From: R. C. White on
Hi, Jud.

Thanks for the tips.

But, unlike many others, I'm actually happy with WLMail - MOSTLY. This new
beta has some quirks that MUST be worked out before RTW! In the early 90's,
I tried a dozen or more ways to access NGs, BBSes, CompuServe and other
online services. When OE appeared, I could - for the first time - access
all my email servers with a single phone call on my dial-up modem. That
felt so good that I soon abandoned Pegasus, GEnie, Netscape Communicator and
all the others and have used only OE/WM/WLM since then. I know the others
are out there, and I hear many MVPs and other recommend them highly, but I'm
just not in the mood to leave my "rocking chair" so long as WLM does what I
want it to do. ;^}

And, since adding this 1 TB HDD last year, I once more have "more disk space
than I'll ever need", just like I did when I got that humongous 20 MB drive
several years ago. :^{

I intentionally downloaded all those 70,000 messages because I want to keep
their full texts here on my hard disk. Why? Because I'm a packrat, I
suppose. But this has been a most-informative NG and I'd hate to lose the
store of data, even if I never need it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jud Hendrix" wrote in message

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:41:14 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote:

>AND I've subscribed to this same NG on my ISP's news server, which I think
>is Giganews. That NG now shows 69,997 messages (back to 5/8/2005), because
>I chose to download "All Messages" one time and patiently waited for hours
>as they were all downloaded via cable. Then I used Catch Up to mark them
>all read. I've read some of the messages received there since then, but
>not
>all, since I'm also reading them here; I currently show 234 unread in that
>NG.

I could suggest you get a bit more modern newsreader. Forte Agent 6 can do a
"catch-up" without actually downloading anything, and it also can also
receive
the headers in compressed form, which makes retrieving a lot of them, very
quick (up to 10 times faster).

jud

From: Drew on
I have this group locked in on 3 different servers.. I have learned a untold
amount through this group most often from the sidelines but I would miss it
if it were gone.. I will continue to be here to the bitter end!!

From: Charlie Russel-MVP on
I haven't heard anything more than anyone else, Carlos. But I expect
sometime next week for someone at MS to make us 'read only' on the msnews
servers. At which point, I'll switch over to my secondary server. I'll be
here, regardless. (Though I'm buried right now with work, so a bit sporadic
in checking in.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

From: Steve Foster on
Carlos wrote:

> We are getting closer to August 1st, the alleged date when MSFT will
> no longer support this group.
> Will August 1st be "E.L.E." (Extinction Level Event) like the movie?
> :)
> I am still posting both via Web and one of the servers already
> suggested here. I expect to see everybody around here in the
> afterlife next Monday. Carlos

We'll be here, even if Microsoft isn't.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Carlos on
Still here, August 1st. and posting via web as usual.
:)
Carlos