From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 27 July 2010 21:08 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as J
G Miller wrote...

> On Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 at 12:42:14h -0500, Mjt wrote:
>
>> JBJ's the one, IIRC, who came out here originally looking for a
>> GNU/Linux distro that looks and acts like Windows.
>
> Yes that is correct.
>
> I am rather surprised that he did not go with PC Linux OS
>
> <http://pclinuxos.COM/>

Ehm... I happen to be running PCLinuxOS (2009.2) on this machine here,
but I don't see how this would even remotely look anything like
Windows.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: J G Miller on
On Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 at 21:48:03 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> Ehm... I happen to be running PCLinuxOS (2009.2) on this machine here,
> but I don't see how this would even remotely look anything like Windows.

I did not mean to imply that PC Linux OS looks like Windoze, but wrote what
I did, because PC Linux OS has always been marketed as the distribution
supposedly easiest for Windoze refugess to use.

Before PC Linux OS migrated to KDE 4, was it not more Windoze like
in its desktop layout?

From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 27 July 2010 22:28 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as J
G Miller wrote...

> On Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 at 21:48:03 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>>
>> Ehm... I happen to be running PCLinuxOS (2009.2) on this machine
>> here, but I don't see how this would even remotely look anything like
>> Windows.
>
> I did not mean to imply that PC Linux OS looks like Windoze, but wrote
> what I did, because PC Linux OS has always been marketed as the
> distribution supposedly easiest for Windoze refugess to use.

Hmm... I have personally never had heard of PCLinuxOS being mentioned
as such. I chose it for this machine here because I needed something
that was easily deployable, with a sufficiently large repository and
that was fast to customize, and PCLinuxOS is based upon Mandriva, which
I am familiar with - or actually, with Mandriva's predecessor,
Mandrake.

I do however tend to customize a lot about the system - both in terms of
the operating system itself and in terms of my desktop environment - as
one of the first things I do after installation.

> Before PC Linux OS migrated to KDE 4, was it not more Windoze like
> in its desktop layout?

Now that I'm thinking about it, it may have had some Windows-like things
about it when I first installed it - and quite a lot more than
Mandriva, upon which it is based - but as explained briefly above, one
of the first things I do is customize everything - maybe that's why I
didn't pay much attention to what it looked like "out of the box".

I have my very own specific "KDE styling" that I apply, and as such, it
doesn't look anything like Windows anymore now, if it ever did. Unless
of course you would consider having a panel at the bottom Windows-like,
but I also have a thinner panel at the top of the screen, which houses
the menus of KDE-specific applications, similar to how it has always
been on a MacIntosh. Both panels have a "K menu" icon, and on the top
panel I have a few icons for direct access to files in the form of a
menu - it displays directory entries as menu items, but I don't know
what it's called - along with (on the right hand) a system monitor
applet that shows the uptime and the CPU load, a bookmarks icon, a file
finder icon, a screenshot icon and the KDE configuration panel icon.
The bottom panel houses (from left to right) the "K menu", a terminal
emulator menu, a "log out" and "lock screen" button pair, a "show
desktop" icon, the virtual desktop pager, the taskbar, a bunch of icons
for often-used applications (calculator, editor, Konqueror (both as
file manager and as browser), Firefox), the system tray, the clock and
then to the far right the package manager and the Mandriva Control
Center, which PCLinuxOS has inherited.

I also use the "System ++" window decorations, which have the "window
close" button on the left hand of the titlebar, along with
the "Keramik" widget style, a color scheme of my own, and my own fonts
and font sizes, and my own preferences for keyboard shorcuts - e.g. I
always replace Alt+F4 by Alt+Esc for closing a window, among other
things. I also reorganize which icons go on the panel and which don't,
and I delete a lot of superfluous icons from the desktop, of which I
must admit that PCLinuxOS did come with a lot of those.

It is not my intent to make the GUI look like a MacIntosh - I have sat
at a pre-OS X Mac a few times, but I don't exactly consider that to be
the perfect GUI for me either - but it just so happens to be that some
of the things I have implemented are MacIntosh-like, while other things
may come from e.g. OS/2 - I have in the past used OS/2 for over five
years, and conversely I have only used Windows (NT) for two years, and
a few months on DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.0 when I had just bought my
first computer in 1991 and while I was awaiting the release of the
first 32-bit version of OS/2. (Before that I had always been using DOS
(3.30 and 4.01) on x86 machines (which were not my own), and I had some
minor non-root experience on UNIX as well.)

