From: Peter on
"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 7/14/10 10:09 AM, in article
> 4c3dd3ac$0$5549$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
>>> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com,
>>> "otter"

>>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>
>>> That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try
>>> it
>>> again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.
>>

>> I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
>> any
>> significant difference.
>> The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
>> of
>> familiarity.
>>
>> I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
>> minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine
>> beats
>> anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also
>> have
>> the speed.
>>
>> You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
>> And Yes I know about compatibility.
>>
> There IS a reason that AAPL has shot through the roof and it is known as
> 'Customer Satisfaction'. Meanwhile, MSFT and other PC makers shares have
> languished.
>
> Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease
> of
> use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put
> Page
> Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
> Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
> Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that
> way.
> And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.
>
> The initial cost may be more, but time is money and when all is
> considered,
> including the packaged software, the Mac is the choice of most
> professionals.

For the reasons stated above and since I am not a professional and don't use
Final Cut, or any other video editing program, I will stick with PC.

Obviously you are a professional and should do whatever makes you feel
better.
--
Peter

From: Rich on
On Jul 13, 11:00 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 13/07/10 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:
>
> > The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
> > 1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
> > current iPhone.
>
> I'm sure a bunch of manufacturers in China are gearing up production of
> 1/2" x 2" pieces of duct tape and it will be available after-market for
> much less than $25.

Seriously, Apple should simply provide a piece of opaque or clear
tape, with a good acrylic or silicone adhesive. Once applied, it will
stay put forever.
From: Allen on
otter wrote:
<snip>
> I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
> back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
> The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
> was when the original macs came out.

<snip>
My father was a part-time sheep rancher, so I was around a lot of sheep
in my very much younger days. One thing I can say is that they are the
ultimate herd animals: they will follow their leader, no matter what. I
especially remember a story in the newspapers in about 1957 from the
sheep-raising country in France. The lead sheep walked over the edge of
a tall cliff and the entire herd followed, resulting in 2,200 dead
sheep. The truckers and shearers who move a lot of sheep use Judas goats
to lead them wherever they need them to go. The main difference between
people and sheep is that humans are divided into two groups: PC users
and Apple users.
Allen
From: Peter on
"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> <snip>

> The main difference between people and sheep is that humans are divided
> into two groups: PC users and Apple users.
> Allen

What about Linux & Solaris?
And then there are the Linux distributions. You think Canon v Nikon gets
abusive?

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:40:51 -0500, George Kerby
<ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease of
>use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put Page
>Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
>Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
>Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that way.
>And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.

That's a popular theory, but it seems to imply a choice made after
evaluating two alternatives. I don't think it works like that.

Unless you are completely self-taught and have always worked alone,
you've been taught on a particular system and/or have used a
work-provided computer. When you buy your own system you will most
likely buy that same brand.

That means that whatever is used in the schools, or in the shops that
started as the field emerged is the type that will get the most use by
the profession.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida