From: Ant on
On Apr 30, 9:24 am, Stefan Patric <n...(a)this.address.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:17:02 -0700, Ant wrote:
> >> [snip]
>
> >> I thought about installing 32-bit Debian in a 32-bit VM (VirtualBox) on
> >> my 64-bit machine to see if I could do the test, but unfortunately in a
> >> VM running 32-bit Puppy Linux, /proc/cpuinfo shows the host 64-bit CPU
> >> and not a 32-bit one.  So, I don't know if this will skew the test or
> >> not.
>
> > No big deal. I just wanted to try it on this old Athlon 64 X2 system
> > anyways.
>
> Let me know if it works.  And, just curious...  Why did you install 32-
> bit Debian on a 64-bit box in the first place?

Sure. And because I had no 64-bit systems back in 2005 when I
installed this Debian. I also heard 64-bit makes things more complex
workarounds and missing stuff like no 64-bit Flash and stuff.
From: Stefan Patric on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:53:42 -0700, Ant wrote:

>> > No big deal. I just wanted to try it on this old Athlon 64 X2 system
>> > anyways.
>>
>> Let me know if it works.  And, just curious...  Why did you install 32-
>> bit Debian on a 64-bit box in the first place?
>
> Sure. And because I had no 64-bit systems back in 2005 when I installed
> this Debian. I also heard 64-bit makes things more complex workarounds
> and missing stuff like no 64-bit Flash and stuff.

64-bit is much, much better now. I've been running 64-bit since December
2006 (Fedora 6, 9 and currently 12), and have had only a few problems.
As far as browser plugins: Many, but not all, have 64-bit versions now.
The others can be wrapped and work pretty well concurrently with the 64-
bit ones.

Adobe does have a 64-bit Flash plugin. It is a Beta, but is now just as
stable as the non-beta "final" 32-bit one. Or, perhaps, I should say
just as unstable. ;-) Flash has never been without problems regardless
of which OS it is running under.

You can download it directly from Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html

Stef
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:53:42 -0700, Ant wrote:

>>> Let me know if it works. And, just curious... Why did you install 32-
>>> bit Debian on a 64-bit box in the first place?
>> Sure. And because I had no 64-bit systems back in 2005 when I installed
>> this Debian. I also heard 64-bit makes things more complex workarounds
>> and missing stuff like no 64-bit Flash and stuff.
>
> 64-bit is much, much better now. I've been running 64-bit since December
> 2006 (Fedora 6, 9 and currently 12), and have had only a few problems.
> As far as browser plugins: Many, but not all, have 64-bit versions now.
> The others can be wrapped and work pretty well concurrently with the 64-
> bit ones.

Yup. I went 64 bit about a year ago now, and although there were issues
- had to compile firebox - it is mostly 'just working' now.

From: Ant on
On 5/1/2010 11:00 AM PT, The Natural Philosopher typed:

>> 64-bit is much, much better now. I've been running 64-bit since
>> December 2006 (Fedora 6, 9 and currently 12), and have had only a few
>> problems. As far as browser plugins: Many, but not all, have 64-bit
>> versions now. The others can be wrapped and work pretty well
>> concurrently with the 64-
>> bit ones.
>>
> Yup. I went 64 bit about a year ago now, and although there were issues
> - had to compile firebox - it is mostly 'just working' now.

Ah cool. I might try that whenever I do a full clean install, but I
don't use that much RAM thought yet (most was 3 GB of RAM, but now 2.5
GB since 512 MB went bad). Even my old XP Pro. SP3 still uses 2 GB of
RAM which will eventually be my Linux box when I upgrade hardwares. ;)

I assume I can still run 32-bit programs on 64-bit Linux like in 64-bit
Windows.
--
"Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm
fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into wars, use chemical
From: Stefan Patric on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:07:42 -0700, Ant wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Ah cool. I might try that whenever I do a full clean install, but I
> don't use that much RAM thought yet (most was 3 GB of RAM, but now 2.5
> GB since 512 MB went bad). Even my old XP Pro. SP3 still uses 2 GB of
> RAM which will eventually be my Linux box when I upgrade hardwares. ;)

I started with 2GB RAM on my 64-bit system--Fedora Core 6 at the time.
When I up'ed it to 4, the system seemed "smoother". There weren't pauses
when windows were refreshed with new content, windows opened and closed
quicker, apps loaded and opened faster, etc.

> I assume I can still run 32-bit programs on 64-bit Linux like in 64-bit
> Windows.

Yes. As long as the appropriate 32-bit dependencies are installed.

Stef