From: d4g4h4 on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Flash seems to have trouble on PPC Macs, I have noticed that.
> > >
> > > My old 4G5 couldn't render HD BBC streams totally smoothly - it did okay
> > > until you got slow wide panning shots, which always stuttered, but: CPU
> > > load remained at about 70%/4.
> > >
> > > On my Intel iMac, HD streams work more smoothly, and CPU load goes above
> > > 100%/2.
> > >
> > > <shrug> No idea, no idea at all.
> > >
> > > I suspect you'd find that my 1GHz G4 iLamp renders the pages in question
> > > in a fraction of the time you're seeing on your sluggish Mac. I don't
> > > see any reason to think that you're up against a CPU limit here, given
> > > how my ancient iLamp performs.
> > >
> > > What *IS* the CPU in your older MacBook?
> >
> > It's 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 1.5 GB RAM, running 10.6.4.
>
> Well, a 1GHz G4 with 768MB RAM running 10.4.11 can render the BBC pages
> in question without sluggishness, and can play the video okay just so
> long as I make sure there's plenty of RAM free. Otherwise, the page
> loads quickly enough, audio plays fine, but the video is just a series
> of unconnected stills.
>
> So whatever's wrong in this case, it's *certain* that the CPU in the
> MacBook is not the limit in this case, given the adequate performance of
> my 1GHz G4 iLamp on the same pages.
>
> I mean, think about it - your problem machine has a 2GHz 64 bit two core
> CPU which is admittedly not as fast as a quad G5 at streaming
> operations, but it knocks a 1GHz G4 into a cocked hat.
>
> (yes okay so you're probably not getting any benefit from the 64-bitness
> in this case, but still...)

You were right- see my post on the fix, which was just changing the
flash settings!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
From: Rowland McDonnell on
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) <d4g4h4(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> You were right- see my post on the fix, which was just changing the
> flash settings!

<grin> Good-oh.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me