From: d4g4h4 on
Has anyone noticed how slow video and audio now loads on the new BBC
news website? It's less noticeable with faster machines. My 2 year old
macbook is OK- though it's a bit slower than before. With my 4 year old
macbook, it's useless really. Takes up to a minute for a 2 minute video
to load. Even this page takes a minute-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10928238

The iplayer, meanwhile, works as brilliantly and quickly as before, so I
don't see that why there should be such a problem. It's a bit annoying
as the old macbook otherwise works very well for everything else I'm
using it for, and I'm not aware of any other website (including flash
heavy ones) which exhibit similar problems.

I tried the new site on my mum's old PC (forget brand) which has minimal
ram- it's a slow computer for almost anything, but handles the website
far better than my macbook. Odd...

The editors have admitted to a problem, but I don't know if it will be
fixed. I don't really mind the new design otherwise.

I only use Chrome now, because both Firefox and Safari actually slow
down while the audio/video loads, including navigating up and down the
page. Chrome doesn't have the same problem, though takes as long to
load.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
From: d4g4h4 on
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone noticed how slow video and audio now loads on the new BBC
> news website? It's less noticeable with faster machines. My 2 year old
> macbook is OK- though it's a bit slower than before. With my 4 year old
> macbook, it's useless really. Takes up to a minute for a 2 minute video
> to load. Even this page takes a minute-
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10928238

Just an added note. It takes about a minute for BBC News 24 to load
clicking on the link- but only around 6-8 seconds if using the direct
link via iplayer. I really don't think it's the computer that's the
problem here...

From: Rowland McDonnell on
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone noticed how slow video and audio now loads on the new BBC
> > news website? It's less noticeable with faster machines. My 2 year old
> > macbook is OK- though it's a bit slower than before. With my 4 year old
> > macbook, it's useless really. Takes up to a minute for a 2 minute video
> > to load. Even this page takes a minute-
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10928238
>
> Just an added note. It takes about a minute for BBC News 24 to load
> clicking on the link- but only around 6-8 seconds if using the direct
> link via iplayer. I really don't think it's the computer that's the
> problem here...

Any time I have trouble like that, I try a different Web browser.

Never got the bottom of it, but it seems to help sometimes.

I select from:

Firefox
Safari
iCab
Opera
OmniWeb
Camino

in (roughly) that order.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: d4g4h4 on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone noticed how slow video and audio now loads on the new BBC
> > > news website? It's less noticeable with faster machines. My 2 year old
> > > macbook is OK- though it's a bit slower than before. With my 4 year old
> > > macbook, it's useless really. Takes up to a minute for a 2 minute video
> > > to load. Even this page takes a minute-
> > >
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10928238
> >
> > Just an added note. It takes about a minute for BBC News 24 to load
> > clicking on the link- but only around 6-8 seconds if using the direct
> > link via iplayer. I really don't think it's the computer that's the
> > problem here...
>
> Any time I have trouble like that, I try a different Web browser.
>
> Never got the bottom of it, but it seems to help sometimes.
>
> I select from:
>
> Firefox
> Safari
> iCab
> Opera
> OmniWeb
> Camino
>
> in (roughly) that order.

I'd tried 3 of those already, but you got me thinking, so I fired up
virtual XP (via VirtualBox) and what do you know? Explorer on XP works
in a third of the time. So, whatever the problem is, it's not just the
processor speed. (I note that faster macs will have less of a problem.)

From: Rowland McDonnell on
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
> world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

H.G. Wells wrote a book called `War in the air' before the First World
War. *AFTER* that horror, he wrote a long second introduction for it
comparing his predictions with what happened, and his thoughts for the
future.

After the Second World War, Mr Wells wrote a third introduction. This
time it was quite short.

"I told you so, you /damned/ fools."

(his emphasis).

Rowland.

N.B. War in the Air involves, yep, aeroplane-dropped nuclear bombs.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
http://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: location based shutdown
Next: iphoto to Thunderbird