From: SC Tom on
Jonny_S wrote:
> I am using the back up utility supplied with XP - in the Tools window
> box. It seems useful but lacks a few things.

When you open the backup utility, go to the Backup tab and put a checkmark
on your C: drive and remove it from the F:. In the lower box, either enter
F:\{wherever you want the backup to go} or click on Browse... and pick where
you want the backup to go.
--
SC Tom

From: Leythos on
In article <EF2E5A46-9F99-494A-8820-D16EA0E88779(a)microsoft.com>,
JonnyS(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> I am using the back up utility supplied with XP - in the Tools window box.
> It seems useful but lacks a few things.

Stop using the Wizard and use the standard interface where you get to
pick the drives/folders - don't include the backup drive.

Trust yourself.
From: John John - MVP on
Multiposted.

From: db on
it is pointless to have a back up archive
on the drive it backed up.

the back up archive needs to be relocated
off the drive you backed up otherwise
you defeat the purpose of backing up the
drive.

somewhere in your back up program
there has to be a place where you select
where to backup to.

in this case you want to backup your
c drive and have the archive written to
the f drive.

if your system is functional at this time,

then my suggestion is to sacrifice the back
up archive that is now on the c drive,

and make a new one at this time with the
proper configuration settings.

after you are successful then you can simply
update that one archive instead of making
additional archives.

but it will be you choice if you
want to make new archives.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jonny_S" <JonnyS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I back up w/out backing up my back up? I want to back up my entire
> system and I thought it would be smart to back it up to my external hard
> drive F. But when I click through the utility includes F as part of the
> back
> up. I just want to back up C and I would like to do the entire system so
> get the system restore disk option at the end. Any thoughts? I guess I
> can
> back it up to C (w/ F drive off) and then move that file to the F drive.
> Does that create any restore issues to anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> (Using XP Professional)
>
> (I am not sure if this posted the first time so I apologize if so.)

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Problem with remote assistance
Next: Bad Sectors