From: Jonny_S on
How do I back up w/out backing up my back up? I want to back up my entire
system and I thought it would be smart to back it up to my external hard
drive F. But when I click through the utility includes F as part of the back
up. I just want to back up C and I would like to do the entire system so I
get the system restore disk option at the end. Any thoughts? I guess I can
back it up to C (w/ F drive off) and then move that file to the F drive.
Does that create any restore issues to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

(Using XP Professional)

(I am not sure if this posted the first time so I apologize if so.)
From: Jonny_S on
So that I am not accused of cross-posting - I also listed this question here
because I did not get the successful post confirmation screen.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support&tid=6317f143-ccd6-4636-9da5-7c6af02b5dc1&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
From: Daave on
Jonny_S wrote:
> How do I back up w/out backing up my back up? I want to back up my
> entire system and I thought it would be smart to back it up to my
> external hard drive F. But when I click through the utility includes
> F as part of the back up. I just want to back up C and I would like
> to do the entire system so I get the system restore disk option at
> the end. Any thoughts? I guess I can back it up to C (w/ F drive
> off) and then move that file to the F drive. Does that create any
> restore issues to anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> (Using XP Professional)
>
> (I am not sure if this posted the first time so I apologize if so.)

What is the name of this backup program you are using? Are you perhaps
creating a recovery CD? If so, what is the make and model of your PC?

Most of the experienced people in this newsgroup prefer *imaging* their
C: partition with a program like Acronis True Image or DriveImageXML.
Simply copying files (even if you attempt to copy _all_ the files in C:)
isn't sufficient. Perhaps your backup program can perform imaging.

From: Jonny_S on
I am using the back up utility supplied with XP - in the Tools window box.
It seems useful but lacks a few things.
From: Jonny_S on
And forgot to add that I am not imaging a disk - I could do that with my
external drive I guess but I thought the back up would be more efficient for
space.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Problem with remote assistance