From: Sam on

<ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> What is the best backup software for full
> images?
>
> Will it work on Win7 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit?
> (I still have not decided which way to go.)
>
> THanks,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I use Macrium Reflect Free, have been for about a year. Small easy to use
and you have the option of two CD's or USB boot for restore. I had trouble
with Hal.dll so it was used quite often, never had it fail to do a good
restore. You can read the review on.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,76071-order,4/description.html
Sam

From: Tony Harding on
On 07/29/10 07:26, RnR wrote:
> In article<4c514507$0$5000$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, rasilon(a)aol.com says...
>>
>> I like Acronis or Paragon
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services
>> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
>>
>> On 7/28/2010 9:30 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the best backup software for full
>>> images?
>>>
>>> Will it work on Win7 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit?
>>> (I still have not decided which way to go.)
>>>
>>> THanks,
>
> Hank, is Acronis 10 100% compliant with windows 7 now? I thought I read
> like 6 months ago people complaining it was not or am I mixing it up
> with another brand? Do you have a preference of Acronis or Paragon?
> Do either backup open files in windows 7 x64 ?

Maybe you're thinking of something else or remembering old info (I think
Acronis did have problems with Win 7 early on)? My XPS9000 was delivered
12/31/09 (Happy New Year! <g>) and bought (downloaded) Acronis True
Image Home 2010 a couple of days later -- never an issue with TI and
64-bit Win7, both Home Premium (from Dell) & Professional (what I really
needed). I restored system disks several times in my experiments without
a hiccup.

If I understand your question re: copying open files correctly, yes, it
uses Volume Shadow Copy technology[*].

I've been using Acronis True Image Home since 10/2006 and am completely
satisfied with it. FWIW, I'm a retired IT person and take backups very
seriously.

HTH,
Tony H.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy
From: Hank Arnold on
I'm using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 (10.0.11345) on W7 Ultimate
32-bit with no problems.

From: Bob Pownall on
On 8/1/2010 3:27 AM, Hank Arnold wrote:
> I'm using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 (10.0.11345) on W7 Ultimate
> 32-bit with no problems.

Hank,

I had been looking some at Acronis for backup on W7 Professional 32-bit.

I see several options under "Backup and Recovery". (e.g. "Advanced
Server", "Advanced Server Virtual Edition", "Server for Windows", ...)
Which would you suggest for a home user? Or do you think Acronis is
overkill for my situation?

Bob Pownall

From: Hank Arnold on
Those are heavy duty backup programs for networks & servers. You want
the "Acronis� True Image Home 2010" version. You can get it directly
from Acronis for $30. You can download a free trial (probably good for
14 - 30 days)

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

Acronis certainly isn't "overkill". It's cheap peace of mind.