From: Mark Bestley on
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Just an added note. It takes about a minute for BBC News 24 to load
> > > clicking on the link- but only around 6-8 seconds if using the direct
> > > link via iplayer. I really don't think it's the computer that's the
> > > problem here...
> >
> > Any time I have trouble like that, I try a different Web browser.
> >
> > Never got the bottom of it, but it seems to help sometimes.
> >
> > I select from:
> >
> > Firefox
> > Safari
> > iCab
> > Opera
> > OmniWeb
> > Camino
> >
> > in (roughly) that order.
>
> I'd tried 3 of those already, but you got me thinking, so I fired up
> virtual XP (via VirtualBox) and what do you know? Explorer on XP works
> in a third of the time. So, whatever the problem is, it's not just the
> processor speed. (I note that faster macs will have less of a problem.)

Try stopping flash - thinks load much quicker. Wiyj Falsh on you can see
the CPU pegged at 100% for some time. *Falsh on Macs is much worse rthan
on Windows although I have not tried the newwst release)

--
Mark
From: David Horne on
Mark Bestley <news{@bestley.co.uk> wrote:

[]
> Try stopping flash - thinks load much quicker. Wiyj Falsh on you can see
> the CPU pegged at 100% for some time. *Falsh on Macs is much worse rthan
> on Windows although I have not tried the newwst release)

I'm aware of the problems with Flash, but as that's what the BBC website
uses, and I do want to do things like listen to radio/watch video, I'm
stuck with it. The problem here is that whatever the BBC did to their
news website, it sucks on older macs like mine. It's annoying because
for all the problems with Flash, I don't use any other websites as
problematic as this. It's interesting that it doesn't affect the iplayer
for example.

The fact that they are still using Flash in a major upgrade of the
website would suggest that the BBC aren't planning on dumping it for
alternatives soon.

I think the solution at the moment is to use Chrome for the BBC news
website, as it's interface isn't affected like Safari or Firefox, even
if video takes as long to load. The fact that I can get virtual windows
to run it faster than OS X is a bit of a joke.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
From: Mark on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:15:47 +0100, David Horne wrote
(in article <1jn1yu7.qt2wah79avqyN%d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk>):

> Mark Bestley <news{@bestley.co.uk> wrote:
>
> []
>> Try stopping flash - thinks load much quicker. Wiyj Falsh on you can see
>> the CPU pegged at 100% for some time. *Falsh on Macs is much worse rthan
>> on Windows although I have not tried the newwst release)
>
> I'm aware of the problems with Flash, but as that's what the BBC website
> uses, and I do want to do things like listen to radio/watch video, I'm
> stuck with it. The problem here is that whatever the BBC did to their
> news website, it sucks on older macs like mine. It's annoying because
> for all the problems with Flash, I don't use any other websites as
> problematic as this. It's interesting that it doesn't affect the iplayer
> for example.
>
> The fact that they are still using Flash in a major upgrade of the
> website would suggest that the BBC aren't planning on dumping it for
> alternatives soon.
>
> I think the solution at the moment is to use Chrome for the BBC news
> website, as it's interface isn't affected like Safari or Firefox, even
> if video takes as long to load. The fact that I can get virtual windows
> to run it faster than OS X is a bit of a joke.

There are some user scripts here
<http://userscripts.org/scripts/search?q=bbc&x=0&y=0> which might help.

Mark

From: Woody on
David Horne <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Mark Bestley <news{@bestley.co.uk> wrote:
>
> []
>> Try stopping flash - thinks load much quicker. Wiyj Falsh on you can
> > see
>> the CPU pegged at 100% for some time. *Falsh on Macs is much worse
> > rthan
>> on Windows although I have not tried the newwst release)
>
> I'm aware of the problems with Flash, but as that's what the BBC
> website
> uses, and I do want to do things like listen to radio/watch video, I'm
> stuck with it. The problem here is that whatever the BBC did to their
> news website, it sucks on older macs like mine. It's annoying because
> for all the problems with Flash, I don't use any other websites as
> problematic as this. It's interesting that it doesn't affect the
> iplayer
> for example.
>
> The fact that they are still using Flash in a major upgrade of the
> website would suggest that the BBC aren't planning on dumping it for
> alternatives soon.

Well, they must have that data somewhere as the iPad version of BBC news
is quick, responsive and full of video, and the ipad is both less
powerful than most macs and without flash.

--
Woody
From: David Horne on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> David Horne <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Mark Bestley <news{@bestley.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > []
> >> Try stopping flash - thinks load much quicker. Wiyj Falsh on you can
> > > see
> >> the CPU pegged at 100% for some time. *Falsh on Macs is much worse
> > > rthan
> >> on Windows although I have not tried the newwst release)
> >
> > I'm aware of the problems with Flash, but as that's what the BBC
> > website
> > uses, and I do want to do things like listen to radio/watch video, I'm
> > stuck with it. The problem here is that whatever the BBC did to their
> > news website, it sucks on older macs like mine. It's annoying because
> > for all the problems with Flash, I don't use any other websites as
> > problematic as this. It's interesting that it doesn't affect the
> > iplayer
> > for example.
> >
> > The fact that they are still using Flash in a major upgrade of the
> > website would suggest that the BBC aren't planning on dumping it for
> > alternatives soon.
>
> Well, they must have that data somewhere as the iPad version of BBC news
> is quick, responsive and full of video, and the ipad is both less
> powerful than most macs and without flash.

They do, but they're not using it. Similarly, the iphone/ipod version
works very well indeed. But, as I said before, this not just about
flash, as the web iplayer (which uses it) works very well.

It's simply a frustration that this particular element (flash
video/audio via the 'new' news website) is working so poorly on older
macs.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: location based shutdown
Next: iphoto to Thunderbird