From: imaginatorium on
Tony Orlow wrote:
> imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:

<snip>

> > Virgil was muddling everything up, as usual, but the difference between
> > a partial and total ordering is basically whether there are pairs of
> > elements for which the order is undetermined. The subset relation is a
> > very obvious example, where (for example) the set of reals in [0, 1]
> > and the set of prime integers cannot be compared, because neither is a
> > subset of the other.
> Okay, understood.

> > "Bigulosity" has never been sufficiently clearly defined to tell, but
> > since you get very steamed up about subsets, and since the only known
> > coherent claim is that A proper subset of B -> b(A) < b(B), it's
> > extremely unlikely Bigulosity could be extended to become a total
> > ordering.
>
> Bigulosity is not based on the subset relation, but on formulaic
> mappings and infinite-case induction.

Let me just point you to one of your problems here: do you understand
the normal set-theoretic definition of a "function" (or mapping)? (Go
look it up; I'm not going to type it here)

The problem is that at school you learnt about "functions" - first
things like x+1, x^2+4x-7, which you later learnt are called
polynomials, then things like sin(x), and possibly sinh(x), Bessel
functions, and various other exotic varieties. I imagine these all fall
into the category of what you call "formulaic". But the general notion
of a mapping is unimaginably bigger than these very specific examples,
which were chosen (of course) because they are manageable. Any scheme
based on "formulaic" anything is not going to apply to almost all cases
(in some reasonable sense).

A more mundane problem is that in practice your approach to a problem
is to intuit the desirable answer, wave your hands, produce a
"formula", then start arguing. But anyway...

> > Please compare the Bigulosities of the set of polygons with vertices on
> > integral x-y coordinates and the set of topologically distinct
> > polyhedra. Show your working. (Of course you don't need to come up with
> > an "answer" like "ratio of 5 pi^2", but you need to show how such a
> > task would be approached. One of the things you still don't seem to
> > have realised is that before anything can be "maths" it has to be
> > teachable to other people. I don't think anyone but you has the
> > faintest idea what Bigulosity is really supposed to be, except in a
> > ragbag of specific cases.)
>
> It consists of a few ideas, and they cover a lot.

Could you be slightly more specific: what is "a lot"? I grant you,
"formulaic" sequences of integers, and words in the language on n
symbols. Anything else?

> I don't know where to
> start with your topologically distinct polyhedra.

Hmm, not polyhedra, I see.

> Why don't you give me a rundown of how YOU compare those two sets?

OK; how would I think about "counting" the topologically distinct
polyhedra? First I'd observe that I could attack from the faces, the
edges, or the vertices (F, E, V; and I could remember that there's an
obvious vertex-face duality), so I might choose the faces. I'd assemble
a list of the first few, out of curiosity (which has to be the driving
force here: what are the conditions for a polyhedron to be its own V-F
dual, for example?)

The minimum number of faces is obviously 4; not less than 3 faces must
meet each vertex, and there must be more than one vertex. I make a
little list of the number of possibilities:

4: 1 (tetrahedron)
5: 2 (square pyramid, triangular prism)
6: (pentagonal prism, cube, etc. at this point, cheat
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/table?a=944&fmt=4 )
7: and so on

Now I would notice that by "topologically distinct polyhedron" I am
referring to a bounded geometrical object; not only bounded, but also
discrete, in the sense that if I have one in my hand I know I can count
the vertices. A bit of minor handwaving, and I would see that for any
number of vertices there will be a limited number of possibilities for
arranging that number of vertices into a polyhedron. So I know that I
can pick an ordering scheme, and put all of the polyhedra in it. So I
can "count" them, in the sense that I know that with my counting scheme
there will not be a polyhedron that escapes it. I also notice that this
counting sequence will never end, because there is no maximum to the
number of vertices. After all, if there were, then given a polyhedron
with that number of vertices I could simply pick any face, construct a
pyramid on that face, and get a polyhedron with more than the supposed
maximum number of vertices, which proves (by contradiction) that my
sequence of polyhedra never ends. (This is all incredibly obvious, but
I'm afraid I never know which incredibly obvious bits you still haven't
grokked.)

So with the constraints of the present audience, I would express this
by saying that I can see I can "count" the polyhedra, a process which
will account for every one of them, given enough time, but I can also
see that the process of counting will never end.

It's much messier, but I can do a similar thing for the polygons with
vertices having integral x-y coordinates.

How could I compare the two sets? I don't know - in both cases it's
true that I can find a way of counting them, and that the counting will
never end. Since it never ends, it's hard to see how I might think that
the counting of the polygons was going to be over before the counting
of the polyhedra, or vice versa. It's not even possible to say of a
process that never ends that after so many counts the processs is "an
appreciable way to completion", because there _is_ no completion.

So my answer is rather limited: both sets are (ok, dammit, in normal
words) countably infinite; there's no way obvious to me that I could
regard either as "less" endlessly endless than the other.

What's your answer? You appear to be the one claiming to have "numbers"
for counting things when the counting never ends: do you have any here?
Or are you happy to accept that these two sets, and the set of pofnats
can all be put in 1-1 correspondence, or (in normal words again) have
the same cardinality? Perhaps this particular fact raises no objections
from your intuition module?

Notice that of course there are other things one can say about these
sets. For example, the number of polyhedrons with n edges [E(n)] is
always l
From: Lester Zick on
On 3 Nov 2006 14:49:55 -0800, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> >You just quoted yourself, then commented 'Evasion noted'. Nicely done.
>>
>> Oh well considering the context you dropped somehow I'm not surprized.
>
>I looked over the context three times. If I excluded anything that has
>a material bearing on what I did include and my remark on it, then you
>can mention those exclusions specifically. Posts are not discredited by
>the mere fact that they don't include all previous quoted matter.
>Nobody has an obligation to include all previous quoted matter in every
>one of his or her posts.

That only makes you a censor not a mathematician.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:13:55 -0500, David Marcus
<DavidMarcus(a)alumdotmit.edu> wrote:

>Mike Kelly wrote:
>> Tony Orlow wrote:

[. . .]

>> What is the set of balls in the vase at noon in the simplified
>> experiment?
>> What does "noon does not exist" mean?
>
>Maybe Tony has given up on this discussion.

And maybe this discussion just has a truth value of 0.

~v~~
From: David Marcus on
imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
> > imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:

> > > "Bigulosity" has never been sufficiently clearly defined to tell, but
> > > since you get very steamed up about subsets, and since the only known
> > > coherent claim is that A proper subset of B -> b(A) < b(B), it's
> > > extremely unlikely Bigulosity could be extended to become a total
> > > ordering.
> >
> > Bigulosity is not based on the subset relation, but on formulaic
> > mappings and infinite-case induction.
>
> Let me just point you to one of your problems here: do you understand
> the normal set-theoretic definition of a "function" (or mapping)? (Go
> look it up; I'm not going to type it here)
>
> The problem is that at school you learnt about "functions" - first
> things like x+1, x^2+4x-7, which you later learnt are called
> polynomials, then things like sin(x), and possibly sinh(x), Bessel
> functions, and various other exotic varieties. I imagine these all fall
> into the category of what you call "formulaic". But the general notion
> of a mapping is unimaginably bigger than these very specific examples,
> which were chosen (of course) because they are manageable. Any scheme
> based on "formulaic" anything is not going to apply to almost all cases
> (in some reasonable sense).

Another aspect of this problem is that over the last couple of
centuries, mathematicians realized that the best way to view functions
is as mappings, not as formulas. This led to the modern definition of
function. And, the fact that the function is sin, not sin(x) (the latter
being a number). It seems Tony thinks the old way of viewing formulas as
fundamental is better. I suppose it is possible that Tony has discovered
something that a couple of centuries of mathematicians have missed, but
until I can see a fleshed-out theory, I remain skeptical.

> A more mundane problem is that in practice your approach to a problem
> is to intuit the desirable answer, wave your hands, produce a
> "formula", then start arguing. But anyway...

This would seem to imply that it will be a while until we see a fleshed-
out theory from Tony.

--
David Marcus
From: Tony Orlow on
David Marcus wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> David Marcus wrote:

>>> I have no clue what you mean. There are no "limits of sets" in what I
>>> wrote.

>>> You seem to be agreeing with what I wrote, i.e., that you say that the
>>> number of balls in the vase at noon is lim_{t -> 0-} V(t). Care to
>>> confirm this?
>> No that's a bad formulation. I gave you the correct formulation, which
>> states the number of balls in the vase as a function of t.
>
> Let's try some numbers.
>
> t = -1, 9*floor(-1/t) = 9, V(t) = 9.
> t = -1/2, 9*floor(-1/t) = 18, V(t) = 18.
>
> Looks to me like V(t) = 9*floor(-1/t) for t < 0. So,
>
> lim_{t->0-) 9*floor(-1/t) = lim_{t->0-} V(t).
>
> So, it does seem that what I said you are saying is what you are saying.

Oh. If you express V(t) that way, that looks correct. I thought it was
different before.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers