for
> a sequence of curves to converge to a curve, and what
> curve is it?

Hi Michael. Excellent questions. This arose in, I think, Calculus XOR
Probability, but then I started a thread to discuss the topic itself,
Infinite Induction and the Limits of Curves. Here's a google link:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/browse_thread/thread/244a0fcf9c0091a3/d4015d66efa494e4?lnk=st&q=diagonal+staircase+limit&rnum=2&hl=en

The link to my paper in the post is expired. Here's a new link to my
paper, which I just uploaded:

http://www.lightlink.com/tony/Limits.htm

In short, my contention is that inductive proof works, not only for
finite n, but also for infinite n, when proving equalities between
expressions, or inequalities based on differences which do not have a
limit of 0 as x->oo. Chas' example was meant to be a counterexample to
such use of infinite-case induction, by showing that such inductive
arguments do not hold in the infinite case, since the infinite-case
staircase "clearly" has a length of sqrt(2), not 2 as inductively
proven. However, my immediate response to this was that the staircase in
the limit is not the same object as the diagonal, because it still
maintains those right angles, and is therefore not a straight line
exactly, but rather a sort of fractal, whose length actually is 2.

While the two objects seem to be the same from the point-set
perspective, since points can only be distinguished if there is
measurable distance between them, and the distance between corresponding
points has a lower bound of 0, point-set is not the only perspective.
Since points have no measure other than location, it is not surprising
that measure would be lost in the translation of a curve into points.

So, I reformulated the problem as a segment-sequence topology, which
clearly shows a difference between the two objects. Then Chas asked for
an example of another curve that WAS the same as the diagonal in the
limit, so I concocted such a thing, a saw tooth that went from vertical
to diagonal as n increased, in segment-sequence form, which gave an
answer that differed from the original staircase by some infinitesimal
amount, which could be discarded according to the notion that the square
of an infinitesimal may be considered as nothing. Anyway, if you care to
read the thing, it's short, and now you have the links. :)

Tony
From: Tony Orlow on
David R Tribble wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>>> What part of my definition says that? For the positives:
>>> 1 e H
>>> x e H -> 2^x e H
>>> x e H -> 2^-x e H
>
> David R Tribble wrote [some paragraphs later]:
>>> No, there are no successors in your tree for that number p,
>>> because there is no last L/R branch in the path defining that
>>> H2-number. So there can be no different or next branching for
>>> the "last" node for either successor of p, because there is no last
>>> node in the path.
>>>
>>> I'm talking over your head here, because you obviously do not
>>> follow what I'm saying.
>
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> Geeze, David, flatter yourself a little, why don't you?
>>
>> You are upset because what is clearly an uncountably long string might
>> have a successor. That's understandable. But, allow me to elaborate a
>> tad. I'll break into pieces so you can respond bit by bit:
>>
>> The function 2^x, as a real function, is continuous over R. It goes from
>> an asymptotic y of 0 as x->-oo to an asymptotic y of oo as x->oo, and no
>> discontinuities in between, monotonically increasing from -oo to oo. Right?
>>
>> Since the function is monotonically increasing, one can always find an
>> intermediate value between a and b, which is 2^((log(a)+log(b))/2), that
>> is, f((g(a)+g(b))/2), where f(x)=2^x, f(g(x))=g(f(x)), xeR. Right?
>>
>> Does that not make this set continuous over the range of reals?
>
> Sure.
>

>> So, we're left with a little conundrum.
>>
>> Every unique real x has a unique real y such that 2^x=y, and such that
>> -2^x=-y. So each real has two successors. We can't pick a point where
>> that's not true. We can start anywhere (of course, zero's a good spot to
>> start), but in any case, in enumerating this uncountable set, we're
>> going to get to uncountable strings, which have successors.
>
> You're confusing things here. You're going to get countably infinite
> long digits strings (I suspect that most of your H-riffic numbers are
> irrational). However, you will only be able to derive a countably
> infinite number of them. Most of the reals will not be derived by
> your rules, regardless of the starting point.
>
> I've given a simple example many times. Starting with 0, your
> rules will never generate 3, 1/3, or any integer multiple or
> power of 3. You still have not responded to that little flaw,
> which would go a long way towards convincing others that
> you might be on to something.

Why is that a flaw in the H-riffics, and not in the digital reals? You
cannot express 1/3 as a decimal fraction either. Do the decimal
fractions constitute a countable set? That's counter to Cantor's
Diagonal Argument for the uncountability of the reals. The set of all
digital fractions is uncountable. The set of all H-riffics is
uncountable. Every digital fraction has successor and predecessor as
well, when the bits are mirrored to the other side of the digital point,
and ordered as naturals. Ah, you say, but 0.333... does not have a
natural mirror, since ...333 is not a natural. And yet, I say to you,
that is every digit in that string is in a finite position with respect
to the digital point, then there is no point in that string where it
achieves an infinite value, and so it represents some sort of finite but
unbounded quantity. Since any such unending strings also has a successor
and a predecessor (except perhaps for ...000 and ...999), it would seem
that in two significant ways such numbers are very like the terminated
finite strings you call naturals. You might be reassured by keeping in
mind that the set of such finite string representations of infinite
strings is still countable, since they depend on a repetition of a
finite string of digits.

>> David - If every element in the reals has at least one successor, what
>> does that say to you?
>
> Not much, apart from the fact that some countable subset of the reals
> is covered by your generating rules.
>
> Your rules produce a countable set by their very nature. For any
> H-riffic H_n, I can produce H_2n and H_2n+1 from it. Which means
> that I can map every natural k to some H-riffic, and vice versa.
> Hence the H-riffics are a countable set.

