From: Mike Kelly on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> Mike Kelly wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> I have presented an approach that works for the majority of infinite
> >> bijections, and explained some of the exceptions. IFR works for all
> >> numeric sets mapped from a common set. N=S^L works for all languages,
> >> including those that express the first set. Both work on a parameteric
> >> basis, using infinite case induction to finely order the values of
> >> formulas for a specific infinite n. Rare exceptions include the set 1/n
> >> for neN, whose inverse is itself, which IFR ends up saying has size 1,
> >> but that's because the natural indexes and fractional mapped reals only
> >> share one point in their range, 1. So, I think Bigulosity is worth
> >> considering.
> >
> > Why? What is it good for? What theories is it used in?
> >

> Bigulosity Theory.

So, all Bigulosity theory does is tell you "The Bigulosity of set so
and so is such and such"? How is that in any way useful?

--
mike.

From: David Marcus on
Mike Kelly wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
> > Mike Kelly wrote:

> > > Yes or no? What is the set of balls in the vase at noon? Which balls
> > > are in the vase and which are not?

> > > Nothing "happens" at noon? I take this to mean that there is no
> > > insertion or removal of balls at noon, yes? Well, I agree with that.
> > > But what relevence does this have to the statement "noon does not
> > > exist"? What does that even *mean*?
> > >
> > > When you've been saying "noon doesn't exist", you actually mean to say
> > > "no insertion or removal of balls occurs at noon"?
> > >
> > > How about this experiment, does noon "exist" in this experiment :
> > >
> > > Insert a ball labelled "1" into the vase at one minute to noon.
> > >
> > > ?

> > > For now, I am going to try to restrict myself to discussing this new
> > > experiment, because I want to understand what "noon doesn't exist" is
> > > supposed to mean. And, again, your answer is ambiguous. I asked which
> > > balls are in the vase at noon, not the cardinality of the set of balls
> > > in the vase at noon. I then asked whether "noon exists", not whether
> > > anything "happens" at noon. Please try answering the questions people
> > > actually ask; it aids in communication.
>
> Why have you ignored everything I said above here? Are you simply
> unwilling to critically examine the assumptions and inferences you
> make? Maybe you just missed that part of my post, I'll ask again.
>
> What is the set of balls in the vase at noon in the simplified
> experiment?
> What does "noon does not exist" mean?

Maybe Tony has given up on this discussion.

--
David Marcus
From: Lester Zick on

Well, since no one chooses to reply or even acknoweldge the following
I think I'll add a few remarks myself.

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 12:50:10 -0700, Lester Zick
<dontbother(a)nowhere.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
>In other words it is quite possible to generate straight lines in such
>terms but there can never be an exact equivalence between those lines
>and any kind of transcendental infinity. Thus we can treat arithmetic
>infinites which exist in terms of infinitesimal subdivision of
>straight lines such as irrationals like the square root of two but not
>those which exist in terms of transcendental infinities such as pi.
>
>On the other hand, however, we can proceed in the opposite direction
>quite easily by generating straight lines as tangents through Newton's
>calculus and his method of tangents. And in so doing we can develop
>all possible reals through the mere assumption of curves instead of
>straight line segments and infinitesimal subdivision instead of Peano
>axioms and the suc( ) axiom.
>
>The problem is and always has been that mathematics in general is not
>arithmetic in particular. And we can always generate straight lines in
>terms of curves through tangency but not vice versa because in terms
>of form there is only one straight line but infinite kinds of curves
>to which there are straight line tangents and we can't proceed from
>any straight line tangent backwards to any specific curve.
>
>In effect then arithmetic theoreticians have straight lines but they
>cannot deduce curves from those straight lines and are forced to
>imagine such collateral forms of infinity either superimposed on
>straight lines themselves, such as imaginary real number lines, or in
>some other group altogether. But in neither case can they deduce the
>existence and properties of such transcendental infinities from the
>existence and properties of straight lines produced by arithmetic
>axioms except through approximation with straight line segments.
>

