From: William Meyer on
Betov wrote:
> "Randall Hyde" <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> ýcrivait
>

>>assemblers like
>>NASM, FASM, GoAsm, TASM, MASM, Gas/ATT, Gas/Intel, and HLA all have
>>fairly decent followings (numbering in the thousands of users, each)
>

> * HLA is not an Assembler...

Your posts are generally offensive, and are certainly of no consequence
in this particular discussion. I'm not (before you decide to flame me) a
user of HLA, nor will I *ever* be a user of RosASM (whether it works or
not), as I have seen all I wish to of your flaming, and will not
subsidize it.

If you've nothing of substance to contribute to the ongoing debate on
what constitutes a "real" implementation of an X86 assembly language
tool, I'm sure I am not alone in hoping you will merely observe.

Bill
From: William Meyer on
CBFalconer wrote:

> What he could do, without raising hackles everywhere, is write a
> set of macros for m4 to process his version of assembly language
> into the generally accepted source. m4 is generally known, and
> available.

And it would be a much more responsible approach to the issue than
running off into left field and inventing an "improved" syntax.

Bill

From: William Meyer on
Paul Marciano wrote:

> I've also written Z80, 6509, 6809, ARM, PIC, 8501, 80x86 and PowerPC.
> They all have unique qualities and assembly format.

And none of them particularly difficult to learn.

> I can see the appeal of wanting a prettier assembly language for AVR
> than the standard one. I think it's great that you've taken it on, and
> if you enjoy working with it then that's marvellous.
>

> But if this is for a work project, don't use it. Use the standard
> syntax. Regardless of your sense of aesthetics, you would be a POOR
> ENGINEER if you impose a non-standard language on your company. Sooner
> or later someone may have to support your work and you would be
> creating a barrier for them.

Very well said.

> It's simply not your place to declare, in a professional environment,
> that the standard used by all AVR programmers is "unclean" and
> unilaterally implement something else.

And again. For any commercial work, it's unprofessional to overlook the
likelihood that someone other than yourself may have to perform maintenance.

> For your own personal hobby, it's great - do whatever is easier for
> you. Be happy. Share you work, as you're doing.
>
> For work, you're being paid as a professional engineer. Behave like
> one.

Perfect summation!

Bill
From: ?a/b on
On 25 Jul 2005 13:52:34 -0700, "Paul Marciano" <pm940(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
>Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>> Have to write some AVR code and therefore have read the
>> AVR Instruction Set manual and tried the assembler included
>> in AVR studio. I think the used syntax is completely
>> unusable, so I decided to write my own assembler.
>
>I've written ten of thousands of lines of 68K assembler in my time. I
>think it's a very easy to use instruction set format.

so what have you written? "ten of thousands of lines of 68K assembler"
of what? An operative system or other?

From: Betov on
William Meyer <wmeyer(a)sbcglobal.net> ýcrivait news:ZieFe.450$kk6.139
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> If you've nothing of substance to contribute to the ongoing debate on
> what constitutes a "real" implementation of an X86 assembly language
> tool, I'm sure I am not alone in hoping you will merely observe.

If someone can translate this strange sentence in english...

Thanks in advance.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last