From: Bruce on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
<bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 13, 4:34�pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.ht...
>>
>> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
>> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
>> up for anything preceded with an "i."
>
>The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
>last weekend, and the place was a zoo. I've never seen a store so
>crowded.

With sheep, presumably?

I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
a Dell Streak. So far, so good.

And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. ;-)

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:01:13 -0400, Shawn Hirn <srhi(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>I don't have an iPhone 4, but there is an Apple Store five minutes from
>where I live. I stopped by there and I tried to get it to drop all the
>signal bars, but the signal strength remained steady. I tried it on
>several different display models. They all worked fine.
>
>Last Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who bought an iPhone 4 and she
>loves it. I tried getting the signal strength to drop on it too by
>holding it on the lower corners, but the signal strength remained strong.

You are obviously unaware of two faults; one is that any contact
between your fingers and the aerial dramatically reduces signal
strength, and the other is that the signal strength meter is faulty
and shows a strong signal when in fact it is weak. In particular, it
shows no sign of the reduction in signal strength when you touch the
aerial.

Both faults have officially been admitted by Apple, but so far there
are no proposals from the company as to how either will be fixed.

>So I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

No, you don't appear to be able to see it at all. ;-)

From: otter on
On Jul 14, 3:53 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
>
> <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 13, 4:34 pm, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

> >> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
> >> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
> >> up for anything preceded with an "i."
>
> >The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
> >last weekend, and the place was a zoo.  I've never seen a store so
> >crowded.
>
> With sheep, presumably?

I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
was when the original macs came out.

> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
> a Dell Streak.  So far, so good.
>
> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully.  ;-)

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Still, that is a snazzy little phone, even with the duct tape.
From: George Kerby on

On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e52a(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "otter"
<bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 3:53�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
>>
>> <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
>>> last weekend, and the place was a zoo. �I've never seen a store so
>>> crowded.
>>
>> With sheep, presumably?
>
> I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
> back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
> The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
> was when the original macs came out.
>

>> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
>> a Dell Streak. �So far, so good. �
>>
>> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. �;-)
>
> I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
> while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
> little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

;-)

From: otter on
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "otter"
>

> <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 14, 3:53 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> With sheep, presumably?
>
> > I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid.  Sheep are pretty laid-
> > back.  These were more like monkeys.  The atmosphere was frenetic.
> > The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
> > was when the original macs came out.
>
> >> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
> >> a Dell Streak.  So far, so good.
>
> >> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully.  ;-)
>
> > I don't own any apple products now.  I went down that road for a
> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.
>
> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>
> ;-)

That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile.

However, I may try it again some time. Not completely ruling it out.