From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 29 July 2010 04:18 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
JBJ (4920) wrote...

> "Aragorn" <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen
>
>> On Tuesday 27 July 2010 19:42 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
>> as mjt wrote...

>>> JBJ's the one, IIRC, who came out here originally looking
>>> for a GNU/Linux distro that looks and acts like Windows.
>>
>> How about this one?
>>
>> http://www.mslinux.org
>>
>> :p

(Please fix your newsreader; you are not supposed to quote the signature
of the person you are replying to.)

> You just made the hairs in the back of my neck stand straight out:)

You do realize that this website is a hoax, don't you? ;-) I think it
even dates back to 2003 or something. What I also find very amusing is
the Gates Private License. :p

That said, Microsoft *does* have a GNU/Linux lab - this is authentic,
and in fact, Daniel Robbins, the founder of Gentoo, has been employed
there - but the idea behind that is not that Microsoft would be
developing its own GNU/Linux distribution, but rather that they hope to
learn from GNU/Linux, and possibly - as was the case with their Hyper-V
hypervisor - try to knick off some GPL'ed code for use in their own
projects while hoping that nobody finds out.

> The idea was to move away from windows, but keep functinality as close
> to it as possible.

This I do not understand. The word "functionality" is operating
system-independent. There is nothing you can do in Windows that you
wouldn't be able to do in GNU/Linux, but on the other hand the opposite
is not true; there is a *lot* you can do in GNU/Linux and that you
*cannot* do in Windows. And the reason for that is two-fold.

First of all, Microsoft does not feel that the user should be able to do
with their computer as they please, but only what Microsoft feels they
should be able to do. This works perfectly well with their "security
by obscurity"-approach and their elitarianism - i.e. you are supposed
to say dumb and if there then is something you cannot do, you must call
them, and they can sell you a service contract or something.

The second reason is the one that's most often overlooked by Microsoft
users but one that is even more important, namely the fact that Windows
was developed as the successor to the successor (OS/2) to a single-user
and single-tasking operating systm (DOS), which itself was a successor
to another single-user and single-tasking system for machines that
didn't even have hard disks (CP/M).

Conversely, GNU/Linux is a UNIX-/POSIX-family operating system, and UNIX
itself was developed as a multi-user and multi-tasking operating system
for minicomputers, which were operated by absolute geeks at the time -
although the same can be said about CP/M and DOS, really, because
microcomputers were not as widespread then as they are now.

> I found that OpenSuse gives this, but have some dificulties
> customizing it - don't get me wrong it works out-of-the-box with 3D
> and everything, but I like to tweake it a bit and add gnomenu so I can
> add any theme I like.
>
> Funny OpenSuse 11.3 works out-of-the-box with the Radeon driver where
> my Radeon 9100/8500(R200) card is supported with full 3D, but Ubuntu
> Lucid couldn't figure out to do that.

I'm sure it could, provided that you have the latest drivers. It may
however - emphasis on "may" - be so that Ubuntu uses an older free
software driver for your Radeon by default, given that it is based on
Debian, and although Debian does offer non-free software as well via
their very elaborate repositories, they generally prefer using only
certified free software, given Debian's affinity with the Free Software
Foundation.

> It's nice to see all the desktop effect's suplied by compiz.

Compiz is the compositing window manager for Gnome, but if you opt for
KDE 4.x, then you don't need Compiz anymore, as KDE 4 has a compositing
window manager of its own.

> I'm still learning and it helps that I keep my bookmarks on a usb
> stick so that if i have to reinstall then I no probs getting to my
> helppages again:)

Bookmarks is just one thing. Make sure you make backups of your
personal data, as well as of anything under "/etc" that you may have
changed from the defaults. And if you're running a server - which as I
gather does not apply to you at this stage - then backing up "/srv"
(or "/var/www" and "/var/ftp") and "/usr/local" might also be a good
idea.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:38:16 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> There is nothing you can do in Windows that you wouldn't be able to
> do in GNU/Linux

Become part of a Botnet or is that possible with wine?

Also some web sites with activeX controls will not function.

> First of all, Microsoft does not feel that the user should be able to do
> with their computer as they please

I would suggest that it is a lot stronger than "feel".

Microsoft believes that it is in their corporate interests that what
the user should be able to do is controlled by their software.
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 29 July 2010 22:49 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
J G Miller wrote...

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:38:16 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> There is nothing you can do in Windows that you wouldn't be able to
>> do in GNU/Linux
>
> Become part of a Botnet or is that possible with wine?

I have never used Wine - never had any need to ;-) - but I don't think
Wine would support that sort of thing. It is after all just a somewhat
limited ABI for Windows applications, but not a true Windows emulator.
It does not emulate the operating system-level vulnerabilities of
Windows. ;-)

> Also some web sites with activeX controls will not function.

True - albeit that Cedega or Crossover Office should be able to handle
those - but ActiveX is just one way of doing things. There are
alternatives to ActiveX, so in terms of functional equivalence,
GNU/Linux users can access similar content.

>> First of all, Microsoft does not feel that the user should be able to
>> do with their computer as they please
>
> I would suggest that it is a lot stronger than "feel".
>
> Microsoft believes that it is in their corporate interests that what
> the user should be able to do is controlled by their software.

I know, but I was being polite. ;-) For once, I didn't want to refer to
Microsoft as IT nazis and get Godwin thrown all over my posts. ;-)

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 29 July 2010 22:59 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
Aragorn wrote...

> On Thursday 29 July 2010 22:49 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
> as J G Miller wrote...
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:38:16 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> There is nothing you can do in Windows that you wouldn't be able to
>>> do in GNU/Linux
>>
>> Become part of a Botnet or is that possible with wine?
>
> I have never used Wine - never had any need to ;-) - but I don't think
> Wine would support that sort of thing. It is after all just a
> somewhat limited ABI for Windows applications, but not a true Windows
> emulator. It does not emulate the operating system-level
> vulnerabilities of Windows. ;-)

Addendum: GNU/Linux (or any other UNIX) machine can become part of a
botnet, but in a different way. In essence, the GNU/Linux or other
UNIX system wouldn't be part of the botnet directly, but UNIX systems
running an IRC server can become part of a botnet in the sense that
botnet drones often connect to IRC networks/servers in order to
communicate with eachother.

As such, a UNIX machine may be unwittingly contributing to the
operations of a botnet, but this is operating system-independent, and
may therefore not be seen as a vulnerability of the operating system.
It is the job of the network admins, server admins and IRCops of an IRC
network to spot such botnet IRC clients and deny them access to the
network or servers. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. ;-)

From: JBJ (4920) on
> [...]
> certified free software, given Debian's affinity with the Free Software
> Foundation.
>
>> It's nice to see all the desktop effect's suplied by compiz.
>
> Compiz is the compositing window manager for Gnome, but if you opt for
> KDE 4.x, then you don't need Compiz anymore, as KDE 4 has a compositing
> window manager of its own.
>
>> I'm still learning and it helps that I keep my bookmarks on a usb
>> stick so that if i have to reinstall then I no probs getting to my
>> helppages again:)
>
> Bookmarks is just one thing. Make sure you make backups of your
> personal data, as well as of anything under "/etc" that you may have
> changed from the defaults. And if you're running a server - which as I
> gather does not apply to you at this stage - then backing up "/srv"
> (or "/var/www" and "/var/ftp") and "/usr/local" might also be a good

Yes I did realize that its a hoax, just hadn't seen the site before:) I
can't stand Microsoft, though for now its a little more familiar to me than
Linux, but in the future hopefully I wil be able to support linux.

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)