From: CBFalconer on
Betov wrote:
> William Meyer <wmeyer(a)sbcglobal.net> ýcrivait news:
>
>> If you've nothing of substance to contribute to the ongoing debate on
>> what constitutes a "real" implementation of an X86 assembly language
>> tool, I'm sure I am not alone in hoping you will merely observe.
>
> If someone can translate this strange sentence in english...

Your inability to parse a perfectly clear English sentence is not
our responsibility. However, Mr. Meyers hopes have apparently not
been met.

--
Chuck F (cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com) (cbfalconer(a)worldnet.att.net)

From: Robert Redelmeier on
In alt.lang.asm Betov <betov(a)free.fr> wrote:
> William Meyer <wmeyer(a)sbcglobal.net> ?crivait
>
>> If you've nothing of substance to contribute to the ongoing debate on
>> what constitutes a "real" implementation of an X86 assembly language
>> tool, I'm sure I am not alone in hoping you will merely observe.
>
> If someone can translate this strange sentence in english...
>
> Thanks in advance. > > > Betov.

The sentence is in perfectly good english. Maybe a little
long and complex. When in difficulty, you might find
http://bablefish.altavista.com a useful tool. It rendered:

: Si vous n'avez rien ý de la substance contribuer ý la
: discussion continue sur ce qui constitue une "vraie" exýcution
: d'un outil de langage de l'assemblage X86, je suis sýr que
: je ne suis pas seul en vous espýrant observerai simplement.

A few mistakes, but not all that bad French.
To be more clear, the last line could have said:
"je ne suis pas seul en esperant que vous observeriez simplement"

-- Robert

From: Paul Marciano on

¬a\/b wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2005 13:52:34 -0700, "Paul Marciano" <pm940(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >I've written ten of thousands of lines of 68K assembler in my time. I
> >think it's a very easy to use instruction set format.
>
> so what have you written? "ten of thousands of lines of 68K assembler"
> of what? An operative system or other?

Hey, thanks for the interest. I grew up on home computers - my first
exposure to the 68K was the Atari ST, on which I wrote non-commercial
games. No money for a C compiler so it was all in assembly. Over the
course of a few years that was easily my first 10,000 lines of code for
graphics, sprite engines, interrupt-based screen effects, sound
programming, low level access to the floppy disk controller, DMA, and
of course higher level game logic.

Professionally I worked on VME based networking devices, mostly in 'C'
but also boot code, exception handlers, crash dumps. Worked at that
level on a number of projects.

Tens of thousands of lines over the course of 8 or 9 years.

Big fun. Even though I almost exclusively work in 'C' above the
operating system nowadays, I never pass up an opportunity to get down
and dirty with microcontrollers or assembly language. Yes, I'm a geek.

Cheers,
Paul.

From: CBFalconer on
Betov wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com> ýcrivait
>> Betov wrote:
>>> William Meyer <wmeyer(a)sbcglobal.net> ýcrivait news:

>>> If someone can translate this strange sentence in english...
>>
>> Your inability to parse a perfectly clear English sentence is not
>> our responsibility. However, Mr. Meyers hopes have apparently not
>> been met.
>
> Sorry, but the above sentence members do not make any sense
> to me:

.... snip 70 odd lines of raving ...

PLONK

--
Chuck F (cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com) (cbfalconer(a)worldnet.att.net)

From: Dave Hansen on
On 24 Jul 2005 12:37:05 GMT, Hans-Bernhard Broeker
<broeker(a)physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>In comp.arch.embedded wolfgang kern <nowhere(a)nevernet.at> wrote:
[...]
>> That's new to me, AT&T/gas/gcc/.. use Intel/AMD recommeded style?
>
>No. But I'm willing to forgive AT&T (and GNU, which borrowed their
>syntax) this violation of a well-founded principle, on the grounds
>that Intel's original x86 assembly language is so incredibly horrible.

I might be able to extend the same forgiveness, were it not for the
fact that AT&T/gas is so much _worse_.

FWIW, back when I did a lot of x86 assembler, I used TASM's IDEAL mode
for any code I wrote, and its MASM emulation mode (sans QUIRKS) for
assembling third-party code (if it had needed QUIRKS, I probably would
have re-written it). I used Metaware High-C for C code, and avoided
gas/gcc altogether.

Regards,

-=Dave
--