From: Ant on
On 4/25/2010 10:13 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:

>> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
>> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
>> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
>> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>
> Mcelog is for 64-bit kernels only. It doesn't exist (as far as I can
> tell) for 32-bit. Try a 64-bit LiveCD.

Really? I have an old 32-bit Debian with Kernel 2.6.32 and could use
mcelog in it.
--
"Caution is not cowardice; even the ants march armed." --Ugandan Proverb
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:20:45 -0700, Ant wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Use a LiveUSB with persistent overlays and you can install whatever you want on it.
From: Ant on
On 4/25/2010 6:20 AM PT, Ant typed:

> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.10 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

OK, I got it to work in Ubuntu liveCD. I found out that I need to enable
its universe and then I was able to find and install mcelog package.
Now, I need to figure out why it tells me "mcelog: warning: record
length longer than expected. Consider update."

Grr. Darn computers.
--
"The greatest enemies of ants are other ants, just as the greatest
enemies of men are other men." --Auguste Forel
From: Ant on
On 4/25/2010 2:46 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph typed:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:20:45 -0700, Ant wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
>> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
>> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
>> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Use a LiveUSB with persistent overlays and you can install whatever you want on it.

Thanks. :)
--
"Applied mathematics will always need pure mathematics, just as
anteaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
From: Stefan Patric on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:25:17 -0700, Ant wrote:

> On 4/25/2010 10:13 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:
>
>>> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
>>> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
>>> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
>>> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>>
>> Mcelog is for 64-bit kernels only. It doesn't exist (as far as I can
>> tell) for 32-bit. Try a 64-bit LiveCD.
>
> Really? I have an old 32-bit Debian with Kernel 2.6.32 and could use
> mcelog in it.

You got me. Which version of Debian? You said it was old.

I have Debian Etch (32-bit) installed on an old notebook (Thinkpad 240X),
and mcelog is listed by Synaptic, but for 64-bit only. No 32-bit
version. Perhaps your system is an exception.

All my searches resulted in mcelog being for 64-bit kernels only. It's
on my 64-bit system (Fedora 12). I have 32-bit CentOS and Scientific
Linux both testing in VMs, and they don't have it in their respective 32-
bit yum repositories.

Stef