From: Douglas J. Steele on
No, I mean creating a macro named AutoKeys, adding a MacroName entry for the
F1 key and assigning an action to that macro.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/access/HA102391111033.aspx?pid=CH100621381033
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/access/HP051866491033.aspx?pid=CH063664951033

The advantage is that you only need to do this in one place, and it's
effective everywhere in your application, as opposed to having to call code
in the KeyDown event of every form (plus remembering to set KeyPreview
property for each form so that the form's KeyDown event intercepts the
control's KeyDown event)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

From: Jack Leach dymondjack at hot mail dot on
Thanks Doug, I was never aware of this. A google search showed a bunch of
stuff for AutoHotKeys, which I thought was an odd way to go about it
(although I think it could be done using that, if not ideally).

Always nice to learn about functionality I had no idea existed :-)

From: Dennis on
Doug,

Very nice! I read the two links. I don't know much about macros, but I
have quite a few Access books so I guess it is back to the learning cliff and
bloody knuckles.

But let me ask this. When I press the F1 key and the AutoKey macro fires,
how would it know from which control item in which form the F1 key was
pressed?

Or another way to phrase this question, if I press the F1 in my Customer
Name field, how would the F1 key know to bring up the Customer Name help
page.

I figure I would have to pass something to the macro so it would know.

Dennis

From: Jack Leach dymondjack at hot mail dot on
I'm just shooting in the dark here (AutoKeys macros are new to me as well),
but I would assume that if your macro calls a function (someting like
GetHelp()) that is the global help handler of your project, you could use
Screen.ActiveForm and Screen.ActiveControl to determine where the user
currently is.

I suppose this would require a table of forms/controls and corresponding
help indexes though... could be a pain to maintain.

From: Douglas J. Steele on
ActiveControl would seem to be appropriate. ActiveForm might be misleading:
if the control is on a subform, ActiveForm will actually be the parent form.

Yes, if you wanted context-sensitive help, then you would need to have some
way of mapping the specific control to specific help topics.

--

> I'm just shooting in the dark here (AutoKeys macros are new to me as
> well),
> but I would assume that if your macro calls a function (someting like
> GetHelp()) that is the global help handler of your project, you could use
> Screen.ActiveForm and Screen.ActiveControl to determine where the user
> currently is.
>
> I suppose this would require a table of forms/controls and corresponding
> help indexes though... could be a pain to maintain.
>
> --
> Jack Leach
> www.tristatemachine.com
>
> "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
> -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
>

> "Dennis" wrote:
>
>> Doug,
>>
>> Very nice! I read the two links. I don't know much about macros, but I
>> have quite a few Access books so I guess it is back to the learning cliff
>> and
>> bloody knuckles.
>>
>> But let me ask this. When I press the F1 key and the AutoKey macro
>> fires,
>> how would it know from which control item in which form the F1 key was
>> pressed?
>>
>> Or another way to phrase this question, if I press the F1 in my Customer
>> Name field, how would the F1 key know to bring up the Customer Name help
>> page.
>>
>> I figure I would have to pass something to the macro so it would know.
>>
>> Dennis

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: "Exit Access" Code