From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Arno wrote:

>> I found both Kafka and Hesse to be exceedingly boring and often
>> obvious. Quite a waste of time. Did not try Sartre.

> Hesse is considered one of the greatest existential writers ever so
> disagree with your comment greatly. I have read almost all of his books.
> If you find it boring then it is because you don't have the intellect
> for it.

Not really. My problem is that I don't like the style and
that the ideas were not new to me. So no entertainment value
and no insight value, hence boring and a waste of time for me.
This is not to imply his writing generally is, just for me it
was. Should have qualified that, sorry.

>> What it takes is intelligence to recognize it is actually a
>> difficult problem (which is rather hard for many people, obviously)
>> and experience to give intelligence something to work with.
>> Knowledge does not really come into it besides that. otherwise
>> you could just read up oh how to do it.

> And anyone can read up on how to decipher the SMART data. Doesn't take a
> rocket scientist to do that.

Actually you cannot read it up. Well, you can, but mostly in
the archives of this group, as the actual meaning differs by
drive and environmental conditions. The part that takes
intelligence is to find out whether the meaning for a similar
drive is duplicated or not and how a specific drive behaves.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Gerry on
Cronos

The version you are referring to is 4, whereas an earlier version still
available is Freeware.

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: Franc Zabkar on
On 21 Jan 2010 18:30:49 GMT, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Indeed. And so far the only pice of software I know that is halfway
>competent in this area. The rest just gives you plain data
>without interpretation.

IME, some of the worst SMART tools are the ones where the author has
offered his own, often incorrect, interpretation without supplying the
actual raw data so that we can make our own judgments.

For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
Read and Written" attributes.

PCWizard's author only quotes the lowest 20 bits, and has no idea how
Seagate's Seek Error Rate and Raw Read Error Rate numbers are encoded.
Therefore a score of 60 for the Seek Error Rate is given a low health
assessment whereas in reality it usually reflects error-free
performance.

Some attribute values make no sense in decimal format. Their true
meaning is often only visible when expressed in hexadecimal.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2010 18:30:49 GMT, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:

>>Indeed. And so far the only pice of software I know that is halfway
>>competent in this area. The rest just gives you plain data
>>without interpretation.

> IME, some of the worst SMART tools are the ones where the author has
> offered his own, often incorrect, interpretation without supplying the
> actual raw data so that we can make our own judgments.

True, of course. Wrong interpretations are worse than none at all.

> For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
> raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
> will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
> Read and Written" attributes.

Urgh!

> PCWizard's author only quotes the lowest 20 bits, and has no idea how
> Seagate's Seek Error Rate and Raw Read Error Rate numbers are encoded.
> Therefore a score of 60 for the Seek Error Rate is given a low health
> assessment whereas in reality it usually reflects error-free
> performance.

Well, I think I still do not undertsand the seek error rate attribute,
but at least I know that I do not understand it. This will likely
cause poeple to toss complety healthy disks. Not good.

> Some attribute values make no sense in decimal format. Their true
> meaning is often only visible when expressed in hexadecimal.

Indeed.

Arno

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:37:29 -0800, Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>
>> For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
>> raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
>> will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
>> Read and Written" attributes.
>
>I don't care about that. If HDTune shows a red block on a pretty yellow
>background then I know there is an issue with the HDD.

What you know is that HD Tune's author thinks there is an issue.

Tell me why HD Tune's author chooses to highlight the following Spin
Retry Count in yellow:
http://eric514.mailpeers.net/hd-tune-ST3500630A.jpg

- Franc Zabkar