From: Mike Lane on
Mike Lane wrote on Jul 12, 2010:

> I'm trying to get started with the trial version of Aperture.
>
> Here's a screenshot of a bit of the browser displayed by Aperture showing
> some of my holiday photos:
> http://files.me.com/mike_lane/2wj5fe
>
> Can someone tell me what is the meaning of the small icon in the bottom right

> corner of each thumbnail?
>

> Thanks...

I think I've discovered what the icon means. It apparently indicates that the
image in question has one or more keywords attached. If one imports from
iPhoto, any keywords will also be imported and then the image in aperture
will show this tag icon

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

From: Jim on
In article <120720101346521594%star(a)sky.net>, Davoud <star(a)sky.net>
wrote:

> That is called t "tag icon." It represents a paper tag with a string
> attached. The tag icon means that the photo to which it is attached has
> associated metadata. It isn't a clickable icon. Beyond that, I know
> little about it -- nearly of my photos have metadata, but none displays
> the tag icon. But: in my wife's copy of Aperture (we are heavy users on
> a passel of Macs, so we have three licenses!) the tag icon is
> displayed. Can't figure that one out.
>
> Davoud

If you add metadata, you get this tag. Most of us add our name, some
keywords, and maybe a copyright notice when importing images. These
will all get a tag in the viewer.

--
Jim
From: Davoud on
Mike Lane

> > > Almost looks like a hand grenade. Dare I ask what happens when you
> > > click it? : )
> >
> > It doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Steve Hix:
> It just signifies that the image has had one or more adjustments applied to it.

In case you missed my earlier post, that is not what it signifies. It
signifies that a photo has metadata attached. I didn't fully understand
it previously, but the OP, Mr. Lane, has explained it himself: no just
any metadata; it appears if the image has keywords attached.

The icon for a photo with adjustments applied is an adjustment slider
-- a white rectangle with a horizontal line in the center and a "knob"
on the line representing the point at which one places the cursor when
manipulating an adjustment slider.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: Steve Hix on
In article <0001HW.C86136D200294FD7B01029BF(a)news.virginmedia.com>,
Mike Lane <mike.lane.usenet(a)ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Hix wrote on Jul 12, 2010:
>
> > In article <0001HW.C860EA3100175A31B01029BF(a)news.virginmedia.com>,
> > Mike Lane <mike.lane.usenet(a)ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:

> >> It doesn't seem to do anything at all.
> >
> > It just signifies that the image has had one or more adjustments applied to
> > it.

I was wrong here: the icon I was looking at locally is a representation of an
adjustment control pane, which does show up whenever you make any adjustment.

My glasses are out getting a new prescription ground and installed. That's my
current story, and I'm sticking to it. For now.

> AFAICS all the images have this icon attached whether or not they have been
> modified

The "hand grenade with a burning fuse" looking thingy, on the other hand, marks
images that have had keywords applied, according to the Aperture 2 User Manual,
pg. 290. It's the same for Aperture 3.
From: Steve Hix on
In article <0001HW.C86136DD00295270B01029BF(a)news.virginmedia.com>,
Mike Lane <mike.lane.usenet(a)ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Davoud wrote on Jul 12, 2010:

> > That is called t "tag icon." It represents a paper tag with a string
> > attached. The tag icon means that the photo to which it is attached has
> > associated metadata. It isn't a clickable icon. Beyond that, I know
> > little about it -- nearly of my photos have metadata, but none displays
> > the tag icon. But: in my wife's copy of Aperture (we are heavy users on
> > a passel of Macs, so we have three licenses!) the tag icon is
> > displayed. Can't figure that one out.
> >
> > Davoud
> >

> I would have thought that all digital images have some kind of metadata
> attached.
>
> I've just discovered that all the images I have imported from iPhoto have
> this icon displayed, but if I import a file from the hard disk it doesn't. I
> wonder if that has any significance?

It marks images that have keywords applied.