From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"LenDjr" <LenDjr(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> Just so you don't feel you're alone, I have had the exact same problem for
> the past 3-4 months. I've tried all the solutions recommended to no avail.
> The bottom line appears to be that the BITs isn't running. RPC is running
> but when I tell BITs to start I get the "server-specific error code
> 2147024891"

With these codes you have to pay attention to their sign.
I suspect that there is a minus sign in front of yours.
In that case it is equivalent to 80070005 in hex
and more explicitly that the 80070002 of the Subject
implies that you have a permissions problem
or some other serious configuration error
since it means "Access Denied"

Take a look through some recent threads which may have featured
MSFT or MVP involvement about this code. (I.e., try to filter in
as much as possible threads which are likely to have some suggestions
in them.)

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=(80070005+OR+0x80070005)++(MSFT+OR+MVP)++group:microsoft.public.windowsupdate&start=0&scoring=d&

(Google Groups search for
(80070005 OR 0x80070005) (MSFT OR MVP) group:microsoft.public.windowsupdate
- sorted by date to try to capture current thinking
)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: JDPower on

I found a fix that works, well it did for me. Spent two months in
correspendance with Microsoft but none of their suggestions were
working. Then I had a little program recommended to me that I
reluctantly tried but after running it BITS had started up again and as
a result updates are working again, WOOHOO!

I don't want to post a direct link on here as its not my program to
post but if anyone would like to PM me I will happily send it to them.

--
JDPower
JDPower's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1782

From: Nailz_Arizona on
For the love of God, please post the program or fix if you have it - PLEASE.

From: John H <John on
Amen to that! What is the program ???

From: John H on
You won't believe it - I got the darn thing working!!!
I kept searching and found this one post and followed it (what the heck, I
tried all the other ones). BTW: I am nominating the guy for a Nobel Prize.

Delete the downloader folder - that's it! (C:\documents and settings\all
users\application data\microsoft\network\downloader

BITS will recreate it when you start it up.
BAM! - It now works !! I have my new Windows updates installed in less
than 1 minute! Yipee!!

I hope you are as lucky,
John