From: Ant on
Hello.

Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We ants are runnin' the show! We're the lords of the earth!" --ANTZ
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
From: unruh on
On 2010-04-25, Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.

What is mcelog and why would anyone want it?

From: Gerben on
Ant wrote:

> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled?

The live cd of http://www.scientificlinux.org may have it, you can also
see if CentOS has one.

Gerben
From: Stefan Patric on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:20:45 -0700, Ant wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Mcelog is for 64-bit kernels only. It doesn't exist (as far as I can
tell) for 32-bit. Try a 64-bit LiveCD.

Stef
From: Ant on
On 4/25/2010 8:39 AM PT, unruh typed:

>> Are there any Linux liveCDs that have mcelog enabled? I tried KNOPPIX
>> v6.2.1 and Ubuntu v9.1.0 liveCDs, but they did not have them. In
>> KNOPPIX, I tried to apt-get install, but it didn't run since it cannot
>> open /dev/mcelog. In Ubuntu, mcelog package doesn't exist.
>
> What is mcelog and why would anyone want it?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mcelog/ -- "mcelog decodes machine check
events (hardware errors) on x86-64 machines running a 64-bit Linux
kernel. It should be run regularly as a cron job on any x86-64 Linux
system (if it is not in the default packages on your x86-64
distribution, please complain to your distributor). It can also decode
machine check panic messages from console logs."

Useful to decode those plain hardware errors (e.g., machine codes) in
dmesg, /var/log/messages, etc.
--
"I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is
a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until... Oh, what the hell,