From: Peter on
"otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "otter"

> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.
>
> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>
> ;-)

>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
significant difference.
The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
familiarity.

I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine beats
anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also have
the speed.

You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
And Yes I know about compatibility.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
>> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "otter"
>

>> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
>> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
>> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.
>>
>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>>
>> ;-)
>
>>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
>>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.
>

>I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
>significant difference.
>The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
>familiarity.

All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.

I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
instinctively tried to use them.

I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
my home PC. Just different.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: whisky-dave on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
>> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com,
>> "otter"
>

>> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
>> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
>> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.
>>
>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>>
>> ;-)
>
>>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
>>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.
>

> I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
> any significant difference.
> The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
> of familiarity.

Or just less hassle, how many Mac owners spend a significant time
re-installing the OS every so often. Then there's viruses.
Most of the people I know use macs because they work better than PCs
or they have in the past.Macs also seem easier for most to understand.

> I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
> minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine
> beats anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs
> also have the speed.
>
> You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
> And Yes I know about compatibility.

I'm not to sure about the lower operating costs, it might seem that way on
the surface and it depends how compedent you are at solving problems.

From: George Kerby on

On 7/14/10 10:09 AM, in article
4c3dd3ac$0$5549$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> "otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
>> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "otter"
>

>>> I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
>>> while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
>>> little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.
>>
>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>>
>> ;-)
>
>> That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
>> again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.
>

> I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
> significant difference.
> The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
> familiarity.
>
> I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
> minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine beats
> anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also have
> the speed.
>
> You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
> And Yes I know about compatibility.

There IS a reason that AAPL has shot through the roof and it is known as
'Customer Satisfaction'. Meanwhile, MSFT and other PC makers shares have
languished.

Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease of
use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put Page
Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that way.
And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.

The initial cost may be more, but time is money and when all is considered,
including the packaged software, the Mac is the choice of most
professionals.

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
>>> 4b537d8a-636c-4325-ae2c-a5d69a84e...(a)i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com,
>>> "otter"

>>> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>
>>>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try
>>>it
>>>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.
>>

>>I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
>>any
>>significant difference.
>>The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
>>of
>>familiarity.
>
> All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
> graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
> they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
> with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.
>
> I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
> slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
> and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
> instinctively tried to use them.
>
> I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
> my home PC. Just different.

Can we fairly say that this shows that the saying: "familiarity breeds
contempt," doesn't always apply. :-)

--
Peter