From: Yousuf Khan on
Cronos wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>> But the SMART raw data fields
>>> require human intelligence to interpret.
>
> Intelligent people don't sit around yapping about HDDs all day. They
> spend it reading Kafka, Hesse, Sarte, etc. I think you mean, requires
> knowledge and not "intelligence". Anyway, no way am I going to credit
> Rod Speed as an intelligent being. ;)

Well I doubt Kafka, Hesse, or Sartre could've recognized a failing hard
drive. But I will say that certain computer programs like HD Sentinel
are much better than average at recognizing a failing hard drive beyond
the idiotic SMART "OK" ratings, they're getting closer to human-level
quality. But of course, HD Sentinel is the culmination of years of human
experience, rolled into rules for a computer program.

Yousuf Khan
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cronos wrote:
>>
>> Intelligent people don't sit around yapping about HDDs all day. They
>> spend it reading Kafka, Hesse, Sarte, etc. I think you mean, requires
>> knowledge and not "intelligence". Anyway, no way am I going to credit
>> Rod Speed as an intelligent being. ;)

> Well I doubt Kafka, Hesse, or Sartre could've recognized a failing hard
> drive. But I will say that certain computer programs like HD Sentinel
> are much better than average at recognizing a failing hard drive beyond
> the idiotic SMART "OK" ratings, they're getting closer to human-level
> quality. But of course, HD Sentinel is the culmination of years of human
> experience, rolled into rules for a computer program.

Indeed. And so far the only pice of software I know that is halfway
competent in this area. The rest just gives you plain data
without interpretation. Truely a sad state for data storage,
but it seems a) people do not care and b) people do not have
made really bad experiences in large enough numbers.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Cronos on
Gerry wrote:
> Cronos
>
> You were saying -"HDTune is no longer free"?
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4130.html

I just checked the author's site and it says "free trial" so is still
free but there is a pay for pro version too with advanced features.
Calling it a "trial" threw me off because that implies it is just a time
limited version but in fact it is not and is free forever. He should
change it to read 'Free Version'.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
From: Cronos on
Arno wrote:

> I found both Kafka and Hesse to be exceedingly boring and often
> obvious. Quite a waste of time. Did not try Sartre.

Hesse is considered one of the greatest existential writers ever so
disagree with your comment greatly. I have read almost all of his books.
If you find it boring then it is because you don't have the intellect
for it.

> What it takes is intelligence to recognize it is actually a
> difficult problem (which is rather hard for many people, obviously)
> and experience to give intelligence something to work with.
> Knowledge does not really come into it besides that. otherwise
> you could just read up oh how to do it.

And anyone can read up on how to decipher the SMART data. Doesn't take a
rocket scientist to do that.
From: David B. on
to irritate you?