From: Gary on
What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on c
drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk scan"

The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad
piece of hardware.

Gary
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Gary" <nospam(a)ntr.net>

| What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on c
| drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk scan"

| The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad
| piece of hardware.

| Gary

It means replace the hard disk drive ASAP!

--
Dave

From: Carmel on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 07:01:11 -0500
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> articulated:

> From: "Gary" <nospam(a)ntr.net>
>
> | What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on
> c | drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk
> scan"
>
> | The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad
> | piece of hardware.
>

> | Gary
>
> It means replace the hard disk drive ASAP!

Then again, you could just get a copy of SpinRite
<http://www.grc.com/intro.htm> and run it on the drive. Set it to its
highest level of detection and repair before running it on the drive.
It has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. I just recently
used it on a laptop that two repair shops had declared unsalvageable.
If SpinRite declares the drive is broken, then purchase another one.

--
Carmel |::::=======
|===========
|===========

From: David B. on
No it doesn't, it means you should run the hard drive mfg's diagnostics on
the drive to determine if it is in fact bad.

From: Gerry on
David

Encore.

Gary

Another suggestion.Run a full surface scan with HD Tune to check for bad
sectors on the hard drive.

HD Tune only gives information and does not fix any problems.

Download and run it and see what it turns up. You want HD Tune
(freeware) version 2.55 not HD Tune Pro (not Freeware) version 3.00.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy to
Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Make sure you do a full
surface scan with HD Tune.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry