From: John Tserkezis on
Gordon Levi wrote:

>> In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
>> When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of payment.

> How do you transfer $100,000 to another individual without either
> visiting your bank or sending a cheque? Of the two I find sending a
> cheque much easier. I'm limited to transferring $5000.00 a day by my
> (Bendigo) bank and I can raise that limit by using a token but I would
> still be limited to $20,000 a day.

That's what I asked when I initially tried doing it via netbank. The
internal limits to stop me from being scammed also outright stopped *me*
from doing legit transfers.

That's why my first try was doing it electronically while I was
physically at the bank, and they could verify me more easily.

The guy at the front desk said no problem, but then was trying to tell
me my destination account number didn't exist. I read it out twice
more, before I reminded him this account was at another bank.

Oh, that's why, says he, fiddles the keyboard some more, and says since
it's an external account, there would be a fee involved ($60 or so). I
asked how much a cheque would cost. Five bucks.

Looking at him blankly, I asked why would I be inclined NOT to line up
at the tellers for a cheque then. We both shrugged our shoulders and I
never did a manual (bank) electronic transfer since.

I really should have seen this sign. It's quite obvious now that I lay
it out like that.
From: Jonathan Wilson on
> Mine is with a real bank, ING.
I choose to bank with the institution I am with because the money stays in
WA and doesn't get sent to foriegn shareholders. (in fact, its the only
remaining WA based financial institution)
Plus, being able to go into a real branch is great if I need to deposit a
cheque (for some reason real estate agents like paying me money in cheques)

My basic point though was that people who complain about the bank fees of
the big banks but dont switch to one of the many cheaper alternatives out
there are idiots.
From: Rod Speed on
Gordon Levi wrote:
> Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo(a)tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Graham Cooper wrote:
>>> Westpac take 3 working days to clear a cheque. I asked if they
>>> could clear it faster and paid $16 for a special request. They say
>>> it *usually* clears by 5pm the next working day.
>> In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
>> When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of
>> payment.

> How do you transfer $100,000 to another individual
> without either visiting your bank or sending a cheque?

The better banks allow you to do that much electronically just as effortlessly as moving $5

> Of the two I find sending a cheque much easier.

I find doing it electronically much easier.

> I'm limited to transferring $5000.00 a day by my (Bendigo) bank

Time for a better bank.

> and I can raise that limit by using a token but I would still be limited to $20,000 a day.

Time for a better bank.

And I've done it heaps of times too, mostly moving money around to use the
best introductory rates on cash management accounts or term deposits.

From: Rod Speed on
John Tserkezis wrote
> Gordon Levi wrote

>>> In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
>>> When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of payment.

>> How do you transfer $100,000 to another individual without either
>> visiting your bank or sending a cheque? Of the two I find sending a
>> cheque much easier. I'm limited to transferring $5000.00 a day by my
>> (Bendigo) bank and I can raise that limit by using a token but I
>> would still be limited to $20,000 a day.

> That's what I asked when I initially tried doing it via netbank.
> The internal limits to stop me from being scammed also
> outright stopped *me* from doing legit transfers.

A bank that has its act in gear allows you to do that sort of thing fine.

I even bought the new car that way, organised a short term eftpos
higher limit, just for an hour or so and did it entirely electronically.

> That's why my first try was doing it electronically while I was
> physically at the bank, and they could verify me more easily.

> The guy at the front desk said no problem, but then was trying to
> tell me my destination account number didn't exist. I read it out
> twice more, before I reminded him this account was at another bank.

> Oh, that's why, says he, fiddles the keyboard some more, and says since
> it's an external account, there would be a fee involved ($60 or so).

Time for a better bank. I've done it heaps of times for no charge at all.

> I asked how much a cheque would cost. Five bucks.

Time for a better bank.

> Looking at him blankly, I asked why would I be inclined NOT to
> line up at the tellers for a cheque then. We both shrugged our
> shoulders and I never did a manual (bank) electronic transfer since.

You should have got a clue and moved to a better bank.

From: Graham Cooper on
On May 21, 3:42 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:

check cleared! thanks to Mr Speed summoning the deed of course!

Atleast I made it before the weekend.

Herc