From: TaurArian on
Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions.
Perhaps someone else may have something new you haven't tried yet.
Kaylene

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Little Cupcakes" <edmioduckiONLYATgmail.com> wrote in message
> Win XP SP2
>
> BITS set as "Automatic"
>
> In event viewer: "The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service
> terminated with service-specific error 2147942402 (0x80070002)."

LC,

Did you actually see that decimal value some place?
For a while I thought that WU had switched to reporting unsigned
error codes and then decided I must have been imagining it.

> From services.msc (trying to start BITS manually) the error is reported as
> "service-specific error code -2147024894".

That is exactly the same bit pattern when the high-order bit
is interpreted as a sign bit.

To see this using calc.exe, make sure you are in Scientific mode
(Alt-V,S); then assuming the mode is Decimal (press F6 if not),
copy and paste that (signed) string into the input box and press F5.
(If you don't copy the sign press F9 to give it one before pressing F5.)
If the hex mode is Qword instead of Dword press F2 to strip off the
superfluous high-order bits.

> I've seen many other posts about various OTHER BITS error codes (and I
> assume we all mean Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and have tried
> some of the solutions for those different codes.
>
> Thus far these have not worked:
> -checked the log on tab in services.msc-this service is enabled for this
> profile
> -used "rd /q /s "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloaýder""
> -verified "Workstation" service is running
> -following the advice of a poster, tried to find a download of BITS
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8c6ef6c8-2abf-43c7-&displaylang=en
> but the file's not there anymore.

FWIW I think that that suggestion relies overly on an interpretation
of the example that which is usually given with it in MSDN documentation.
I have suggested to others that this could be interpreted as a problem
in the SoftwareDistribution folder, in which case doing some of the
subdirectory cleanup which is commonly advised there would help.
Results with the idea seem to be mixed.

Personally I would just try to get better diagnostics of the symptom.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/7a91579b0d31d11d/09f2597bbf9de42b?q=80070002+OR+0x80070002+author:aldwinckle+group:microsoft.public.windowsupdate&rnum=1#09f2597bbf9de42b

(Google Groups search for
80070002 OR 0x80070002 author:aldwinckle group:microsoft.public.windowsupdate
- sorted by date
- scroll to bottom to see quote
)

<quote>
I think that your best diagnostic
will be getting a FileMon log of accesses to SoftwareDistribution
interleaved with the writes done to WindowsUpdate.log. You could
do exactly the same thing to get more information about your install
failure but I suspect that first you can some clues in the install log.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: astrosue on

Anymore on this issue? I still cannot start the service.
I RPC supposeed to be a local or network system setting.
Seems I changed either that service or RPC Locator from
network to local and then do not know how to set it back
due to a missing file name. And what are those passwords
about under networkk settings?

Sue

--
astrosue
astrosue's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1730

From: mark_hash on
Thanks that worked for me!

From: LenDjr on
Hello all,
Just so you don't feel you're alone, I have had the exact same problem for
the past 3-4 months. I've tried all the solutions recommended to no avail.
The bottom line appears to be that the BITs isn't running. RPC is running
but when I tell BITs to start I get the "server-specific error code
2147024891"
I have SP2 installed (and have had it installed for quite some time AND was
able to have WU automatically work before and after SP2 was installed).
I use spybot S&D to clean up my system.
I can't correlate my problem to any particular software install or update
(except maybe MS's firewall they released a few months ago)
Misery likes company but I hope we can all find a solution.