From: Thoy on
this part of my windows download seems to be the reason why I cannot
directly install updates.
I can get them downloaded on another PC, put them on a stick, and then load
them OK.

This annoying rather than critical.

I have found an update to repait BITS for a vista 64, but ny=thing for
eindows XP.

I have a Dell [so no windows disc provided :-(( ] and musing home edition
XP.

Any suggestions please........

From: VanguardLH on
Thoy wrote:

> this part of my windows download seems to be the reason why I cannot
> directly install updates. I can get them downloaded on another PC,
> put them on a stick, and then load them OK.

If the BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Service) NT service
running (i.e., in Started mode)? Is it configured to Automatic
startup?
From: MowGreen on
Thoy wrote:

> this part of my windows download seems to be the reason why I cannot
> directly install updates.
> I can get them downloaded on another PC, put them on a stick, and then load
> them OK.
>
> This annoying rather than critical.
>
> I have found an update to repait BITS for a vista 64, but ny=thing for
> eindows XP.
>
> I have a Dell [so no windows disc provided :-(( ] and musing home edition
> XP.
>
> Any suggestions please........

Windows XP Update BITS Fix
http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-bits-background-intelligent-transfer-service-fix-batch-file-for-windows-xp

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
From: Thoy on
Sorry this fix doesnt seem to work.......Bits cannot be run evan after
services.misc start eithe for manual or automatic.

From: Thoy on
Have now found that if I try to restart BITS I get error code 214024891..any
ideas ??