> Mechanical Implications
> ~v~~
>
>Although our primary interest here is mathematical there is a good
>deal more significance than mere conventional mathematics would
>suggest or imply. We and all forms of being operate and think in terms
>of curves or at least in non straight line forms through tautological
>negation which is demonstrably true. However at the conceptual level
>we communicate with one another through straight linear forms. This is
>only true and possible because there is only the one form of straight
>line but an unlimited number of curves.
>
>Thus each of us operating at the level of abstract thought has to
>reduce curvilinear tautological results to straight line tangents in
>order to compare to and communicate thoughts of one ontological
>individual with those of another. And this process is exact through
>tangency with those curvilinear tautological results. However then we
>are left to ponder the origin of those exact results because we cannot
>reverse the process in exhaustive mechanical terms to determine with
>which curvilinear tautological form the tangency originated.

In mathematics it is often assumed that one can do whatever one
chooses through the definition of axiomatic assumptions. Possibly the
reasonableness of this idea can be established historically by
earliest forms of geometric analysis where the existence of points,
straight lines, and curves were simply taken for granted because
commensuration of such elements seemed a more urgent problem.

And yet one of the primary functions of mathematics is the integration
of all conceptual realms and not merely a wishing away of differences
through facile assumptions. Apparently we have no choice but to infer
the existence of curves in various forms. But we have no corresponding
need to infer the existence of straight lines as well because these we
can derive through Newton's method of drawing tangents to curves.

In other word one cannot integrate what one has not disintegrated. In
mathematical parlance this means one cannot just willy-nilly integrate
what has not first been differentiated because we have no derivative
to indicate direction, no limits to indicate boundaries, and no
functions to indicate variations. We can assume all these things but
when we do there is no limit to our imagination and we risk giving the
impression that precedence is the other way around, that somehow we
can proceed from straight lines to curves when causation is actually
in the opposite direction.

Of course for purposes of commensuration the residuum is the straight
line and its subdivisions. But the ancestry and lineage in tangency of
straight lines must never be forgotten and we must always recognize
transcendental curves as mathematically primitive to straight lines.

~v~~
From: MoeBlee on
Lester Zick wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2006 15:26:22 -0800, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Evasion noted.
> >
> >You just quoted yourself, then commented 'Evasion noted'. Nicely done.
>
> Oh well considering the context you dropped somehow I'm not surprized.

I looked over the context three times. If I excluded anything that has
a material bearing on what I did include and my remark on it, then you
can mention those exclusions specifically. Posts are not discredited by
the mere fact that they don't include all previous quoted matter.
Nobody has an obligation to include all previous quoted matter in every
one of his or her posts.

MoeBlee

From: Mike Kelly on
Tony Orlow wrote:
> Mike Kelly wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:

> >> Where are the iterations mentioned there? You're missing the crucial
> >> part of the experiment. By your logic, you could put them in in any
> >> order and remove them in any order, and when you say both processes are
> >> done, nothing's left, but that's BS. It ignores the sequence specified.
> >> This is just a distraction.
> >
> > Yes, if you insert and remove exactly the same balls then you get the
> > same result when you're done, no matter what order you did it all in.
> > Why is that BS? It seems blindingly obvious.
>
> It's BS applied to the problem at hand, because sets entirely ignore the
> correspondence between insertions and removals over t or n, and try to
> use omega or aleph_0 as some actual number, when the Twilight Zone
> between the finite and the infinite, the largest finite or smallest
> infinite, is exactly like the Twilight Zone between the smallest
> positive real and 0. There is no smallest possible infinite number, or
> it would have a finite number finitely before it. You are burying the
> correspondence between t, n, and f(n) in the time vortex. It's a hat
> trick. Next....

Mmm... babble.

> > But I forgot, you think that if you shift all the insertions 1 minute
> > further back in time, you DO get an empty vase at noon, right? I really
> > don't understand how your mind works.
> >

> You don't understand the contingency between a *removal of 1 and a
> subsequent *addition of 10 before any further *removals of 1? Where is
> that covered in your set-theoretic schema? I see no t in there, and only
> vague reference to n.

No, I don't understand. Why does it matter what order the balls are
inserted and removed, if each and every one is inserted and later
removed precisely once before noon?

--
mike.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934
Prev: integral problem
Next: Prime numbers