From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage David B. <mail(a)nomail.net> wrote:
> you don't say

What is the point of your postings so far?

Arno

From: Cronos on
Rod Speed wrote:

> Wrong. You do need to be able to interpret the raw data and not
> just mindlessly look at the OKs, and when you do that, you can often
> see a failing hard drive from the number of reallocated sectors etc.

Yes well, us idiots that can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag
like to be shown the error with pretty pictures, and HDTune does just
that. But I see HDTune is no longer free, has trial version or pay for
version. Good thing I downloaded it when it was free.
From: Cronos on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>But the SMART raw data fields
> require human intelligence to interpret.

Intelligent people don't sit around yapping about HDDs all day. They
spend it reading Kafka, Hesse, Sarte, etc. I think you mean, requires
knowledge and not "intelligence". Anyway, no way am I going to credit
Rod Speed as an intelligent being. ;)
From: Gerry on
Cronos

You were saying -"HDTune is no longer free"?

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>>But the SMART raw data fields
>> require human intelligence to interpret.

> Intelligent people don't sit around yapping about HDDs all day. They
> spend it reading Kafka, Hesse, Sarte, etc. I think you mean, requires
> knowledge and not "intelligence". Anyway, no way am I going to credit
> Rod Speed as an intelligent being. ;)

I found both Kafka and Hesse to be exceedingly boring and often
obvious. Quite a waste of time. Did not try Sartre.

What it takes is intelligence to recognize it is actually a
difficult problem (which is rather hard for many people, obviously)
and experience to give intelligence something to work with.
Knowledge does not really come into it besides that. otherwise
you could just read up oh how to do it.

Arno