From: Jonathan Wilson on
Graham Cooper wrote:
> Westpac take 3 working days to clear a cheque. I asked if they could
> clear it faster and paid $16 for a special request. They say it
> *usually* clears by 5pm the next working day.
In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of payment.
From: John Tserkezis on
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
> When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of payment.

Because if you need to transfer a bucketload of money from A to B, and
don't particularly care how long it takes (few days verses few hours) a
cheque is cheaper.

We're arguing over less than $60 or so for some tens of thousands of
dollars transfer (when I did it last anyway) but we're talking about a
premium for something that's handled entirely electronically, verses a
paper based system, requiring significant verification and handling on
the bank side, that costs the customer five measly bucks.

Yes, I understand during the clearing time, they have the money on hand
earning interest, at the end of the day (or third day), the bloody banks
are going to get their money one way or another.

The second way, for me at least, is cheaper. So there.

Oddly enough, the cheque creation was causing a lot less stress, and
was faster do take care of to boot. Just make a cheque out to Joe
Bloggs for $x, take it out of my account right here, and thank you come
again.

I had trouble understanding (during the direct transfer) why they had
"trouble" transferring to an account that was NOT with my bank. An
external account. It was handled vastly different (like I care). And
more so, why it cost me money to transfer that sum to an external
account, verses an internal (local) account, when I could do the same
for thirty bucks and no-one blinks?
It's just data for F&^ks sake, does data cost that much?
From: Jonathan Wilson on
> I had trouble understanding (during the direct transfer) why they had
> "trouble" transferring to an account that was NOT with my bank. An
> external account. It was handled vastly different (like I care). And
> more so, why it cost me money to transfer that sum to an external
> account, verses an internal (local) account, when I could do the same
> for thirty bucks and no-one blinks?
> It's just data for F&^ks sake, does data cost that much?
If you are being charged these fees you need to find a better bank.
I can transfer money on online banking to any bank account in Australia
regardless of bank (given the BSB and account number) and it wont cost me a
cent ever no matter how many transfers I make.

The only fees I pay is a 75c a month fee for online banking and a $1.50 fee
for having a Visa Debit card plus I pay a fee if I use an ATM that doesn't
say "RediATM" or "NAB" on it.

I think I might also pay a fee if I buy something with my Visa card that
isn't in Australian Dollars but that's a fee charged by Visa themselves and
passed on by my bank.

As for cheques, I havent written a cheque in my life.

Everyone complains about bank fees and how the big banks rip you off yet
most people cant be bothered to get off their asses and find a decent bank
that doesn't rip you off.

Oh wait, my account isn't with a bank, its with a Credit Union.
From: globular on
On 21/05/2010 1:44 AM, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>> I had trouble understanding (during the direct transfer) why they had
>> "trouble" transferring to an account that was NOT with my bank. An
>> external account. It was handled vastly different (like I care). And
>> more so, why it cost me money to transfer that sum to an external
>> account, verses an internal (local) account, when I could do the same
>> for thirty bucks and no-one blinks?
>> It's just data for F&^ks sake, does data cost that much?
> If you are being charged these fees you need to find a better bank.
> I can transfer money on online banking to any bank account in Australia
> regardless of bank (given the BSB and account number) and it wont cost
> me a cent ever no matter how many transfers I make.
>
> The only fees I pay is a 75c a month fee for online banking and a $1.50
> fee for having a Visa Debit card plus I pay a fee if I use an ATM that
> doesn't say "RediATM" or "NAB" on it.
>
> I think I might also pay a fee if I buy something with my Visa card that
> isn't in Australian Dollars but that's a fee charged by Visa themselves
> and passed on by my bank.
>
> As for cheques, I havent written a cheque in my life.
>
> Everyone complains about bank fees and how the big banks rip you off yet
> most people cant be bothered to get off their asses and find a decent
> bank that doesn't rip you off.
>
> Oh wait, my account isn't with a bank, its with a Credit Union.

I discovered, starting last year, that on my Westpac Mastercard, there
is now a charge added on when purchasing overseas.
I've heard nothing about this. It varies with the purchase amount.

From: Rod Speed on
John Tserkezis wrote
> Jonathan Wilson wrote

>> In this day and age why are people still using cheques anyway?
>> When you can do direct bank transfers or many other methods of payment.

> Because if you need to transfer a bucketload of money from A to B, and
> don't particularly care how long it takes (few days verses few hours)
> a cheque is cheaper.

Like hell it is.

> We're arguing over less than $60 or so for some tens of
> thousands of dollars transfer (when I did it last anyway)

Didnt cost me a cent the last time I did one electronically.

> but we're talking about a premium for something that's handled entirely electronically,

Like hell we are.

> verses a paper based system, requiring significant verification and
> handling on the bank side, that costs the customer five measly bucks.

> Yes, I understand during the clearing time, they have the money
> on hand earning interest, at the end of the day (or third day), the
> bloody banks are going to get their money one way or another.

> The second way, for me at least, is cheaper. So there.

Then you need to get a better bank.

> Oddly enough, the cheque creation was causing a
> lot less stress, and was faster do take care of to boot.

Wrong again.

> Just make a cheque out to Joe Bloggs for $x, take it
> out of my account right here, and thank you come again.

> I had trouble understanding (during the direct transfer) why they
> had "trouble" transferring to an account that was NOT with my
> bank. An external account. It was handled vastly different (like
> I care). And more so, why it cost me money to transfer that
> sum to an external account, verses an internal (local) account,

Doesnt cost me a cent.

> when I could do the same for thirty bucks and no-one blinks?
> It's just data for F&^ks sake, does data cost that much?

Corse it doesnt, you are being fucked over.