I have no experience with KDE 4.x yet - although soon I will - but one
of the things I've always liked about KDE is its customizability, not
just in theming but also in organization. You can literally make it
look like whatever you want, and I make ample use of that. ;-)

One of the things I appreciate very much now in this KDE 3.5.10 and
which I did not have yet in earlier KDE versions is Yakuake. If you're
not familiar with KDE, it's a pull-down terminal emulator, akin to
Konsole. You bring it up with a shortcut key - typically F12 - and
it's incredibly handy. It also supports tabs, so you can have multiple
terminal emulators open in it at the same time, just as with Konsole.
It also supports the same pseudo-transparency. I use it a lot; it
doesn't need an entry in the taskbar and I don't have to switch to a
different virtual desktop (or to a virtual console) in order to use a
terminal or wait for Konsole to open. It's there when you need it, and
it's out of your way when you don't. ;-)

From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 at 01:11:34h +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> Hmm... I have personally never had heard of PCLinuxOS being mentioned
> as such.

Maybe you have not read enough reviews in the past.

In no way do I wish to disparage PCLinuxOS and think that it provides a
great distribution with an approach different to other distributions,
but it really did, when it first started, bill its-self as the system
for people who were used to Windows.

And even more recently one can find

From <http://pclosmag.COM/html/Issues/200906/page03.html>

QUOTE

The KDE in PCLinuxOS looked and felt like Windows Explorer, with its
'Start' Button, and the Quick Launch-like panel beside it.

Even the window I opened when I accessed my Lacie Drive was reminiscent
of Explorer, and this made it SO EASY for me to adapt to and use.

THIS is how Linux SHOULD BE.

UNQUOTE

From <http://www.linuxtoday.COM/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-10-05-001-26-RV-MD-SW>

QUOTE

Could PCLinuxOS 2007 Spell Death for Windows on the Desktop?

PCLinuxOS 2007 sports a snappy KDE interface that falls somewhere between the
look and feel of Windows XP and the fresh coolness of Vista without all the
heaviness that accompanies Vista.

UNQUOTE

From <http://www.dedoimedo.COM/computers/pclinuxos-2010.html>

QUOTE

PCLinuxOS is a distribution that aims to lure unsuspecting Windows users into
the warm fold of Linux.

To this end, the KDE theme is somewhat tweaked to make them more comfortable
and at home.

You get a classic K-Menu and the taskbar is very Windows-like, with stackedĀ and
spaced icons for open applications.

UNQUOTE

Do you see a pattern in these reviews?

> PCLinuxOS is based upon Mandriva, which I am familiar with - or actually,
> with Mandriva's predecessor, Mandrake.

Which prompts the question for the curious, why did you not want to
stay with Mandriva?

> I have my very own specific "KDE styling"

From what you have stated further down, you are still using KDE 3.5.
You are going to get a shock then when you discover that you will
not be able to take very much of your customizations to KDE 4.

> The bottom panel houses (from left to right) the "K menu"

I always liked the tiles that one could apply to the panel buttons,
sadly in KDE 4 that is all gone.

> I have no experience with KDE 4.x yet

To say that it is a little different in appearance and form
is an understatement.
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 28 July 2010 01:56 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
J G Miller wrote...

> On Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 at 01:11:34h +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>>
>> Hmm... I have personally never had heard of PCLinuxOS being
>> mentioned as such.
>
> Maybe you have not read enough reviews in the past.

*That* is quite possible. :-)

> In no way do I wish to disparage PCLinuxOS and think that it provides
> a great distribution with an approach different to other
> distributions, but it really did, when it first started, bill its-self
> as the system for people who were used to Windows.
>
> And even more recently one can find
>
> From <http://pclosmag.COM/html/Issues/200906/page03.html>
>
> QUOTE
>
> The KDE in PCLinuxOS looked and felt like Windows Explorer, with its
> 'Start' Button, and the Quick Launch-like panel beside it.

There was no "Start" button in this one, because that's something I
would have remembered. It was just the typical "K menu", with an icon
that reads "PC". I'm not sure on what he means by that "quick launch"
thing, but if he means the new, wider "K menu" as it first appeared in
SuSE, then that is available, but not enabled by default. The default
was the classic KDE menu, and that's also what I'm using.

> Even the window I opened when I accessed my Lacie Drive was
> reminiscent of Explorer, and this made it SO EASY for me to adapt to
> and use.
>
> THIS is how Linux SHOULD BE.

Written by a Win-addict, obviously. ;-)

<http://www.linuxtoday.COM/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-10-05-001-26-RV-MD-SW>

> QUOTE
>
> Could PCLinuxOS 2007 Spell Death for Windows on the Desktop?
>
> PCLinuxOS 2007 sports a snappy KDE interface that falls somewhere
> between the look and feel of Windows XP and the fresh coolness of
> Vista without all the heaviness that accompanies Vista.
>
> UNQUOTE

Well, this is the 2009.2 release, and I don't know what earlier versions
looked like. It's the first time I'm using PCLinuxOS.

> From <http://www.dedoimedo.COM/computers/pclinuxos-2010.html>
>
> QUOTE
>
> PCLinuxOS is a distribution that aims to lure unsuspecting Windows
> users into the warm fold of Linux.
>
> To this end, the KDE theme is somewhat tweaked to make them more
> comfortable and at home.
>
> You get a classic K-Menu and the taskbar is very Windows-like, with
> stackedĀ and spaced icons for open applications.
>
> UNQUOTE

Again written by someone who has never seen anything other than Windows,
obviously. The KDE taskbar has always had stacked and spaced buttons
for open applications, even back in KDE 1.x.

> Do you see a pattern in these reviews?

Yes, they're all written by Win-droolers. ;-)

>> PCLinuxOS is based upon Mandriva, which I am familiar with - or
>> actually, with Mandriva's predecessor, Mandrake.
>
> Which prompts the question for the curious, why did you not want to
> stay with Mandriva?

I'm not sure but I think that it had to do with Mandriva having switched
to KDE 4.x, which was still quite buggy at the time and lacked lots of
functionality, or so I gathered from my residence in the Mandriva
group. I knew that PCLinuxOS still offered KDE 3.5.10.

Another reason is somewhat political. Even though Mandriva is a good
all-round distribution, Mandriva as a company has made some bad
goof-ups over the years, which exhibit a severe dose of corporatitis.
They've actually even kicked out their own founder "due to cutbacks".
This is something that a lot of us Mandrake/Mandriva users have taken
the wrong way, myself included.

Another point of criticism is that Mandriva has for quite a few years
already been adding more Windows'isms, and they are of course not the
only distro to go there, but that doesn't mean that I like it. And as
stated, I was unfamiliar with PCLinuxOS, apart from that it still came
with KDE 3.5.10 and that it was based on Mandriva. I didn't even know
that it came as a downloadable live CD only until I actually looked for
it on the mirrors in order to download it.

Mind you, PCLinuxOS is far from perfect as well. There were some
terrible things going wrong with the package manager when I had first
installed it. Installing certain additional packages like "ispell" for
instance would result in "ldconfig" being deleted from the system,
rendering it unbootable. This was scheduled to happen when installing
many other packages as well. I reported this gross screw-up to the
package maintainers, but I haven't seen any follow-ups to it, and I
have since then abstained from installing too many additional packages.

>> I have my very own specific "KDE styling"
>
> From what you have stated further down, you are still using KDE 3.5.

Yes, KDE 3.5.10. That was one of the reasons why I opted for PCLinuxOS.

> You are going to get a shock then when you discover that you will
> not be able to take very much of your customizations to KDE 4.

Well, those customizations are not restored from files, though. I start
from scratch, but I just always change the same things, and into the
same (or a similarly enough) styling.

>> The bottom panel houses (from left to right) the "K menu"
>
> I always liked the tiles that one could apply to the panel buttons,
> sadly in KDE 4 that is all gone.

I didn't like those, actually. ;-)

>> I have no experience with KDE 4.x yet
>
> To say that it is a little different in appearance and form
> is an understatement.

I know... I've seen the screenshots and a few YouTube videos of it. I
am however hoping that it'll still allow me to customize it to my
liking. :-/