From: Stefan Patric on
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:55:10 -0700, Ant wrote:

> On 4/27/2010 10:45 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:
>
>> In any case, I'm sure the reason mcelog installed and works on you
>> system is due to its 64-bit hardware.
>
> Ah, even if I am using 32-bit softwares.

Well, test it: install mcelog on a 32-bit hardware system running 32-bit
Debian, and see if it does. Then, see if it works.

Stef
From: Ant on
On 4/28/2010 10:22 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:55:10 -0700, Ant wrote:
>
>> On 4/27/2010 10:45 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:
>>
>>> In any case, I'm sure the reason mcelog installed and works on you
>>> system is due to its 64-bit hardware.
>>
>> Ah, even if I am using 32-bit softwares.
>
> Well, test it: install mcelog on a 32-bit hardware system running 32-bit
> Debian, and see if it does. Then, see if it works.

Sure if I can find one. I haven't had a 32-bit machine for many years. I
have two Athlon 64 and an Intel Q8200 machines. :)
--
"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But
the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of
From: Stefan Patric on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 06:56:22 -0700, Ant wrote:

> On 4/28/2010 10:22 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:55:10 -0700, Ant wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/27/2010 10:45 AM PT, Stefan Patric typed:

>>> Ah, even if I am using 32-bit softwares.
>>
>> Well, test it: install mcelog on a 32-bit hardware system running
>> 32-bit Debian, and see if it does. Then, see if it works.
>
> Sure if I can find one. I haven't had a 32-bit machine for many years. I
> have two Athlon 64 and an Intel Q8200 machines. :)

Me, too. Got rid of my last two 32-bit desktops a couple years ago. And
the Thinkpad 240X I have and still use, I don't want to risk screwing up
the very custom install of Debian Etch on it by trying to install mcelog.

I thought about installing 32-bit Debian in a 32-bit VM (VirtualBox) on my
64-bit machine to see if I could do the test, but unfortunately in a VM
running 32-bit Puppy Linux, /proc/cpuinfo shows the host 64-bit CPU and
not a 32-bit one. So, I don't know if this will skew the test or not.

Stef

From: Ant on

>>> Well, test it: install mcelog on a 32-bit hardware system running
>>> 32-bit Debian, and see if it does. Then, see if it works.
>>
>> Sure if I can find one. I haven't had a 32-bit machine for many years. I
>> have two Athlon 64 and an Intel Q8200 machines. :)
>
> Me, too. Got rid of my last two 32-bit desktops a couple years ago. And
> the Thinkpad 240X I have and still use, I don't want to risk screwing up
> the very custom install of Debian Etch on it by trying to install mcelog.
>
> I thought about installing 32-bit Debian in a 32-bit VM (VirtualBox) on my
> 64-bit machine to see if I could do the test, but unfortunately in a VM
> running 32-bit Puppy Linux, /proc/cpuinfo shows the host 64-bit CPU and
> not a 32-bit one. So, I don't know if this will skew the test or not.

No big deal. I just wanted to try it on this old Athlon 64 X2 system
anyways.
From: Stefan Patric on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:17:02 -0700, Ant wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>> I thought about installing 32-bit Debian in a 32-bit VM (VirtualBox) on
>> my 64-bit machine to see if I could do the test, but unfortunately in a
>> VM running 32-bit Puppy Linux, /proc/cpuinfo shows the host 64-bit CPU
>> and not a 32-bit one. So, I don't know if this will skew the test or
>> not.
>
> No big deal. I just wanted to try it on this old Athlon 64 X2 system
> anyways.

Let me know if it works. And, just curious... Why did you install 32-
bit Debian on a 64-bit box in the first place?

Stef