From: kphillips on

From: kphillips on
Woo Hoo! I too had the same problem with the BITS service failing to
start. I removed the downloader folder (C:\documents and settings\all
users\application data\microsoft\network\downloader)and started the
BITS service successfully!

You guys ROCK!

From: David_C on
Hello all,

If deleting the ..\downloader folder has not solved your problem try
this. It should do the trick.

1. Open a new text document on your desktop.
-right click on desktop
-point to new
-point to text document

2. Copy and paste the following entries into the text document.

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

3. Save this file as a batch file.
-click on save as
-open the drop down box at the bottom to read save as file type: all
files
-name of file: BITS_fix.bat (the .bat is creating a batch file)

4. Run the BITS_fix.bat (double-click)

5. Now start BITS service. Should start fine and allow all updates.

Explanation: (I think this is what's happening)
-Removing an anti-virus program removes or corrupts initpki.dll.

Hopes this works for any frustrated users out there.

From: Don on
Thank you, David. I have struggled with this problem quite a while. Your
..bat solution worked. Norton Internet Security was uninstalled from my
laptop recently. If initpki.dll was corrupted, how does the bat file fix it?

From: David_C on
Don,

I'm glad that worked for you. regsvr32 name.dll registers .dll's
(system files) that have become "unregistered" so to speak. Norton is
notorious for causing problems when it is uninstalled.

The .bat file re-registers all necessary .dll's to get BITS started
again and to fix any other .dll's that may also have been "corrupted".