But there is no r in R for which you can say there is no successor. How
do you partition R into countable subsets? Which r in R does not have
two successors?
From: Tony Orlow on
David R Tribble wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>>> It holds for all finite naturals, but if there are an infinite number of
>>> naturals generating using increment, then there are naturals which are
>>> the result of infinite increments, which must have infinite value.
>
> David R Tribble wrote:
>>> Can you show us one of those infinite naturals?
>>>
>>> And while you're at it, show us the finite natural that is its
>>> predecessor. Of course, you first have to define what you mean
>>> by "infinite increments".
>
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> I meant an infinite number of increments, each being a successive
>> difference of +1 in measure.
>>
>> Here is an infinite natural, Big'un: 100...000. That's in binary, and
>> there are log2(Big'un) 0's after the 1, so the most significant bit is
>> at log2(Big'un). Its predecessor, 0111...111, with the 0 also at
>> log2(Big'un), is also infinite, as are countably, or evenly uncountably
>> many, in the chain of predecession.
>
> Your BigUn notational is meaningless. I'm assuming that you're
> building on the existing positional digit notation we are all familiar
> with, which is:
> for all x in R,
> x = (sum{i=0 to oo} d_i x B^i) x B^p,
> for some base B and some integer p, and 0 <= d_i < B.

First of all, you're summing digits only to the right of the digital
point, and why are you multiplying them by some power of the base after
that? I don't see any fractional component.

I'd say:
for all x in R
x = (sum{i=-oo to oo} d_i x B^i)
for some natural base B and some natural d_i such that 0<=d_i<B.

That covers all digits, left and right.

> For naturals, we can simplify that a bit by eliminating fractional
> digits (negative powers of B):
> for all n in N,
> n = sum{i=0 to oo} d_i x B^i.

Sure.

> Your notation looks to be, in more formal terms:
> for all n in T,
> n = (sum{i=0 to oo} d_i x B^i) + (sum{j=? to ?} d_j x B^j)

You mean the two ends of the string (and there may be extra limit points
within the string) each constitute a countable neighborhood of digits
within the string? That's correct. The uncountable portions oft he
string are filled in with a repeating pattern that equates to a rational
portion of an infinite quantity. It does end up needing to be
represented as a multi-part formula, as you suggest. That's the whole
idea, to represent such notions as oo^2-3*oo-log2(oo)+sqrt(oo), as a
digital string. :)

> I put '?' for the limits of the right sum, because I can't figure out
> what j is supposed to be once you've used up all the powers of B
> with B^i in the left sum.

It is a declared formulaic infinity based on Big'un.

> I mean it looks like you're saying that there are digits beyond
> an infinite number of digits, but that creates a problem for you,
> because you've run out of indexes for those extra digit positions.

I don't see any more problem with that than saying you have traversed
and infinite number of points from the origin, but you are at a specific
point, with an infinite number of more points ahead if you continue. Can
you index each of those points with a finite string? No, of course not,
unless you have some infinite alphabet. It's uncountable. But, that
doesn't mean it can't also be viewed as residing along the same linear
sequence.

> Which puts you back at square one, because in order to define
> some meaning for those supra-infinite digit positions, you need
> some kind of supra-infinite indexing numbers, which is what
> you're trying to define the T-numbers to be in the first place.
> Which is just circular reasoning.

Not circular at all. I declare Big'un to be the number of reals per unit
interval, and the length of the hyperreal line in unit intervals. Then I
employ this value in formulas which can be compared using infinite-case
induction. It's very straightforward.
From: imaginatorium on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> [...]

> > can all be put in 1-1 correspondence, or (in normal words again) have
> > the same cardinality? Perhaps this particular fact raises no objections
> > from your intuition module?
> >
> > Notice that of course there are other things one can say about these
> > sets. For example, the number of polyhedrons with n edges [E(n)] is
> > always less than the number with n vertices [V(n)] (= the number with n
> > faces); I can see that E(n) < V(n-2), but "on average" these are
> > close(?). Does the ratio V(n)/E(n) approach a particular value? I don't
> > know.
> >
> > Brian Chandler
> > http://imaginatorium.org

> Thanks for your take on the matter. It seems like a general notion of
> countability for the set, though that depends on there being only a
> finite n umber of vertices, edges or faces for each polyhedron in your

Oh, you mean you agree that it would be possible to arrange all the
different polyhedra in a (one-ended) line so as to count them, reaching
any one eventually, but never getting to the nonexistent other end?
Good.

Of course my treatment of polyhedra depends on them being members of
the class of objects normally referred to in mathematics as polyhedra.
You still haven't grasped the utility of having standard terms for
things so everyone knows what they are talking about. But you might
ought to be aware that of course mathematicians have thought about
unbounded, "infinite pseudopolyhedra" - for example in David Wells'
Geometry "dictionary" (Penguin) there's a section under "honeycombs"
with some nice pictures in.

> I notice that the infinite topologically distinct polyhedra known
> as tiling systems are not included in your set. I'll ignore that point
> for now.

No, that's right. I also excluded Borges 17 Chinese categories of
animal, strawberry, vanilla, and pistacchio ice cream, the King of
Peru, and a box of rotten carrots. (This is only a representative
sample, to which the exclusions are not restricted. This is also not
medical advice. (Hope this helps.))

> In order for me to formulate this question in terms of Bigulosity
> Theory, I'm going to have to formulate the relationships between
> vertices, edges and faces in general, and their relation to the number
> of polyhedra possible. I've played with these numbers in relation to
> vertex angle for regular polyhedrons with some interesting results, but
> not in the general case for irregular polyhedra. So, let me mull this
> over, and see if I can concoct some numbers for you, formulaic
> expressions of the size of th
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers