From: MowGreen on
Suggest you scan the system for the presence of malware with
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM):
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Click the Download free version button.
*Save* the download. Once it completes, close all open programs and
browsers and then install MBAM.
Allow it to update it's definitions during the installation process.
Now do a Quick scan, which is the Default setting, by click the Scan button.
When the scan is finished, click the Show reults button.
Ensure that anything [IF anything was detected] that was detected is
checked and then click the Remove selected button.

*Please* post back with the results of the MBAM scan.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: Thoy on
Sorry Mow but I often see this as a stock reply........
I have no virii on my PC.. have use Mbam regularly with Avast intsalled on
PC also have checked with other anti virus progs.........

I also access IE via Sandbox.. a very useful little program..
Thanx anyway

Thoy

From: MowGreen on
Damage and/or corruption of BITS stems from 2 sources:

1) Malware
2) Incompatible security software

Since there's no malware present ... suggest you try running
Windows XP Update BITS Fix after you Clean boot XP:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Use Method 2.
In a clean boot, 3rd party software will not be loaded.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: Thoy on
THanx for those references Mow..
I tried method 1..being a cautious individual and it seemed to be working
fine until I was told that I was NOT the administrator ! This was odd as I
and the only (and administrator) using the System. I am named as "user" but
am listed as having admin priveleges... Maybe if I change my name to
Administrator it will help.

Anyway this didnt solve the bits problem but it did speed up my boot up
fantastically. After being about 5 minutes it now seems less than 1minute !
Maybe I was booting up via the system check and not
" normal".

When I recover my nerve I will try method 2.....
I will report back to group after this .

Thanx again

Thoy

From: MowGreen on
YW. FYI, there is a 3rd factor that can damage BITS, hardware issues.

Suggest you try a Clean boot and see if that helps resolve the error.
Will be gone for the next 5 days starting tomorrow.
I'll try to check this thread but doubt I'll have time to.

Something doesn't sound quite right if your account does not have Admin
privileges. 'tis why I suggested a Clean boot to rule out interference
from 3rd party software [especially, security software].
If a clean boot doesn't resolve the error you could create another User
account that has admin privileges and see if User Profile corruption is
causing the issue. It's a possibility, albeit a long shot.
IF User Profile corruption should be the issue, see:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY