From: Randall Hyde on

"Herbert Kleebauer" <klee(a)unibwm.de> wrote in message

> There are also many assemblers for the x86 architecture which
> are all incompatible. Non of them is the "standard". Even if
> Intel would write it's own assembler, they couldn't say, this
> is the valid assembler syntax for x86 processors.

Intel *did* write their own assembler. It was called ASM86 (and then ASM286,
and then ASM386). IIRC, they stopped around the 386 version because DOS had
become so ubiquitos as a development platform and MASM was pretty much ASM86
syntax compatible.

> All they
> can define is the machine language but not the assembly
> language.

Hmmm...
Last time I checked, Intel hired some computer scientist types to develop
the *assembly language* for the original 8086. Indeed, most of the
complaints I hear from people in this newsgroup about Intel's syntax (type
checking, addressing semantics, etc.), probably exist because they *had*
computer scientists rather than electrical engineers design the syntax :-).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Randall Hyde on

"Hans-Bernhard Broeker" <broeker(a)physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message

> Actually, there are only two real dialects of x86 assembly these days:
> MASM (MS's implementation of the original Intel syntax), and gas. All
> other assemblers that want a noticeable share of the market strive to
> emulate either of these to the letter.

Last time I counted, there were about a half-dozen different dialects of x86
assembly language. I don't know how you define "real", but assemblers like
NASM, FASM, GoAsm, TASM, MASM, Gas/ATT, Gas/Intel, and HLA all have fairly
decent followings (numbering in the thousands of users, each). Granted,
MASM (because of its 20-year history) has the largest market share, by far,
but the others are growing and cutting into that market share. Particularly
as people move away from using the Windows platform.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: wolfgang kern on

Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

[about assembler syntax]

| > That's new to me, AT&T/gas/gcc/.. use Intel/AMD recommended style?

| No. But I'm willing to forgive AT&T (and GNU, which borrowed their
| syntax) this violation of a well-founded principle, on the grounds
| that Intel's original x86 assembly language is so incredibly horrible.

This AT&T solution is absolutely not well suited for x86 processors,
it's weird and confusing and far away from explaining an operation.
Just read all the FAQ's on it.

| Actually, there are only two real dialects of x86 assembly these days:
| MASM (MS's implementation of the original Intel syntax), and gas. All
| other assemblers that want a noticeable share of the market strive to
| emulate either of these to the letter.

Yes, the market share ... and MASM as the Windoze/C-side tool.
But as we last few pure ASM-coders here in A.L.A see and use many
things far beyond the M$-world imagination, we aren't bound to it.
How will MASM rank within C+/-..?, I think less than one per million.

btw: FASM/NASM seem to be the most used by ASM-newbies recently,
you may say this are only a handful, but the ASM-population grows daily.

__
wolfgang kern (Author of KESYS)
How fast and short could windoze be
if everyone would think like me.
http://web.utanet.at/schw1285/KESYS/index.htm

From: Betov on
"Randall Hyde" <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> ýcrivait

> assemblers like
> NASM, FASM, GoAsm, TASM, MASM, Gas/ATT, Gas/Intel, and HLA all have
> fairly decent followings (numbering in the thousands of users, each)

* HLA is not an Assembler. It is an HLL Pre-Parser,
that reads a Source File in HLA Syntax, and outputs
nothing but an Asm Source.

* HLA has almost no users, as everybody can see by
taking a quick look at the various boards, where
you try to damage Assembly, by selling yourself.
HLA has only a couple of _victims_ each week, who
are gone one or two weeks later, not considering
the tiny couple of definitive idiots keeping stuck
with this horror.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
"wolfgang kern" <nowhere(a)nevernet.at> ýcrivait news:dc0cfm$76k$1
@newsreader1.utanet.at:

> FASM/NASM seem to be the most used by ASM-newbies recently,
> you may say this are only a handful, but the ASM-population grows daily

Indead. I regulary take a look at all Assemblers Boards,
and the number of Posts, for example, at FASM Board, is
now beating the number of MASM Board Posts.

Also, considering that there is, so to say, no real Asmers
using MASM (99% of them are HLL Programmers making occasional
use of MASM for HLLs' enhancements...), and that most of FASM
users are real Asmers doing real things (like the MenuetOS
developers, and such...), the real growing rate of the real
"ASM-population", is quite encouraging.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >