From: Dennis on
Hi,

I'm running Access via Office XP Pro and Office 2007 on XP, Vista, and 7.

I'm getting pretty close to completing the first Access application I've
been working on and figured I need to address the Help documentationi issue.

I don't know much about how to create a Help file nor the terminology. So
my question is pretty broad and may be phrased incorectly.

Where would I start?
Any suggestions for a Help compiler?

Or is there another way to accomplish creating on-line user help for my
application?

Dennis

From: Daniel Pineault on
Take a look at

http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000010#documentation

it should give you a few possible routes to choose from depending on your
needs and talents.
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

From: Dennis on
Daniel,

What a GREAT link. Thank you very much!

I thought that added help text would be relatively simple. But I'm
beginning to get the idea this will not be that simple.

Oh well.

Any other suggestions for doing help? I just want to pop up a paragraph or
two for each question. I want to keep it simple.

Thanks,

Dennis
From: Jack Leach dymondjack at hot mail dot on
> I thought that added help text would be relatively simple. But I'm
> beginning to get the idea this will not be that simple.

Agreed, unfortunately a full-blown help file is a major nightmare (I never
did get around to figuring it out...)

> Any other suggestions for doing help? I just want to pop up a paragraph or
> two for each question.

In one app I was able to do something similar, for the same reasons.

If you make a single form to be used as a help template, with a large
textbox that is disabled and formatted so noone notices it's a textbox, you
can fairly easily handle what you are looking for.

I kept a table with two columns, an ID and memo for the description. When
you open the help form, pass the ID as an open arg, and use that ID to
populate the textbox with the applicable content.

Not the best, but it works for basic cases.

hth

--
Jack Leach
www.tristatemachine.com

"I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t work."
-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

From: Dennis on
Jack,

I like your approach. It should get the job done.

Thanks,

Dennis

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4